love

Poll

Louise Banks (Amy Adams) in Arrival:

had no choice.
9 (69.2%)
is a selfish shit.
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Arrival  (Read 20944 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Arrival
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 05:35:00 AM »

I don't understand the connection between her gaining the power of seeing the future with the aliens. They gave it to her, then that's it? What else did she do with this power? Fascinating concept, zero done with it.

Because knowing the language makes it possible for you to understand that time is not linear, she WROTE A BOOK so everyone could understand time the way she now does.

That's what she does with her power.

And the only insight we get into how this power fundamentally changes the course of humankind is whether or not she has her daughter?

Kind of ridiculous considering that the daughter doesn't even matter that much to the overall film - it's the future of humanity itself that it concentrates its conflict on far more than any personal matters of the protagonist.
Now im beginning to wonder what film you watched.  ;D not Abba Arrival?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 05:35:18 AM »
And the only insight we get into how this power fundamentally changes the course of humankind is whether or not she has her daughter?

Kind of ridiculous considering that the daughter doesn't even matter that much to the overall film - it's the future of humanity itself that it concentrates its conflict on far more than any personal matters of the protagonist.

Thing is, and this is one of the things that bother me the most about the movie, I think Villeneuve is more interesting in talking about the daughter and enjoying life stuff than the sci-fi stuff. My belief is that the aliens are a secondary question that enables him to have Adams make that choice in the end.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 05:37:13 AM »

That and stop a world war.
Texan Down Under

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 05:40:34 AM »
Thing is, and this is one of the things that bother me the most about the movie, I think Villeneuve is more interesting in talking about the daughter and enjoying life stuff than the sci-fi stuff. My belief is that the aliens are a secondary question that enables him to have Adams make that choice in the end.

I think Villeneuve's point is:  With understanding comes understanding.  He uses the child to illustrate the non-linear time element, but he's more interested in global communication over global conflict as a theme.
Texan Down Under

Totoro

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 05:42:13 AM »

No, that doesn't make sense. Evidence: The Movie, which spends so little time with Louise outside her active duty in trying to communicate with the aliens. I cared so little for her personal life (it checked off the bare essentials for her relationship with the scientist dude) that the daughter subplot comes off as almost completely tacked on.

What was the overall driving idea of the movie? Theme? That open and empathic communication will lead us out of worldwide conflict, right? So what does that have to do with her daughter?

Or am I wrong? Is there another theme that connects the daughter with this theme of communication?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 05:46:42 AM »
I think Villeneuve's point is:  With understanding comes understanding.  He uses the child to illustrate the non-linear time element, but he's more interested in global communication over global conflict as a theme.

The daughter is not merely a device to illustrate the superimposition of time. Villeneuve shows us that past and future are one and the same and then uses that to make a statement about seizing the moment. The emotional core of the movie is Adams deciding that future tragedies should not impede you from squeezing as much out of life as you can. Happiness is worth the woe it will eventually cost.

That said happiness also means sacrificing an innocent person is another question but the more ghastly one.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »
I'm imagining the Nolan version now. There would definitely be a whiteboard involved. A guy with a telescopic pointer as well. The whole movie might be him pointing at things on the board.  ;D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 06:01:48 AM »

The daughter is not merely a device to illustrate the superimposition of time. Villeneuve shows us that past and future are one and the same and then uses that to make a statement about seizing the moment. The emotional core of the movie is Adams deciding that future tragedies should not impede you from squeezing as much out of life as you can. Happiness is worth the woe it will eventually cost.

That said happiness also means sacrificing an innocent person is another question but the more ghastly one.

If that's your take-away,  then I see your point.  That wasn't what the film was saying to me. 
Texan Down Under

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 06:31:36 AM »

Terrible ending.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 06:32:10 AM »
Without her daughter, Louise never has the insights that stop the potential conflict and allow for the entire human race to take a major evolutionary step forward.
Keeping in mind that she provided the opportunity for her daughter to shine bright while she was on this earth, it's up to us to decide if Louise's choice was ethical and moral.
Personally I believe in a soul and in reincarnation, that we keep coming back to evolve. It's only our challenges and suffering that allow us growth. There is also this idea of soul contracts - that certain souls sign on for a more challenging path in order for those around them to make more substantial evolutionary leaps forward.
Does Villeneuve make these ideas apparent?
No, but I like to believe they were on his mind as he made this film and then left it open to some wonderful discussion like this. The viewer is left to insert their own beliefs into their interpretation.
Again, this film, for me at least, was less science fiction and more spiritual.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:37:30 AM by St. Martin the Bald »
Hey, nice marmot!