love

Author Topic: Best and Worst Winners: Oscars 2017  (Read 7642 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: Best and Worst Winners: Oscars 2017
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2017, 05:08:26 AM »
Well, that is the infuriating thing with the American justice system: settling out of court is such a common practice that it's hard to say "well, he hasn't been convicted", because... that doesn't mean that much. He essentially bought his way out of court, which doesn't make him guilty, but it's not quite the same as being acquitted either.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
Less than 5% of cases (civil or criminal) go to trial. #funfact

The bigger problem is that the nature of sexual assault means that it is one of the least successfully prosecuted crimes. So as much as I am a huge fan of due process, if you set your standard at judged to be guilty it is basically like not holding anyone accountable. Social stigma is one of the few tools we actually have to combat rape culture. Giving people Best Actor awards is the opposite of stigma.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »
I get your point, but we cannot very much trust in the court of public opinion can we? What should the standard be to determine who is guilty or not in settled cases? What sort of inquiries should Oscar voters make before before snubbing someone? If my neighbour settled a case of the same nature, how do I determine if I keep on saying Howdy to him or if I should steal his mail?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
You should probably not steal his mail as that is a federal felony (in the US). ;D

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
Because these are not the Nicest Person Awards.

And about that allegations thing, which I was not going to mention because it wasn't the point until now, am I the only one troubled by the fact that people are using rumour and hearsay to punish people? I don't care if he's guilty or not, this is why there is a judicial system.

You are not the only one and I really don't know anything about them
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »
You should probably not steal his mail as that is a federal felony (in the US). ;D

I feel pretty safe form the federal authorities out here.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2017, 11:50:47 PM »
Because these are not the Nicest Person Awards.

No, but they are the "you are the best at doing your job" awards, and allegations against Affleck happened in the context of his job, by his colleagues.

You might get your company a new contract, but if you're also skimming money off it on the side you probably don't deserve an "employee of the month" award, because context is important.

love