Poll

What are Your 3 Favorite Films of the MCU?

Iron Man (2008)
7 (7.9%)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1 (1.1%)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1 (1.1%)
Thor (2011)
2 (2.2%)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
2 (2.2%)
The Avengers (2012)
14 (15.7%)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1 (1.1%)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
0 (0%)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
7 (7.9%)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
15 (16.9%)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2 (2.2%)
Ant-Man (2015)
1 (1.1%)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
10 (11.2%)
Doctor Strange (2016)
1 (1.1%)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
2 (2.2%)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
2 (2.2%)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
6 (6.7%)
Black Panther (2018)
5 (5.6%)
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
3 (3.4%)
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
0 (0%)
Captain Marvel (2019)
0 (0%)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
2 (2.2%)
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
0 (0%)
WandaVision (2021)
2 (2.2%)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2021)
0 (0%)
Loki (2021)
0 (0%)
What If...? (2021)
0 (0%)
Hawkeye (2021)
0 (0%)
Black Widow (2021)
0 (0%)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)
0 (0%)
Eternals (2021)
0 (0%)
Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
0 (0%)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)
0 (0%)
Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)
0 (0%)
Black Panther II (2022)
0 (0%)
Captain Marvel 2 (2022)
0 (0%)
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2022)
0 (0%)
Moon Knight(2022)
0 (0%)
She-Hulk(2022)
0 (0%)
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (2022)
0 (0%)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)
2 (2.2%)
don't like any
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe Poll  (Read 11810 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Poll
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »
It's a better film of his than Nice Guys, which is just about adequate. It might have a lot of Black touches, but that's a film with a lead(en) actor who can't handle the dialogue, like Downey Jnr can. I appreciate the insidery comment and if it is Drew Goddard then thats actually a downside for me, but it feels very much a Black film. I don't see the comment that Marvel takes a film away from a director generally, is that your opinion or are you solely applying that to Black?

I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »
Solely applying it to Black. James Gunn comes through on Guardians clear as a bell, but IM3 is the Marvel that feels most like product. Don't know if that's because Iron Man is the Studio's crown jewel or because Black was trying to follow the style of Faverau. He was way out of his comfort zone. Setting it around Christmas and giving Tony a child sidekick were his security blankets.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »
Nice Guys > Iron Man 3

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 04:01:29 PM »
Solely applying it to Black. James Gunn comes through on Guardians clear as a bell, but IM3 is the Marvel that feels most like product. Don't know if that's because Iron Man is the Studio's crown jewel or because Black was trying to follow the style of Faverau. He was way out of his comfort zone. Setting it around Christmas and giving Tony a child sidekick were his security blankets.
So Favreau wasn't constrained and Black was. Yet none of these Iron Man films are any good from your point of view. You might have a good reason for saying he was constrained. You just haven't written it yet.

On the train for Iron Man 10? Toot toot
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:10:10 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 11:45:38 PM »
4.5/5
The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

4/5
Iron Man
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy

3.5/5
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain America: Civil War

3/5
Iron Man 2
Ant Man
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 04:19:21 AM »
oldkid, how do you manage to stay that positive ?

Both of you should give Doctor Strange a shot. It's got a similarly funky aesthetic and is at least as funny as GotG. Maybe a rental if you don't feel like braving the theaters.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »
I grew up in a time when blockbusters were new and I still get a nostalgia feel.

But mostly it has to do with my rating system.  I didn't actually dislike any of these movies.  I found Ant Man and Iron Man 2 forgettable, not having anything to really capture my attention, but the rest all had something that I found redeemable.  My 2s and 1s are given to films that I actually dislike.  I didn't dislike any of these films, they did what was intended-- give us something to focus on for a couple hours.

It might be more telling that the only films I own are The Avengers and Captain America: Winter Soldier.  Those are the ones I plan to re-watch.  The others... I don't know.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 11:07:25 AM »
You don't think IM2 is an insult to its viewers' intelligence?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
I grew up in a time when blockbusters were new and I still get a nostalgia feel.

But mostly it has to do with my rating system.  I didn't actually dislike any of these movies.  I found Ant Man and Iron Man 2 forgettable, not having anything to really capture my attention, but the rest all had something that I found redeemable.  My 2s and 1s are given to films that I actually dislike.  I didn't dislike any of these films, they did what was intended-- give us something to focus on for a couple hours.

It might be more telling that the only films I own are The Avengers and Captain America: Winter Soldier.  Those are the ones I plan to re-watch.  The others... I don't know.
I get the feeling "It's a Marvel movie" is like "It's a Harry Potter movie". Worth a extra point if you do suspect things like giving movies ratings.  ;D "Its a Marvel movie" means I'm not gonna view this film the way I normally would. That's fine but the reaction then seems equally valid. The one where people dismiss them all out of hand. Either way critical analysis has left the building. So you can't blame either one. Sorry I'm tired of unexplained enthusiasm. Gushgush. Anyone countering it gets called negative even if they say it's good not great? My rating for that attitude is C- try harder ;D

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 08:41:44 PM »
I am certainly not excusing the films because they are Marvel films.  I don't excuse any films.  But perhaps I don't have as high expectations for these films as I would, say, a Malick film and I wouldn't have as low expectations for these films as I would, say, a Stan Brakhage (sorry, you fans out there).  I expect a comic book film, some of which are based on the comics I read.  I expect more from them than Independence Day, because I figure they should make me laugh, and make me care about characters. 

If I gave them a good score, it isn't because of my expectations.  It's because I honestly liked them.  Same as I always do.  No explanation necessary.

love