Author Topic: 2016 Golden Brick Preview Special  (Read 983 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
2016 Golden Brick Preview Special
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »

With Thanksgiving approaching, Adam and Josh give a shout out to some of the year's best overlooked movies. Along with the shortlist for the 2016 Golden Brick Award (many of which are available to rent or stream), hear replays of Adam's interview with THE WITNESS director James Solomon and July's review of THE FITS.

Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

slowpogo

• madeupwords
Re: 2016 Golden Brick Preview Special
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
Still new, still finding my way around here (please redirect me if there's a better place for this) but I wanted to urge others to check out Under the Shadow as a potential Golden Brick candidate, as Adam and Josh mentioned in this episode. It's been a pretty strong year for horror movies and this is probably my favorite. I'm intrigued by the way so many things are "covered up" in the film (most obviously, Iranian women must be covered with a hijab) and the thematic implications of those various instances. I also loved The Babadook and while there are similarities, I prefer Under the Shadow for its glimpse into another culture's anxieties, and the fact that its horror speaks not just for one person's experience but for a whole class of people.

dionethemailman

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »
Hey, Just wanted to say that I just watched "Under the Shadow".  Very good.  Much much better than the babadook.  I thought it was almost (not quite but almost) as scary as "the ring".

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 04:22:59 AM »
You can post a review in the Respond thread to convince us. There are also Overlooked Movies threads somewhere. 1SO and PA are big horror heads and I think Junior is a fan of the genre too.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love