Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 6368 times)

MattDrufke

Re: Westworld
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 07:26:22 AM »
Right now, this show is doing everything it should be- filling the screen with interesting characters and leaving me wonder what is going to happen next or trying to figure out what the big picture is.
@ihatemattdrufke

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »
I would join in if I had HBO. I saw a commercial for this and it looked intriguing.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »
Very much liked episode 2. More Thandie Newton is always a good thing, and I've always liked Jimmi Simpson.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »
Ha! Would you look at that? Who would have thought that a TV adaptation of a pretty silly movie would be so interesting and well-made? And with a pretty killer cast to boot. Anybody else check out the premiere?

So let me get this straight: You watched the premiere of a series you thought was going to bomb ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 08:33:03 PM »
No, I watched the pilot of a series I thought had a very good chance of going wrong. If I was right, it'd be an hour wasted. If it turned out good, as it did, hooray! New series! You do this every time you watch anything.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 01:53:21 AM »
Yeah but don't you usually do it for series with a lesser probability of going wrong ?

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »
The second episode was miles better than the pilot. Hopefully, it continues at this level. Though the concept still really feels like a limited series. Can this idea really sustain six or seven seasons?

I had pretty much the opposite reaction. Really liked the pilot, but found the second episode way too conventional. I miss the HBO golden years.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 07:25:49 AM »
I've seen reports that say they've got a plan for five seasons. Sounds ambitious but they know how audiences hate "making it up as they go," so I believe them.

They do ? I mean, I do hate that, and I am sure there are other people who share my tastes to some extent, but the general public at large ? Would the history of popular television not suggest otherwise ?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 05:40:26 AM »
I watched the first two episodes of Westworld after witnessing the general enthusiasm for it around here. Good thing I check out the television threads every now and then.

It is pretty good so far. I love the amorality of it all, of course, and the « What if no consequences » premise of the park. It is all so delightfully twisted, I might just hang on for the sole sake of watching what kind of new tortures and unusual abuse the newcomers come up with, even if the plot becomes subpar.

Only an American company would have made this an Old West setting. I wonder what other countries would have come up with. An occupied Moorish town in Portugal ; an Inquisition period village in Spain ; a Versailles-style court in France ; a Roman setting in Italy, complete with orgies et all ; a collection of wild colonies on course of being "civilised" in Britannia ; German tribes at war East of the Rhine ; samurai stuff in Japan ; an ancient construction site in Egypt, complete with the appropriate amount of slaves ; in Australia...well, just regular Australia.

I would love to have a whole episode just dedicated to the economics of this company. Their operating costs are clearly colossal, with the constant repairing of the hosts and the sheer size of it all. How much must it cost to spend just a few days there ?

About the hosts, are these technically robots ? There does not seem to be any mechanical component in them. Their flesh is clearly synthetic, and their minds can be interacted with like a computer's, but how does that work ?

Back to what actually happens. The writing has some low points. Some twists or reveals are just a tad too expected or cliché. Some things make little sense: it cannot possibly be legal to bring children along to rape-land.

The plot seems to be heading into an achievement of sentience and hidden deeper purpose direction. The first one is a staple of robot narratives, so I hope they will keep it original. And am I the only one who thinks those fleas are related to the hosts "awaking" ?

Also, this has the best opening credits since The Night Manager.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 06:58:07 AM »
Also, this has the best opening credits since The Night Manager.

It actually reminded me of the opening credits for Black Sails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTcA4QLHw0#no