Author Topic: #612: Live at Chicago Podcast Festival / Top 5 Movies That Console/Restore Hope  (Read 1214 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!

Movies can entertain us, transport us and move us, but can they heal us? That’s the question Adam, Josh and Michael Phillips wrestled with as they considered titles for their Top 5 Movies That Console and Restore Hope. That Top 5 and more recorded live at Schubas Tavern as part of the first annual Chicago Podcast Festival.

Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Rynox

I would like to suggest "Blame It on Fidel!"

The young protagonist is immersed into a world of confusing and hostile politics and, in the end, she learns how to just be a child.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
So I just finished the Apu trilogy. Great movies, sure, but console/restore hope? What? More like throw you into depression.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
So I just finished the Apu trilogy. Great movies, sure, but console/restore hope? What? More like throw you into depression.
:) I think I acknowledged that likely response during my pick - but come on, you can't say there isn't hope in that ending.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
:) I think I acknowledged that likely response during my pick - but come on, you can't say there isn't hope in that ending.

I should probably go back and revisit the top 5 since watching and also the original marathon. My reading of the ending is probably overly bleak.

Apu, who has been so beaten down in life, abandons his own son for 5 years and has to nearly be dragged back to check on him. And still he just wants to ship him off to boarding school. Sure, once he's there he has a notion of bringing his son with him, but at the slightest sign of resistance decides to go off and abandon him again. Only when the little guy, who is apparently the bigger of the two, chases him down does he finally show signs of hope. But I can't help but feel tainted by that point. Is he going to have another change of heart and drop him off at a boarding school at the first sign of an issue with the obviously troubled child? Yes, this is me reading too much into it, and Ray probably wanted to ring more hopeful, but it didn't entirely land with me.

Again, I'm being a bit hyperbolic here. I did really appreciate the films and there are a few moments that are genuinely lovely, and do inspire hope. The scene where Apu skips the train to spend another day with his mother comes to mind in particular. However for every sweet moment, Ray finds the most brutal way to dash those hopes into little bits. The ending goes out on a high note, but I can only assume we are being saved from misery that would have unfolded had we gotten another scene or two.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:16:48 AM by BlueVoid »
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter