love

Author Topic: Everything Changed when the Kimes Family Attacked...  (Read 6071 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Everything Changed when the Kimes Family Attacked...
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
All that hot Brock on skillet action.  ;D

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »
All that hot Brock on skillet action.  ;D

MY FAVORITE!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:32:22 PM by pixote »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 10:48:46 PM »
Episode 1.11-- The Great Divide

Ideathy: This was an episode about how Aang is a kind of a bit of a liar.

DeathImpacto: He only lies when necessary

Mrs. Oldkid: This episode is setting up the fact that Aang is the peacemaker.

DI: Even if it means lying.

Mrs. O: That's the twelve year old part of him.

Oldkid: It is interesting that you have a Peacemaking 101 in this episode.  First, let each person say their own side of the conflict.  Second, everyone has to listen to each other's side.  Usually everyone has a part that's right and a part that's wrong.  Third, the mediator lies to everyone to make peace.  That's the important part.

DI: You do that all the time.  It's your job.

Oldkid: In pastoral studies, it's not called "lying", it's called "theology."

Mrs. O: Truth benders!  I know some people who's pretty skilled at that.

Oldkid: I agree that this episode is setting up Aang as a...

Ideathy: A liar.

Oldkid: A peacemaker.

DI: And confirmation that Katara likes bad boys.

Oldkid: So we see some of the same principles going on in the overall series.  Each of the nations has their own "side" to tell, even the Fire Nation.  Although we know that the Fire Nation Leader's gotta go.  We don't want to hear his side.  But the basic principles established here are significant for the whole series.

Ideathy: Aang doesn't do as much peacemaking in the animation as he does in the comics.

Oldkid: I guess I'm saying that the principles are at work in the show, whether Aang directs it or not.  And that's why this episode is a significant show-builder, even though we don't see these characters again.

Ideathy: I guess Aang does do a lot of peacemaking in Team Avatar.  Which doesn't get along.

Oldkid: So which of the refugees would you be more comfortable with?

Ideathy: Aang.

Oldkid: Not what I meant.  I mean which group of refugees... and I don't remember their names.

Ideathy: Aang.

DeathImpacto: I want to be with the old and sick people. 

Oldkid: They got to ride Appa.  Airplane instead of a 24 hour hike.

DeathI: You'd have to deal with them arguing before they touched down, but hopefully they'd stop soon after.

Oldkid: After recently watching three Alien movies, the Crawlers seemed pretty Alien-like.  I got creeped out.  Even though they looked like logs.  With legs.

DeathI: Furry logs.

Oldkid: Still, I wouldn't want to be stuck in the bottom of a canyon with them.  Sokka's word of truth for the day?

Ideathy: "I only took their side because they fed me."

Oldkid: Ding-ding-ding!  We have a winner!  I guess that's it.  Stay tuned next time to hear Mrs. Oldkid say...

Mrs. Oldkid: Something.

Oldkid: Okay!

IdeaThy12

• I made the image I'm using for myprofile alsois oc
    • The Fiction Hub~
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »
On the note of Brock, though...

"Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things. It just means you have to accept what happened and continue living." ~Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)

~Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 11:19:13 PM »
Episode 1.12-- The Storm

Oldkid: Big episode!  Big revelations!

Ideathy: Then why do I feel like not saying anything about it?

Oldkid: Because it wasn't so big for you?  You thought they already revealed these plot points, didn't you?

Ideathy: No....

Oldkid: because you're lazy and you don't want to talk?

Ideathy: Probably...

Oldkid: Okay, then I'm going to monologue.   We got an episode that gives background to both Aang and Zuko.  We get Aangs guilt for wanting to run away when he discovered at 12 that he was the Avatar and the fate of the world was in his hands.  And Zuko's duel with his own father is revealed, where he got his scar, and his anxiety to capture the Avatar.

Ideathy: I like Zuko.  Very developed.  Possibly the most developed character in the story.

DeathImpacto: May he's the character that develops the most over the series, but not the most developed character.

Ideathy: He has the deepest personality out of all of them.  That's what makes you want the most developed characters.

DI: He's pretty shallow at first.

Ideathy: But he has the most character development.

Mrs. Oldkid: So, Ideathy is talking about the character arc.  Iroh is just as deep.

Ideathy: But he isn't as deep.

Oldkid: I think Iroh would disagree with you. 

Ideathy: Iroh quotes passages.  While you might call Zuko cliche, when the show happened, it was not cliche.  So many shows use the same kind of character arc that Zuko shows.  Bad guy turned good, father rejected, banished prince, etc. 

Oldkid: But Iroh really is a deep character.  He loves tea, for example. Anyone who loves tea is deep.  He's mystical, he's the general turned peacemaker, and he doesn't just quote passages.

DeathImpacto: Which episode is this?

Ideathy: The Storm.  The one with awesome old people.  The fisherman couple.

Oldkid: They are awesome.  They have great bad attitudes.

The conversation devolves into talking about Hugh Jackman's agelessness.
Ideathy: I guess we have nothing more to say.

Oldkid: I do!  I want to point out the reason Aang was frozen for a hundred years.  In this episode, Aang was in the water during a storm just like a hundred years ago.  Aang heads into the Avatar state, where he has no personal control over his actions, both times.  This time, the Avatar state uses his airbending powers to escape the storm.  A hundred years ago the Avatar state chose to freeze Aang and Appa for a hundred years.  Aang didn't do this at all.  The Avatar state made its own choice.  So Aang shouldn't feel guilty, it was out of his hands.  The Avatar state chose his destiny.  As usual.

DeathImpacto: So the Avatar state is like hormones.

Oldkid: I don't know what to say to that.  Okay, I think we're done tonight.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2016, 01:51:23 AM »
Episode 1.13-- The Blue Spirit

Ideathy: I don't know why they call him a "spirit".  He isn't a spirit at all.

Oldkid: Because of the mask, which is the mask of a ghost in the theatre.

Ideathy: I believe in Chinese and Japanese culture they use masks to disguise themselves and to make it look like they're something else.

Oldkid: Like in a parade?

Ideathy: At festivals.  And vendors sell them.  They have ogres and demons...

Oldkid: I think parades too.  But yeah.  So, this episode is one of my favorites.  I love it whenever the Blue Spirit shows up.  He's very ninja-y.

Ideathy: He'd be more ninja if he dressed in dark blue instead of black.

Oldkid: Maybe so.  But he's so stealthy and sneaky and has a completely different skillset than his alter ego.

Ideathy: So, what he is most of the time is just his alter ego?

Oldkid: Do we want to spoil the end of the episode?

Ideathy: I'm not spoiling.  I'm just asking if that's what you think.

Oldkid: I think that when... SOMEONE... puts on the mask, other parts of his personality come out, so you wouldn't even recognize him.  Note that he doesn't use certain... skills... that he uses all the time.

Ideathy: Fair enough.

Oldkid: Sokka is hilarious in this one.

Ideathy: When he shows up.

Oldkid: Yeah, he's not in it much.  But Appa was HILARIOUS!

Ideathy: And so was Momo.

Oldkid: Well, he did bring the crown.  She looked so fetching in it.   

Ideathy: She was quite annoyed, though.

Oldkid: Only when Sokka called her "your highness."  Yeah, good times.  Insane lady was awesome too. 

Ideathy: She reminds me of Katara's later teacher.  The one she didn't want.

Oldkid: I don't remember.  Yet.

Ideathy: There were a couple animation glitches in this one.  The coughing.  That's hard to animate.  And there was also the pose that the Blue Spirit did.

Oldkid: Which pose?

Ideathy: The one when both his arms are out and his knees were turned out.  It was so awkward.

Oldkid: Classic ninja pose.  But the animation of the faces was great.  Especially Aang.  His twitching eye... classic Invader Zim look.

Ideathy: And also when the Blue Spirit's face was revealed there are some subtle changes.

Oldkid:  Overall, I love this episode.  It's one of my favorites.  All the frogs just add to the chaos.

Ideathy: "The frog let him out..."

Oldkid: "Yeah, that's it.  The magical frog rescued the Avatar, Fire Lord."  That'll go over great.

Ideathy: Best excuse ever.

Oldkid: And now, it's time for a barbecue.  And you're the featured attraction.

Ideathy: I believe that you mean an agni kai.

Oldkid:  Um, sure. (Googling that in a minute)

Ideathy: Zuko fighting his dad?  That was an agni kai.

Oldkid: I knew that.  I was just... testing you.  Yeah.

Ideathy: As if.

Oldkid: Cool.  That's enough for tonight.  Join us next time when Mrs. Oldkid says...

Mrs. Oldkid:  ...

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2016, 09:10:09 PM »
Episode 1.14-- The Fortuneteller

Oldkid: Okay, so this is a one-off episode, with no major incidents.

Ideathy: We call that "filler" in the anime world.

Oldkid: Okay, so it's filler.  But I still like it.  Not a great episode, but it's got some good stuff.  Sokka looks like a fool, which is always good.  And the lesson learned was good: don't depend on predictions of the future.

Ideathy: Don't look at your horoscope, people.

Oldkid: What about advice from your broker?  Or what about what the Bible says about the future? 

Ideathy: Well, obviously written thousands of years ago doesn't know.

Oldkid: The point isn't what is or isn't true.  The main thing is that it is our interpretation guiding what is being said to us.  A text written two thousand years isn't saying to us what people understood it to mean a thousand or 500 or fifty years ago.  So which is the true one?  None, probably.

Ideathy: Exactly.  The text doesn't predict the future.  There's no way to predict the future.  Not accurately.

Oldkid: The text... and a broker and a horoscope... predicts a future.  For who knows when.  That may happen, or may not. 

Ideathy: It might happen to someone else, but probably not you.

Oldkid: The interesting thing is that although Sokka was right, he was such a jerk about  it that he was wrong.  No one would believe him.

Ideathy: He was a jerk because no one would believe him in the first place.  The people were jerks about not believing him.

Oldkid: But he was communicating something directly opposed to what he KNEW they believed.  Of course they were jerks.  But if he had asked questions, or even communicated differently, at least they might have thought about it.

Ideathy: I doubt it.  It's a classic case of people only believing what they have been told by someone.

Oldkid: But I've seen people change their minds and believe something opposed to their original, closely held system.  It requires both doubt and experience.  Sokka could have planted doubt, but he was just as mule-headed in his own belief.  He was just lucky that he was right.

Ideathy: Yeah, admittedly he was rude about it.  But those people, they were being thick skulled.  They obviously would have believed no one other than Aunt Woo.  She created kind of a cultish following where they only listened to her and her "teachings."

Oldkid: Right.  Which is why I'm so pleased at how they drew the character of Aunt Woo.  She wasn't taking advantage of them, and she was often right.  She might have been a people-pleaser, but she was just a sincere person trying to help.  And often she did.  Until she didn't.

Ideathy: So far we've only had a conversation about predicting the future.  I don't think we had much to say about the episode.

Oldkid: We talked about Sokka and Aunt Woo. You want to make mention the romance issues?

Ideathy: Oh, yeah, I suppose that happened.

Oldkid: Of course, you and i can predict the future and we know who these people are going to end up marrying.

Ideathy: Well, we have both watched Korra.

Oldkid: But I thought you couldn't predict the future?

Ideathy: That isn't predicting the future.  That's just knowing the facts because we've seen what's going to happen because this is a really old show.

Oldkid: But it's Aang and the gang's future (hey, rhyme!). 

Ideathy: Technically, it's not due to the timing of our own world. Where the show is right now it's technically the "future"...

Oldkid: But what if people stand above us like we stand above the characters in the show and can tell us with certainty what would happen to us?

Ideathy: That would require time travel, which technically is not possible by science.  If I traveled back in time to younger me and tell me what happens later in life.  But I also believe in different universes and timelines so for me for the real world, I don't think you can accurately say what will happen in the future.

Oldkid: Well, no matter what you say, I know that Aang is going to marry... OH LOOK AT THE TIME!

Ideathy: Yes.  It's 7:09.

Oldkid: Time for another episode!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2016, 09:52:34 PM »
Episode 1.15-- Bato of the Water Tribe

Oldkid: The hunt!  The battle!  The well fight!  The kiss!  So much action in this episode!

Ideathy: Her necklace was returned.  Okay, that's the episode.  Oh, and Iroh is kinda creepy in this episode.

Mrs. Oldkid: Because he likes the girl?

Oldkid: Totally creepy.  Yeah, he thinks he has a chance with the mean girl probably a quarter of his age.  And after she and Zuko lose the battle, he feins that he was collapsed and placed the girl on him to cop a feel.  Not cool.

Ideathy: That's true.

Oldkid: I mean, I love Iroh, but this was too far. 

Ideathy: He should have just gone with Aunt Woo.

Oldkid: Yeah, she was totally flirting with him.  I guess Iroh's still got some moves with the ladies. 

Ideathy: (bored)  I guess.

Oldkid: Anyway, it's good to see Zuko back on the team again.  Hiring a bounty hunter to track down Katara in order to get Aang.

Ideathy: Well, back CHASING the team again.

Oldkid: That's what I said.  The lady bounty hunter seemed pretty neglectful of human life.  If anyone or anything got in the way of her capturing her prey, well that's just too bad for them.   Someone should give her a bill for all the damage she caused.

Ideathy: Someone really should.

Oldkid: But in the end, although there's some cool action, it's just another episode of Zuko chasing Aang and ultimately failing.  We see Katara's water bending is improving, and Aang is pretty much on equal bending skill with Zuko. 

Ideathy: Anyone else kinda think that Zuko is like Team Rocket?

Oldkid: Ooo! Me!  Pick me!  I do!  These episodes are cool in a cheap martial arts/superhero fight kinda way, but for character or plot, it's not that interesting.

Ideathy: They tried to improve on Aang's character.  They failed, but they tried.

Oldkid: How?  I didn't even see an attempt.

Ideathy: With him hiding the map.

Oldkid: So he gets jealous?  I think we may have already seen that.  But we didn't know that he could be so outright dishonest, that's true.  And we did get some background on K and S's family, specifically their father.  He has a bad sense of humor.  And he got his friend Bato in a heck of a lot of trouble.  And he abandoned his son.

Ideathy: I'm not sure we ever learned about their mom...  But Sokka got some maturity because he decided to stick with Aang instead of going after his father.

Oldkid: Well, we knew he was going to do that.  It was already in his character to get mad, turn away from his friend and then change his mind and do the right thing.

Ideathy: But his gut reaction was to do the right thing.  And THEN he got mad.

Oldkid: I was surprised at Katara.  I thought she would agree to do the right thing even though she was mad.  Of course, sometimes she can get really pissed off.

Ideathy: (nods vigorously) 

Oldkid: Okay, I think that's it for this one.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2016, 10:43:56 PM »
Episode 1.16-- The Deserter

Oldkid: This is the kind of episode I love.  We get some philosophy of a bending skill, the wisdom of a master and the foolishness of students.

Ideathy: Hey, you call me foolish?

Oldkid: I don't mean all students.  But Aang was ignorant and then he learned and the Admiral was... an idiot.

Ideathy: Ain't that the truth.

Oldkid: I agree with Master Jeong Jeong that firebending requires control, more so that the other bending talents, but I disagree with him that firebending is only good for destruction.

Ideathy: Yeah, I mean when you think about how much control firebending takes, it gives you new perspective on Zuko who would seem like he doesn't have much control, but he obviously does because he doesn't destroy things.

DeathImpacto: He destroys other people's property.

Ideathy: On purpose. 

Oldkid: Zuko has remarkable control over his firebending, but not his temper.  But Iroh is slowly teaching him that.

Ideathy: Man.  The old men in Avatar.

Oldkid: The Avatar principle of Old Men:  Old Men are awesome.

Ideathy: I'm wondering if we can use that word for old men in Avatar.  Just like Full Metal Alchemist (about everyone). 

DeathImpacto: Except Shou Tucker.  In FMA.

Oldkid: True.  He sucks.  But getting back to Zuko-- I think his character arc really shows the lie of the Master's idea that all firebending is destructive.  Zuko, he is learning to get past anger and destruction.  Iroh already can use firebending for something other than destruction.  He's amazing.  For instance, he could light our lightbulbs.

Ideathy: Not really.  That isn't how firebending works.

Oldkid: No, the lightning trick.  Which is actually pretty destructive.  And would probably melt our lightbulbs.

Ideathy: Ow.  I shouldn't have looked at the light bulb.

Oldkid: Sorry.  So I blame Roku for everything wrong in this episode.  He convinced the master to teach Aang firbending when he wasn't real. And so Katara was burned.  And the Admiral lost his ships.

Ideathy:  The latter is good.  AND Katara learned how to heal.

Oldkid: Only because she got burned. 

Ideathy: Yes.  I think that something negative ended up doing something positive.

Oldkid: So you think Roku was playing a long game?

Ideathy: No.  I think Roku is stupid.

Oldkid:  He's out of practice of being real?

Ideathy: But what he did was positive.  Not exactly out of practice, just... stupid.  He was kind of stupid in life, too.

Oldkid: Must be sad to be Roku.  Even after being a master and having an eternal afterlife... he has to do it all stupid.

Ideathy: Yep.

Oldkid: So why does waterbending heal, but not firebending? 

Ideathy: It is a traditional belief about the four elements that water has healing qualities.

Oldkid: Yeah, just ask a teeny stone, broken by water.  "I used to be a huge rock, now I'm nothing.  All because of the destructive action of water."

Ideathy: I think it's some Chinese belief.

Oldkid: The show is full of ancient beliefs and applying them practically, if magically.  Interesting stuff.

Ideathy: You know I like the four elements teaching.  I use it all the time.

Oldkid: OH!  So you could have healed my finger when I chopped it off.  And you could have healed Nikki's foot!

Ideathy: I'm fire.  Very fire.

Oldkid: Excuses, excuses.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2016, 11:03:38 PM »
Episode 1.17  The Northern Air Temple

Oldkid: Is this the first full on battle our gang was involved with against Fire Nation?

Idea: I think, maybe.  But the episode felt a little fast paced.

Oldkid: Really?  I think this is the pace they should all be in.  Or do you mean that you think the action should have just taken longer?

Idea: I mean that it's just one thing, one thing, one thing... there are no pauses for us to take a breath.

Oldkid: But they got all the good jokes out right away.  "Gravity.  Hahahahaha!"

Idea: They should have spread the jokes out.  The action should have been a different episode.

DeathImpacto: I prefer it this way.

Oldkid: All this in one short episode?  Not even a two-parter?

DeathImpacto: They did it fine.  They would have just had more filler.

Idea: This isn't filler.  It's necessary to the story.  Which they should have spaced out a bit.

Oldkid: I like the way that Sokka found his long-lost brother... who is much much older than he is.  And isn't really his brother.  The way they call each other genius is... genius.

Idea: Just wow.

Oldkid: There are a lot of new things, here.  A different kind of community, a lot of air inventions and a message about gentrification.  Do you think Aang was right?  Should they have showed more respect to an empty building?

Idea: Not the empty building.  But it was clear that the things on the walls was history.  They should have shown more respect to history and the sacred parts of the temple.

Mrs. Oldkid: It was very realistic.

DeathImpacto: It was kind of a holy place.

Oldkid: But they had no clue what it was.  They didn't know it was holy, even if they did know it was history.

Idea: One look on the walls and they could tell.

DI: Unless they were completely dense, they could figure it out.

Oldkid: Not dense, just focused on survival.

Idea: And how do you "stumble on" a temple on top of a mountain, anyway.

DI: Step one is to be enormous.  Step two is to stub your toe on it.

Oldkid: He didn't look that big to me.  Just a little taller than Sokka.  And Sokka isn't that big.

DI: Maybe he shrank.

Idea: At any rate, my point is, he would have had to purposely found that.

DI: There was a path up the mountain. 

Idea: And led a whole people up it?  Kinda unlikely.

Oldkid: Well, he explores to find a place and he finds it.   I would say, though, that I'd get a quarter up the path and think it wasn't worth the walk.

Idea: Yeah!  It's on top of a mountain.  How could you lead a people who were on the road for weeks up that mountain?

Oldkid: I don't know.  I know that I would whine the whole way up.   "Are we there yet?"

DI: They had no where else to go.

Idea: And most of them were Teo's age (pre-teen).

DI: They ranged in age.

Idea: They all had similar, young faces.

Oldkid: A range of ages.  All young.  Almost.  My main question is I think Teo isn't the only disabled person.  How are you getting the disabled folks up the mountain? 

DI: Mad skilz and h@x. 
(my daughter had to tell me how to spell this.  I'm just clueless about kids these days-- OK)

Idea: All the toddlers carried them up, obviously.

DI: They carried them up on stretchers.

Oldkid: Overall, I really liked this episode, despite the lingering questions of the history of this community.  It was funny and had good action and the end was quite nerve-wracking.

DI: We didn't mention that the Fire Nation got the war balloon that allowed them to be in the air.

Oldkid: Still, I think this episode had a nice balance of the stuff I like in Avatar.  Not a "great" episode, but a solid one.

DI: It can't be a great episode without Iroh.

Idea: Or Zuko.  Really, those two make these episodes.

Oldkid:  Someone's got a cruuush...  But you're right, no Iroh!  I take it all back!  This episode sucked!  I hated it!

DI: Don't watch! 0/10!

Idea: Stop killing our father.

(... two hours later)

Idea: He survived.

DI: Crap.