The Shining (1980)
4 (16%)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
1 (4%)
The Thing (1982)
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: October 31, 2016, 10:13:06 PM

Author Topic: Shocktober Horror Movie Deathmatch  (Read 3539 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Shocktober Horror Movie Deathmatch
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 02:22:53 PM »
I hope you don't accidentally find one of the extended cuts. The 91-minute version is what you're looking for. (I think the extended version if 100-103 min.) If you get to a scene early on where Dr. Loomis meets two doctors from the mental institution where Michael Myers is being kept you're watching the wrong version.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
Predator

Rarely have I seen a film so filled with testosterone.  Mano v. mano in every scene, I think even Predator must inject himself with steroids before he gets ready for his hunting party.  He doesn't care about lesser pray, he must have The Most Dangerous Game.  It's all fun, and Schwarzenegger is at his serious, swaggering best.  Still, I can't help but compare this to Aliens and think that the action/horror mix was better there.  In fact, I'm having a hard time seeing Predator as a horror film at all.  The thrills seemed much more of a "go get 'em Arnold" rather than a fear that we might be got. 

3.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »
Yea, it's super hyper-masculine to the point of absurdity. I enjoy it as the ultimate '80s flick. Slasher/sci-fi/action romp with one of the '80s biggest stars.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
It's so good for that.  It is its own parody without needing to make a single joke.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »
I revisited Halloween on the big screen this month. Review forthcoming. It's definitely worth watching, though I'd probably rank it ninth or tenth in this particular death match. But it's worth noting that Michael Myers predates Jason Voorhees by a couple of years.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2016, 05:48:03 PM »
Also Michael Myers begins as a character while Jason Voorhees is always a killing machine. You never relate Voorhees to his mother or what we see at the end of the first movie.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »
Calling Myers a character is a stretch. Carpenter himself stresses the importance of keeping him a total cipher, as I recall.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
Yea, that's why I never felt the need to watch anything beyond the first Halloween. If we're going to follow the monster from movie to movie, I'd like him to have some personality.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2016, 11:15:07 PM »
Carpenter set out to make him the living embodiment of the Boogieman. He is described as pure soulless evil. Yet, there are moments in the film where you can see Michael's humanity. He is both clumsy and curious in his actions. He doesn't kill just to kill, but is interested in watching something die, and he does this with a childlike fascination. This continues in the 2nd film, but the direction and new actor playing Michael is from the opposite end of the original's skill level so the movie is a failure. By the 4th film Michael had indeed become a soulless killing machine. Interestingly, as Friday the 13th went on they tried to inject some humanity into Jason, but it was too late to turn that around.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 03:32:33 AM »
Thanks for the cut advice 1SO. The one I brought home is 91 minutes but I almost took some sort of 2004 remake instead. The director is literally called Rob Zombie for goodness sake...
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/