Author Topic: #603: Sully / Nordic Cinema Marathon Awards  (Read 1870 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
#603: Sully / Nordic Cinema Marathon Awards
« on: September 16, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »

When a couple of American movie icons pair up, it’s sometimes a little surprising to realize that they’ve never worked together before. In the case of SULLY, it’s Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks - and if the movie becomes an Oscar favorite, you can count on Adam and Josh fighting about it from now til February as the film sparks another debate. Plus, Filmspotting rolls out the red carpet for 'The Sad Tubas', honoring the best of the show's recent Contemporary Nordic Cinema Marathon.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:10:20 PM by saltine »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

wolf

Re: #603: Sully / Nordic Cinema Marathon Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
Like Adam, my expectations were pretty low for this but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.  There's a surprising amount of suspense as the events unfold (even though you know how it ends) and I left the theater inspired.  Like United 93, I enjoyed the "process" part of the story and thought Eastwood & screenplay did a great job of getting the details right.   

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »
Josh is exactly correct about Sully. The fake tension of the investigation was basically an exercise  to demonize government bureaucrats.

I am surprised neither of you mentioned the bizarre editing and structure. The time jumps added nothing and seemed there only to mask the paper thin narrative. 

This article from slate really nails it http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2016/09/sully_is_the_perfect_fantasy_for_the_post_fact_era_of_the_brexit_and_trump.html
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:21:34 PM by Clovis8 »

wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:12:04 PM »
Josh is exactly correct about Sully. The fake tension of the investigation was basically an exercise  to demonize government bureaucrats.

I am surprised neither of you mentioned the bizarre editing and structure. The time jumps added nothing and seemed there only to mask the paper thin narrative. 

This article from slate really nails it http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2016/09/sully_is_the_perfect_fantasy_for_the_post_fact_era_of_the_brexit_and_trump.html

Was the tension fake because of the political baggage you had while watching? 

Consider this statement about Hell or High-Water. 

"The fake tension of the drama was basically an exercise to demonize bankers."

What's the difference assuming you believe Eastwood has the artistic license to deviate from the facts of the story (stated in the credits btw). 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:23:52 PM by wolf »

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:25:17 PM »

What's the difference assuming you believe Eastwood has the artistic license to deviate from the facts of the story (stated in the credits btw).

I didn't have political baggage. The film did.

wolf

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:40:35 PM »

The Slate article is entirely unconvincing.  It says:

"There’s no problem with using artistic license to inject a true story with the kind of conflict you need to fuel a feature-length Hollywood drama...The movie makes a villain of the technocrats with their scientific method..."

That's all the needed to be said.  Instead, Slate gets into Clint's personal political preferences and makes unwarranted assumptions about hating bureaucrats. 

The exact same reasoning could be used to dismiss Hell or Highwater by observing bankers are the villains and the director is a fan of Bernie Sanders. 

Is that valid criticism?

wolf

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 08:48:29 PM »

From another post of yours:

"This is getting scary with Trump's shakeup. He is not going to win but his hate-filled campaign is going to normalize, even if a little, his corrosive and regressive ideas.

The next guy, no matter how reprehensible, will seem moderate in comparison. This is not good."

No political baggage at all, yeah right, no wonder you loved the Slate article. 

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »
You can disagree about a movie without attacking each other's politics. Please stick to discussion of the film in this thread.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

wolf

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »
You can disagree about a movie without attacking each other's politics. Please stick to discussion of the film in this thread.
Sorry, not meant as an attack on his politics (I'm no Trump fan!) but I can see where political priors in this case would cloud one's judgment on evaluating a movie. 

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »
If the Mad Magazine writing staff isn't working on something called "Silly" as we speak, well, then, shame on them.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love