love

Author Topic: Top 5 Websites for Movie Reviews  (Read 2058 times)

CarnivorousCouch

• Brady T. Larsen, Carnivorous Studios
    • Carnivorous Studios
Re: Top 5 Websites for Movie Reviews
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 05:15:10 PM »
Hmmm, well, my favorite site used to be The Dissolve, which had all the best critics from the AV Club (Scott Tobias, Keith Phipps, Tasha Robinson, Nathan Rabin). Unfortunately it's now defunct. I definitely have other favorite critics too (A.O. Scott, Michael Phillips, David Ehrlich). I always look for their opinions, but I don't hang out exclusively on their websites to get reviews. For top 5 websites, I'll go. . .

1. Filmspotting (Still my go-to film podcast with a loyal fanbase that loves to critique and analyze film.)

2. AwardsWatch Forums (A passionate, diverse, and knowledgeable group of people. They do a lot of fun and very comprehensive Oscar coverage as well, if that's what you're into.)

3. Alternate Ending (This is the new home of my favorite online film critic, Tim Brayton, formerly of Antagony and Ecstasy. He's a fantastic writer and he fuses an impressive knowledge of film history with a nice conversational style. Funny, insightful, and just formal enough.)

4. The Film Experience [www.thefilmexperience.net] (They have reviews, but this is also just a great site to visit if you're one of those people, like myself, who loves to live in "the world of film". They do a lot of interesting features that rank and assess movies from different angles. For example, they helped to put on this great multi-blog series called Hit Me With Your Best Shot, where they would watch a film along with any other film blog that wanted to participate. Then each blog would publish an article about what shot in the film was the best, either for thematic reasons or for just being really cool to look at. I don't know if they're doing that specific feature anymore, but that's the kind of thing they do. Their articles are interesting and they positively hum with a love for film. This is for people who get a sugar rush when they think of movies.)

5. AV Club (I don't like their reviews quite as much anymore, but they're still a smart group of writers and their comments sections tend to be filled with people who care a lot about film.)

Hmmmmm, alright, and I'll show a little vanity! I hope that my (and fellow film buff Robert Vincent Whiting's) site, www.carnivorousstudios.com, can one day count itself among these other fine film review sources.  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:17:14 PM by CarnivorousCouch »
www.carnivorousstudios.com

"Why don't you grow up, Baxter? Be a mensch. You know what that means?"
"I'm not sure."
"A mensch - a human being!"

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
I know someone who writes for The Film Experience here in Columbus, Ohio. How about that!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

CarnivorousCouch

• Carnivorous Studios
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »
Nice! Which writer do you know? :)

"I'm not sure."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
Chris Feil, he just joined the Columbus Film Critics Association, so I don't know him that well yet.

CarnivorousCouch

• Carnivorous Studios
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »
Okay, cool. Are you part of the Columbus Film Critics Association too?

"I'm not sure."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »
Corndog's our inside man.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
Yep, I joined last year. I'm such a veteran though, that it was called the Central Ohio Film Critics Association when I joined haha.

CarnivorousCouch

• Carnivorous Studios
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »
That's awesome! Do you guys get screeners? My very modest dream is to one day be sent a screener for official voting purposes. Also, I just checked out this year's COFCA awards and those are some very nice choices! You guys did what the Academy could not and gave Toni Erdmann the love it deserves. The greatest love of all.

"I'm not sure."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »
Yep, we get advanced screenings throughout the year in theaters, and then a slew of screeners at the end of the year. This past year was my first, and it was overwhelming for sure, especially with a full time job otherwise. If I did this for a living, then I'm sure I could have gotten to everything, as opposed to only like 30% haha

love