Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 6367 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: Westworld
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 03:25:09 PM »
I enjoyed the finale too. Was it a surprise to anyone that William was The Man In Black? I feel like a lot of people figured it out only a couple episodes in.

It's a bummer that we'll probably have to wait 14+ months for the next season.

MattDrufke

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:24 AM »
I enjoyed the finale too. Was it a surprise to anyone that William was The Man In Black? I feel like a lot of people figured it out only a couple episodes in.

Sadly, I've read too many articles about the show that speculated that to be surprised.

The new theory being floated around is that Ford is still alive and that Delores merely killed a host of himself that he made.
@ihatemattdrufke

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 07:36:35 AM »

Sadly, I've read too many articles about the show that speculated that to be surprised.

The new theory being floated around is that Ford is still alive and that Delores merely killed a host of himself that he made.

Same here. I do wonder if i would've come to the theory myself if it wasn't for the Decoding Westworld podcast.

I think that's a plausible theory. I don't think I'd like it though. If no one is actually dying then where's the stakes?

Also, was that Clem who fired the shot at the end?

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »
That was one of the more chilling endings I've seen to a season in a while. The final image of Dolores and just the idea that all along Ford's utopia might be more of a dystopia (at least for the humans)... just give Anthony Hopkins all the monologues, I love how you see him go through the motions as he delivers them.

Also- Samurai World? Oh and there was a post-credits scene if anyone didn't watch all the way through and wants to go back.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

MattDrufke

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »
Loved the post-credits sequence so effing much.
@ihatemattdrufke

dassix

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:58 PM »

It was a surprise to me when it happened.   :(

However, I did watch the series hearing very little about it before.  The concept of the show allows for some great possibilities, I just don't know if it's for me.  I'll give season 2 a chance...

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
Westworld Season 2, Episode 10

I’ve never enjoyed a series so much and been so absolutely un-CINECAST!ing-certain of what’s going on.
I love the unsure ground of the narrative/timeline.
I love the poignant moments of humanity brought by the hosts.
It certainly is an ugly mirror they hold up to humans.
Excellent season.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:56:20 PM by St. Martin the Bald »
Hey, nice marmot!

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2018, 10:00:44 PM »
I love the unsure ground of the narrative/timeline.

I thought the season was hit and miss and this was my biggest problem. There was too much jumping around with the timelines and I’m still not even sure what things happened when.

There was many times when Bernard jumped back and forth to different locations with different people. Was that just messing around with the timeline or was there multiple Bernard’s? When we saw that room full of Bernard’s it hit me that there was multiples of him and I was stupid for not realizing but now I’m not so sure.

The end to one of the early episodes had Bernard and someone else looking over the ocean with a bunch of dead hosts in there. When did that happen?

Actually I think Bernard is my biggest problem. Every part of his storyline I found boring.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2018, 05:31:37 AM »
Some thoughts know that I've finished season 2:

They still haven't explained how the guns work and I really feel they should have at some point.

The ending of the storywriter's arc was out of character and I didn't like it. Also, unnecessary.

This show seems to make the classic mistake that if you're able to digitise your consciousness that makes you immortal when all you're doing is creating a copy. It really is obvious for a common sci-fi trope.

Nothing about the corporate decisions in the season makes any sense. I don't care how important the datafile is to them, the company would never sacrifice all its clients and board members like that. And at the end a rescue worker puts two of the rescued coders back to work five minutes after they've been saved. Everybody on that island should be getting free spa treatments and million dollar non-disclosure agreements.

Does the Indian arc make sense with their behaviour in season 1?

I had the same problem with season 1, but the show keeps on hating on the humans for their treatment of the hosts but that is completely unfair because they're convinced they're just playing with unconscious toys who cannot feel pain. The show doesn't even ever clarify if they do indeed feel pain or if they're just programmed to act like they do - even though what we're meant to believe is quite clear. ford murdered a bunch of innocent people and Dolores has no reason to be that angry. 

Am I to believe there are no hosts on the outside? Really? This amazing, breakthrough technology is only available in a theme park for millionaires? I mean, we're already building robot brothels with (in comparison) shitty ass silicon machines, but in this world no one saw the business opportunity of mass producing a few Dolores's?

No way 4 million people can afford the park, even over 30 years. By any account it would be prohibitively expensive.

How do people not know about Arnold? Seriously, it's like Steve Wozniak died after the Mac 2 and no one remembers him, to the point that there is a clone of him working at Apple and no one's the wiser. Even William's never seen a photo of him!

About William: What?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2020, 05:17:09 PM »
Season 3 started so strong but has become a bit messy. I'm getting last season GoT vibes with how some of the characters are just showing up in certain places.

Introducing something like Rehoboam and dealing with it within the same season, only 6 or so episodes, is too much i think. I also feel like the repercussions of releasing everyone's future was unrealistic. Even in this world. Rioting in the streets in 10 minutes? I don't think so.

Ed Harris has been great this season. The William group therapy session from episode 7 is a standout for the whole show i think.

love