love

Author Topic: Antares' Half Century of Life and Films Marathon  (Read 12050 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Antares' Half Century of Life and Films Marathon
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »
Bracket favourite Cat People (1982)!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »
L'avventura (1960) 60/100 - Lot's of pretty people, lots of pretty shots and lots of time wasted on lots of nothing. It's very rare that I can't wait for a film to end, but this definitely was one of them. Too bad, because I felt that the first 40 minutes showed potential for a very good film. But once they gave up looking for Anna, it becomes meandering and meaningless. I think what bothered me most was how abruptly things would shift from one scene to another. First they're looking for Anna, then when they can't find her, Sandro fixates on Claudia. Claudia, doesn't want to have anything to do with Sandro, but in a blink of an eye, she's madly in love with him. My rating is only for Monica Vitti and for the wonderful cinematography, the film's only saving graces.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »
 :D

When she went and put her hands up on him, I wanted her to ring his scrawny neck! That would have made my time with the movie worth while.

valmz

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
L'avventura (1960) 60/100 - But once they gave up looking for Anna, it becomes meandering and meaningless. I think what bothered me most was how abruptly things would shift from one scene to another. First they're looking for Anna, then when they can't find her, Sandro fixates on Claudia. Claudia, doesn't want to have anything to do with Sandro, but in a blink of an eye, she's madly in love with him.
Despite not particularly liking the film, in describing what you don't like about the film you have described exactly what it is that Antonioni is trying to say, I think. See his thoughts below:

"Why do you think eroticism is so prevalent today in our literature, our theatrical shows, and elsewhere? It is a symptom of the emotional sickness of our time. But this preoccupation with the erotic would not become so obsessive if Eros were healthy, that is, if it were kept within human proportions. But Eros is sick; man is uneasy, something is bothering him. And whenever something bothers him, man reacts, but he reacts badly, only on erotic impulse, and he is unhappy."

Pg. 31: http://books.google.com/books?id=bv_wUL_-9g4C

It's one of my favorite films to rewatch, as well, so maybe you'll enjoy it more the second time through.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2018, 08:51:42 PM »
This marathon will consist of viewing one film (Which I haven't seen yet) from every year of my life. Hopefully, it won't take me fifty years to finish. ;)

Another marathon I forgot about, and it looks like it might take 50 years to finish. Going to have to restart this one too.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »
According to Criticker, I watched this back in February of 2014, this is what I wrote...

Shaun of the Dead (2004) 59/100 - I counted three laughs during this one, with most of the stuff laying an egg. I probably would have liked it more if I were one to watch the genre they're spoofing. But I'm not into horror films, unless their of the Universal or Hammer period, and I definitely hate anything with zombies in it. With the exception of Val Lewton's I Walked with a Zombie.

love