love

Author Topic: #605: Top 5 Denzel Performances with W. Kamau Bell / The Mag Seven / Buñuel 1  (Read 1282 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather

Denzel Washington has been nominated for an Oscar in every decade since the ‘80s. He’s been a consistently bankable star for just about that long, too. And yet, do we still take Denzel for granted? With Washington’s THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN remake currently in theaters, special guest W. Kamau Bell joins Adam and Josh to look back on the actor’s career with the Top 5 Denzel Washington Performances. Plus, the first pair of films in the latest Filmspotting Marathon, devoted to the career of the Spanish-born surrealist Luis Bunuel - his 1929 collaboration with Salvador Dali UN CHIEN ANDALOU and 1930's L'AGE D'OR.

Texan Down Under

Totoro

AHHHHH YISSSSS

What is this, a crossover episode?!  :D

Seriously though. What. A. Treat. Two favorite podcasts coming together. WE NEED MORE OF THIS.

Teproc

• Elite Member
Well, I kinda thought Bell was completely wrong for the show tonally (even though I like that podcast too). I do like that Adam & Josh have been going for more varied guests lately, but I was glad it was just for the first segment. :)
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

LukeM

• Letterboxd
Really enjoyed this episode. Somehow I still haven't seen Training Day, but hearing so much about it on this episode made me want to, along with He Got Game and Malcolm X. One Denzel movie I really love that didn't get mentioned is Cry Freedom, Richard Attenborough's 1987 movie about Stephen Biko and Donald Woods. Has anyone else seen this one? I don't usually like bio pics but I thought it was really good. I also had a chance to watch the 2 Bunuel movies. I think Adam and Josh took the conversation as far it could go as far as figuring out what these movies mean, or what they could mean. I was really curious about Dali's involvement with the movies. How much of the surrealism was from Dali, and how much from Bunuel? I know Dali also helped Hitchcock design the dream sequence in Spellbound, and I wonder how much of how dream sequences are now filmed come from Dali's work. These 2 Bunuel movies seem to me to be (possibly) rooted in psychoanalysis. The strange pairings of images in Un Chien Andalou resist interpretation, according to Bunuel, while the dream sequence in Spellbound can be interpreted, and it's the dream's interpretation via psychoanalysis that leads to the film's resolution.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
I put He Got Game and Man on Fire in my queue because of this episode.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
I put He Got Game and Man on Fire in my queue because of this episode.

The first time I watched Man of Fire, I caught it on cable and missed the beginning, but I entered at the perfect in medias res point and really liked the film. When I went back later to watch the full film, I realized that I'd actually missed a full hour (!) the first time around, and the film had been much better for it.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Man on Fire is good, no matter which way you see it.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Man on Fire is good, no matter which way you see it.
People know this. Right?  :D

I know a lot of them might actually be crap but Tony Scott and Denzel films are essential. Ok maybe not the Pelham remake.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:18:58 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love