love

Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 6403 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Westworld
« on: October 03, 2016, 12:58:09 AM »
Ha! Would you look at that? Who would have thought that a TV adaptation of a pretty silly movie would be so interesting and well-made? And with a pretty killer cast to boot. Anybody else check out the premiere?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MattDrufke

Re: Westworld
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 06:59:58 AM »
I did!

Man, this had the feel of it's producer (JJ Abrams) and writer (Jonathan Nolan) all over it. This first hour definitely felt like a small look into a world getting ready to reveal a bigger picture, all while watching the world around it start to go terribly, terribly wrong.

I really liked Evan Rachel Wood in this. And Ed Harris will be haunting my nightmares for the next ten weeks.
@ihatemattdrufke

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »
Great premiere episode.

Really it just feels great to watch something that feels and looks fresh and original. Yes I realize it's based on a film, but there's nothing quite like this on television and I'm having a hard time thinking of a comparison at least on TV. This definitely looks like a more "cinematic" series (a phrase which I'm always hesitant to use, I've always thought of episodes as mini-movies and a season as just one long movie).

Maybe it's just the Crichton association, but Hopkins' Dr. Ford feels just like Richard Attenborough from Jurassic Park. I love that sort of character. Someone who might be pushing the boundaries of science into dangerous territory, but you understand his position and maybe even see the value in it. I feel like there's a lot more to him.

I mean the whole cast and everything about this just gets an A+ from me, what a ride (no pun intended).
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »
I liked Jonathan Nolan's last show (Person of Interest), so I'm definitely interested in this one. But since it's on HBO, not sure how I'm gonna watch it.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »
I overheard a discussion of Westworld (the Yul Brynner movie) while on a train passing under the English Channel last week. It seemed so delightfully random, but I wasn't aware of the tv series until just now.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
I haven't see the original film, but for those that have seen or know about the film and have seen the show (speculation ahead) does anyone think the Ed Harris character is connected to Yul Byrnner (both being men in black)? I've read a few fun theories and there is that line that the Harris character has about "coming to the park a long time" or something like that. I'm kind of waiting for him or someone else who we as the audience believe to be human end up actually being a robot and somehow not able to be detected by either groups.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
Really didn't work for me. I just didn't care about anyone. At all. The robots were bland by design, but the humans managed to be even more boring.

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »
Just watched it tonight.  It has a killer concept and looks great, and there are a lot of possibilities of where they can go. I do feel like the show revels a little too much in the sadistic side.  And there are some very on-the-nose lines from Anthony Hopkins. It also takes its story very seriously. A bit too much. With all that said, I think there's a lot of potential and will keep watching.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
The second episode was miles better than the pilot. Hopefully, it continues at this level. Though the concept still really feels like a limited series. Can this idea really sustain six or seven seasons?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
I've seen reports that say they've got a plan for five seasons. Sounds ambitious but they know how audiences hate "making it up as they go," so I believe them.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love