8 (40%)
10 Cloverfield Lane
4 (20%)
Green Room
7 (35%)
Don't Breathe
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Let Me Out! - Don't Breathe, Green Room and 10 Cloverfield Lane  (Read 716 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Let Me Out! - Don't Breathe, Green Room and 10 Cloverfield Lane
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »
I finally caught up with Don't Breathe, so I've seen this trifecta now. There are definitely some interesting comparisons to make. They all fall into a similar category of high-concept thriller that I really love, but that commonly are either stretched too thin across a feature, or end up being too "clever" for their own good.

Of the three, I found Don't Breathe to fall a little too much into that "too clever" category, crossing over into "too contrived" a few too many times. 10 Cloverfield occasionally flirts with the same, but ultimately I found that it's tight-knit contrivances did serve the film without being too distracting.

Green Room might be the best of the bunch (though some of the stuff in the finale I found to dip in quality), but I agree with Teproc's summary of it as a purely visceral experience, whereas 10 Cloverfield gave me more to enjoy, putting it higher on my list of desired rewatches.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 06:05:51 AM »
Green Room
10 Cloverfield Lane

Don't know that I'll watch the third one.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »
10 Cloverfield Lane is by far the best IMO.

I do think that the contention that the characters in Don't Breathe aren't likable and the contention that Alvarez is trying to get us on the burglars' side is a little in conflict. When we see Money pissing at the first burglary (robbery involves use of threat against a person), it did pretty much lose me, because it's just so very dumb. They at least make some effort with Rocky by showing her bad living situation and need to protect her younger sister, but otherwise it is "because Detroit is awful" as a motivation.

I do think Don't Breathe has some interesting cinematography, just interesting camera movement and such, but I didn't find the story all that compelling and it felt like it went on way too long. The Blind Man gets painted as way too much of a monster ultimately, and the film pisses me off by making him use atheism as his justification for amorality.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 03:53:12 AM »
Seen all now, not changing my vote.

Green Room
Don't Breathe

10 Cloverfield Lane
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love