Author Topic: Everything Changed when the Kimes Family Attacked...  (Read 6077 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Everything Changed when the Kimes Family Attacked...
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 01:07:26 AM »
Episode 1.10: Jet

Oldkid: So, this episode is all about Sokka's feelings.

Mrs. Oldkid: His feelings or his instincts?

Oldkid: Sokka gets upset, a lot. And he has instincts.

Mrs. Oldkid: I feel like the episode was about styles of leadership. Or what makes a good leader.

DeathImpacto: Katara's guide to breaking up with guys: Freeze them to a tree. Or the nearest tall thing that you can't escape from.

Oldkid: Like, freezing their tongue to a pole.
Okay, so it's about leadership.  Sokka leads by his feelings.  His guts.  His splachna.

DI: What is that?

Oldkid: It's Greek for "compassion" or "guts".

DI: I like that word.

Ideathy: So what if someone says, "You tore out my splachna."

Oldkid: They'd be amazing.  I couldn't say that if someone just tore out MY guts.

DI: Is that the equivalent of "heart."

Oldkid: I suppose that would be our equivalent.  But it just isn't as gooey to say "heart".

DI: It's a lot more fun to say "splachna."

Oldkid: So Katara had a full crush going on in this episode.  But I'm not impressed by her choices.  Her splachna wasn't making good choices, I think.

DI: No, her hormones were making all her choices.

Ideathy: It ISN'T a full crush. See, when you have a "full on crush" you basically just...you can be a little stalker-y. Trust me...I'm a sixteen year old girl. That's what you call "puppy love" where you just go "OMG they're so cute" but get over it quickly. If it were a typical crush, she'd still be brokenhearted the next episode. Jet doesn't even come up again really for another 2 seasons. Katara is high school aged, that's how crushes should be going for her. She isn't like that. So obviously her splachna isn't fully in line with her head and age, too...

Oldkid: So, you have personal experience in this, hmmmm?

Ideathy: Yes.

Oldkid: Changing subject.

Ideathy: I can tell you exactly when it...

Oldkid: Well, the fall colors were nice, weren't they?  But poor Momo, caught in a trap.  And Pipsqueak.  I really liked Jet's henchmen, even if Jet himself was a jerk.

Ideathy: Pipsqueak was fine.  He had lychee nuts.

Oldkid: Just as long as he had food, he could stay up in the air for weeks.  So, the lesson we learn from this episode is that killing off innocent towns people is... bad.

DI: Did we mention that Katara's crush was named "Jet"?  And that the episode was named after him?  I'm sticking with the word "crush", yes.

Ideathy continues her rant on crush, puppy love, etc.  No one is actually listening to her anymore.

Oldkid: Are we done here?

Mrs. Oldkid: Stick a fork in us.  We're done.  Although cooking teacher would say, "Don't use a fork!  Use a thermometer!"

DI: Really, we aren't violent.

Ideathy: I am.

DI: I meant me and mother.

Ideathy: I hit him (pointing at Oldkid).

Oldkid sits innocently.

Oldkid: Well, that's it for today.  Stay tuned to next time when Ideathy says,

Ideathy: We have an abusive father-daughter relationship.  Only the daughter is the abusive one.

Oldkid: TTFN!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
Is this the episode with the tree rebels? I really liked that one. Shows the complexity of the whole world. It's surprising how political this series is for a "kids" show.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »
Yes, it is.

I like the idea of it as well.  It shows that a hundred years later there are still organized fights against their oppressors, and that a variety of approaches and philosophies of the rebels exist. 

Aang, as the hero, is the Buddhist path, remaining content and peaceful within himself in order to create peace in the world. 

Jet is the revolutionary who doesn't care who gets sacrificed for the sake of the new world he is creating.  What the show doesn't display is that this path creates a world as violent as the one he wants to leave behind.  Jet's path is the path of racism, national hatred and never ending war.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »
I mean with those kind of traits who wouldn't want to date Jet?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »
I didn't like that episode. It was too derivative ; one little adventure, disconnected from the larger plot, with no repercussions, unless you count when they meet again three seasons later. That was one of my main problems with Avatar: too many tangents.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
What is life but tangents?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »
The tangents are great.  I think it makes the world all that richer. 

Avatar is, ultimately, an odyssey, a quest for the peace of the world.  There are many characters and cultures and viewpoints, as well as magics and jealousies and philosophies.  It is an adventure in which the inner life counts as much as the outer action.  And the more characters, the more divergent situations, the more we see the combination of inner and outer life working together.

The tangents also keep the story from basically being Pokemon with a spiritual side.  It isn't the same story again and again.  It is the same characters meeting very different situations.  We get to see how the world is changed, not by the drive of the characters, but by their relationships with a variety of people, all of whom come together at the end.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »
Pokemon is a series of tangents that are always the same. Strong season arcs are what keeps a show from becoming Pokemon. Don't be Pokemon, drive safely, avoid tangents.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 07:00:04 PM »
I strongly disagree.

The tangents in Avatar tie together in the end to make a single world change.  That's the difference between Pokemon, the never-ending wandering, and Avatar.  Avatar has an end-game in mind and is pushing toward a goal.  And almost every episode moves toward that goal, including the one on Jet.

IdeaThy12

• I made the image I'm using for myprofile alsois oc
    • The Fiction Hub~
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 11:22:26 PM »
Y'all know that Pokemon now has an "adult" series, right? It's called Pokemon Generations.

As for all this to do with tangents...idk.
It's all getting to a goal, yeah. But I will agree that their are better ways to go about it...
"Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things. It just means you have to accept what happened and continue living." ~Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)

~Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail)

love