love

Author Topic: DOCember Group Marathon 2016  (Read 24040 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: DOCember Group Marathon 2016
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
DH, I have in my past met a girlfriend on a forum, though it was based around figure skating, not movies.

The women here on the forum, ses, saltine, OAD, StarCarly, tiny (are there any other regulars?) are the most enlightened of all! So happy to know these women and to learn from them.

I certainly can't think of any instance when one of our female posters has had to be scolded by a moderator or admin. Just us mischievous boys. 8)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2016, 04:24:59 PM »
I have been hanging out in the wrong forum then...

And I think the word you're looking for is naughty. Naughty boys.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »
Like countless artists, I am inspired by sexual frustration.

I hear ya.

To be clear, I was talking about other people's sexual frustration... ::)

Ugh. This is too bad.  Vulnerability is a hugely attractive attribute.

I would't know. I am too busy being all strong and manly.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »

Ugh. This is too bad.  Vulnerability is a hugely attractive attribute.

Is it always?  Being vulnerable sounds attractive unless is comes off as weakness.  So male "vulnerability" often means, "I'm letting you know that I'm not okay, but I've really got it handled.  I'm open to help, but I don't actually need it."
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2016, 12:29:51 AM »
Killing Them Safely (2015)

In the matter of Nick Berardini v TASER, I find in favor of the defendants. For a long portion of the documentary, there was a slight sense that it had an agenda, but it is only in the second half that the editing really makes it look like a plaintiff's case against TASER. The thing is, as a device used most prominently by police officers (though courts have found the 2nd Amendment to cover civilian rights to carry), they are an intermediary factor between the taser's design. It seems more of a police matter than a product liability issue if the police use it too readily or for too long.

If there is something there (and I'd have to know the specific causes of action), it concerns figuring out exactly what TASER's obligation was to convey slight risks. The other thing that is missed here is realistic alternatives. If the police officer who shot Oscar Grant pulled out his taser, as intended, instead of a gun, it is overwhelmingly likely Oscar Grant would be alive. I certainly would rather be tazed than shot. With as many people as cops are killing with guns, do we really want to take away an alternative? Of course, left unsaid is the potential for future development. Can the concept be tweaked to provide greater safety without a resulting loss of efficacy? Are there alternatives that slot comfortably into the same place in the escalation of force. It makes me think of environmentalists who say they want to get off of greenhouse gases but then object to wind power because it kills birds. You can't just say no until something perfect comes around, you have to balance the tradeoffs.

Wait, changed my mind, the TASER lawyer threw in the "Hot Coffee" lawsuit as an example of ridiculous tort lawsuits, so CINECAST! that guy.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2016, 01:28:24 AM »
Is it always?  Being vulnerable sounds attractive unless is comes off as weakness.  So male "vulnerability" often means, "I'm letting you know that I'm not okay, but I've really got it handled.  I'm open to help, but I don't actually need it."

I think there is more connection when someone will say, I don't have a handle on this. I do need help. For a woman, not being able to be the strong one at times, makes it so hard to feel influential, or needed at a deeper level. Let us in. :)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2016, 03:54:11 AM »

It is mental and flabbergasting that, while the police are being harangued everywhere for being trigger happy and an occasional nuisance as general dealers of death, anyone should try to take non-lethal weapons away from them. Why is it that Americans so often seem to impose higher standards on the less risky options of something while being perfectly okay with the genuinely apocalyptic stuff ? It's the same with the drug war/epidemic dynamic with marijuana and legal pharmaceutic opiates.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2016, 07:45:06 AM »
Pharma and gun manufacturers have better lobbyists than pot dealers and TASER?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2016, 07:59:22 AM »
I was talking about the culture though. Lobbyists can work wonders on Washington types, but how much do they influence what regular, blood in their veins people think ?

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2016, 12:13:46 AM »

In the matter of Nick Berardini v TASER, I find in favor of the defendants. For a long portion of the documentary, there was a slight sense that it had an agenda, but it is only in the second half that the editing really makes it look like a plaintiff's case against TASER. The thing is, as a device used most prominently by police officers (though courts have found the 2nd Amendment to cover civilian rights to carry), they are an intermediary factor between the taser's design. It seems more of a police matter than a product liability issue if the police use it too readily or for too long.

If there is something there (and I'd have to know the specific causes of action), it concerns figuring out exactly what TASER's obligation was to convey slight risks. The other thing that is missed here is realistic alternatives. If the police officer who shot Oscar Grant pulled out his taser, as intended, instead of a gun, it is overwhelmingly likely Oscar Grant would be alive. I certainly would rather be tazed than shot. With as many people as cops are killing with guns, do we really want to take away an alternative? Of course, left unsaid is the potential for future development. Can the concept be tweaked to provide greater safety without a resulting loss of efficacy? Are there alternatives that slot comfortably into the same place in the escalation of force. It makes me think of environmentalists who say they want to get off of greenhouse gases but then object to wind power because it kills birds. You can't just say no until something perfect comes around, you have to balance the tradeoffs.

Wait, changed my mind, the TASER lawyer threw in the "Hot Coffee" lawsuit as an example of ridiculous tort lawsuits, so CINECAST! that guy.

I had a similar reaction to this one. He has examples of harm, but not a convincing case. My dad is a retired police captain (He has tasered others and been tasered himself), and when I tried to describe this movie to him he just scoffed. There was no reason, other than politics, for this to have been made.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd