Author Topic: #609: Top 5 Childhood Movie Scares with Ti West / A Nightmare on Elm Street  (Read 2676 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!

The clown under the bed. The shadow on the other side of the shower curtain. The elevator filled with blood. Scary movies make an impression - and never more so than when you’re a kid. This week on the show, Adam and Josh tap into their own earliest fears for this week’s Top 5: Childhood Movie Scares with special guest Ti West ("House of the Devil" "In a Valley of Violence"). Plus, a Sacred Cow review of 1984’s NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.

Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
When I was a kid, it was before VCRs and I avoided most scary things on cable, but I loved science fiction and so would watch The Twilight Zone and other shows that were usually twisty, but not what I would think of as scary.  But two particular episodes of shows really frightened me:

-An Outer Limits episode in which a house had a pulsing membrane in a room which controlled minds.  I always had to turn the lights on in any strange room to make sure that a pulsing membrane wasn't there.  Star Trek didn't help with this because they had an episode where jellyfish-like creatures would fly through the air and attack people by landing on their back.  Looked just like the membrane in the Outer Limits episode.

-The most frightening experience in my young life was an episode of Night Gallery.  I watched it because Rod Serling was so great in Twilight Zone, so I figured this must be more of the same.  There was one episode when a man, alone in his apartment, saw a spider in the sink, so he washed it down the drain.  Then, taking a shower, he saw another spider, looking just the same but a bit bigger, in the shower.  This continued on until he opened his front door and was confronted with a four foot spider.  I was scared to go anywhere near a shower from that point on.  After my mom finally yelled at me that I needed to take a shower, I would take a bath.  No spider would get me then, that's for sure.  I didn't take a shower for years.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Adam, I agree with you completely. A Nightmare on Elm Street is not a sacred cow. It's not even the best of the Elm Street series. Many of argued that Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a better film because it has about 75% less schlock. If you wanted to name a Sacred Cow from Wes Craven, look no further than Scream.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
I mean, it's my favorite horror flick, but I get why some people don't care for it. It's very much an '80s horror flick and you're either on board with that or you aren't. New Nightmare's final act really ruins that film. Doesn't fit with the tone at all.

Dman

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. My most memorable childhood movie scare was courtesy of Phantom of the Opera, the 1925 silent version. As a child watching Saturday night Creature Feature, the unmasking of Lon Chaney's Phantom had me running to my mother's room screaming. It still chills me to this day. Adam, you do not stand alone in running and screaming.

Within the last year, I saw a rebroadcast of Salem's Lot. It was either WGN or TCM. For that time, it was truly one of the scariest shows that was ever shown on broadcast TV and when I watched the rebroadcast, I thought it still held up.

Question. Will you ever get back to Listeners' Feedback? I would think you would have some wonderful responses to your 600th Episode special episode. Now in the fairness of full disclosure, I did send you a note in response to your 600th episode and this is not a ploy to get my note read. I mean it was long, yet very heartfelt. I really enjoyed hearing others' listener feedback and wonder if you ever plan to get back to that.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Question. Will you ever get back to Listeners' Feedback? I would think you would have some wonderful responses to your 600th Episode special episode. Now in the fairness of full disclosure, I did send you a note in response to your 600th episode and this is not a ploy to get my note read. I mean it was long, yet very heartfelt. I really enjoyed hearing others' listener feedback and wonder if you ever plan to get back to that.
I ponder this every week. It's hard. Even without doing top 5's every week anymore, shows are consistently close to 90 minutes without feedback. I'm just not sure how we regularly fit it in like we used to without cutting something else. We have been at least trying to get feedback in via polls and Massacre Theatre, while sneaking in some voicemails and emails here and there.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Dman

I ponder this every week. It's hard. Even without doing top 5's every week anymore, shows are consistently close to 90 minutes without feedback. I'm just not sure how we regularly fit it in like we used to without cutting something else. We have been at least trying to get feedback in via polls and Massacre Theatre, while sneaking in some voicemails and emails here and there.

I totally understand. Here’s a suggestion. Maybe when you’re having a slow new film week, you could devote a whole episode to catching up on Listener Feedback. That in itself could generate the usual great discussion between you two on various topics. Just a suggestion. No matter what, I look forward to listening to you guys every week talking about whatever film related stuff you choose to talk about.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Appreciate it!

I totally understand. Here’s a suggestion. Maybe when you’re having a slow new film week, you could devote a whole episode to catching up on Listener Feedback. That in itself could generate the usual great discussion between you two on various topics. Just a suggestion. No matter what, I look forward to listening to you guys every week talking about whatever film related stuff you choose to talk about.

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery

2 hour show?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting

2 hour show?
Most are pretty close already.  ;)

love