Author Topic: Top 5 Movie Chores  (Read 3165 times)

Totoro

Re: Top 5 Movie Chores
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 06:20:46 PM »
Chores aren't a waste of time.

In this context, they are.

I've never seen My Neighbor Totoro (nor any Miyazaki for that matter) and they sound like chores to me. Don't you think it would be a good use of my time to watch them? Chores can be good for you once you start.

To quote Oneapriladay:

No.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 07:00:35 PM »
Would "homework" rather than "chore" make this idea more palatable? Chore implies something to be done just to get it over with; with homework there is the literal connection to education, and it fits the idea of whatever these films are, they are adding to your knowledge of film, instead of just being an item to check off.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »

Totoro

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 03:56:32 AM »
Chore: an unpleasant but necessary task

I have to do laundry. It's something I need to do or else I won't have clean clothes to wear.  Eventually my dirty clothes will stink and/or get destroyed from me not cleaning them. They pose a risk to my general well being, so I must clean them, even though it's not something that I want to do. Maybe some people like doing it (I doubt it but whatever, for the sake of the argument). It's still a necessary task. That's what makes it a chore.

I don't need to watch movies. There's nothing at stake for me not watching a movie. There's nothing necessary about it, no one here is holding something over my head to watch a certain film. It's just something I do for fun. If it starts becoming a chore for you to watch certain films, then don't watch those films.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2016, 10:13:58 AM »
omg stop this pedantic idiocy

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2016, 10:28:23 AM »
Pretty sure everybody has said what they need to say on this subject. If anybody has an actual list here, feel free to post it. Else wise, let it be.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 02:05:07 PM »
DarkeningHumour defined chore (as used playfully in this context) in the first post of the thread. There is no sense therein of time being wasted.

pixote

Thanks pixote.

I would still like to address the general point. I believe one should make oneself acquainted with certain things as part of one's education. Art in its various forms is one of those things and one is rarely fond of all forms of art or all genres/movements. In the case of movies, there are those that are important enough for some reason or other that one feels compelled to watch, whether or not one anticipates liking them. It is true that life being finite one must choose what not to learn as well as what to learn, but when you dedicate a vast amount of time to one art form, some works are probably going to appear mandatory. What credit would you give an aficionado of painting if he knew nothing of Michelangelo ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love