Author Topic: Accurate list of 2016 movies?  (Read 2692 times)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Re: Accurate list of 2016 movies?
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
This has Krisha and streaming releases like Audrie & Daisy but won't have end of year runs like The Revenant http://www.metacritic.com/browse/movies/score/metascore/year/filtered?page=0

Totoro

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 03:20:29 AM »
Standard disclaimer...I'm new, this may be covered somewhere.. but I've been looking for a simple list of new movies that received their main release in 2016, either in theaters or streaming. "Main release" meaning, maybe they received a limited awards-qualifying run at the end of 2015, but the biggest release was in 2016.

This has been surprisingly difficult. A search for "2016" feature-lengths on Letterboxd gives something like 2000 results..I'm assuming most of these did not receive distribution and the site doesn't make it easy to look through a list of that size. IMDb is also a total rat's nest that is impractical to sort through. Wikipedia is very incomplete, not including any smaller films such as Krisha. Similarly, lots of other sites that purport to maintain a list (Cinemablend, etc) are obviously incomplete.

Anyone know of a good resource? Or maybe I'm not searching properly on some of the above sites?

Metacritic.

slowpogo

• madeupwords
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
Metacritic! Surprised I forgot about that. That is probably the most complete list...if I'm being picky it kind of stinks that you can't sort it any way other than by score (by date would be better) but it's got all the smaller indies and streaming/cable movies.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »
Google Mike D'angelo new york releases.

This is the one if you want to go by US release dates. It has everything that had a week long theatrical run in New York, and it's what most critics use to determine eligibility.

http://www.panix.com/~dangelo/nymaster.html
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

slowpogo

• madeupwords
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »
Google Mike D'angelo new york releases.

This is the one if you want to go by US release dates. It has everything that had a week long theatrical run in New York, and it's what most critics use to determine eligibility.

http://www.panix.com/~dangelo/nymaster.html

That's very good too. Interestingly it has a lot of streaming-distributed stuff like 13th, presumably because those things also had brief theatrical runs, which I didn't realize. It is still missing some Netflix-only movies like Hush, and HBO Films releases, but between that and Metacritic, it covers everything.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 04:34:10 PM »
Oh man, that list terrifies me.

love