Author Topic: DOCember Group Marathon 2016  (Read 24017 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: DOCember Group Marathon 2016
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »
Anyone know good historical docs ? Also interested in things financial and economic (is that the right adjective).
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 12:47:22 PM »
Anyone know good historical docs ? Also interested in things financial and economic (is that the right adjective).
When you say historical docs, do you just mean anything that attempts to describe/analyze a historical event or time period? Most historical docs I can think of are about recent history post 1850s and usually try to tie into what's relevant in the "present" (the present may be 50 or 60 years ago). Like, Adam Curtis docs or Obyknovennyy fashizm are great, and they are focused on historical events, but I suspect they are not what someone has in mind when asking for historical docs since their purpose is contextualization and advancing an argument about the present, not merely description of the past.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 12:51:57 PM »
Italian principalities in the 1400s, the War of the Roses, Ming China...

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 10:45:13 PM »
Just in case you didn't know, every Kartemquin Film can be streamed for free during December - here.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 11:11:44 PM »
Also, master documentarian Kim Longinotto's Dreamcatcher is available on Netflix Instant and Amazon-Showtime.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 02:49:37 AM »
The Lion in Your Living Room

KITTIES!!!!

6/5

I'm drunk!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2016, 04:08:04 AM »
Bondo knows how to party.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »
Pervert Park
Regret is the devourer of souls. But regret accompanied by dreadful shame, a constant condemnation applied by society-- this is living hell, a continuous torture that lasts long beyond the crime.   The stories of these men and women, caught up in a cycle of abuse and then turning around to abuse-- these are the stories I've heard again and again. Except the people I know don't have a trailer court they are allowed to live in.  They aren't allowed to live anywhere.  And this is what I've learned-- karma is supposed to be pure justice, an equal give-and-take.  Punishment in the name of karma is perpetual, there is no equality.

3.5/5

The Witness
What is the truth behind Kitty Genovese's murder?  Or is the problem that so many people think they've found "the truth" only to get the facts wrong?  Did 38 people witness the event and decide to do nothing?  Is the conscience of the common New Yorker so cold?  This doc isn't providing answers.  Just a man, Bill Genovese, Kitty's brother, who is asking the questions.  A man haunted by questions about her murder that can't be answered.  In the end, we find out more about him than what happened that night.  That seems appropriate.

3.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
Pity but society has to protect children first. If it does that job properly then less abusers will be produced if I follow this logic.

Over 359 fresh cases of child abuse at football clubs have been uncovered in the past weeks. An abuser can threaten a 12 year olds dreams of a career in football if they don't submit to the abuser. The power an adult holds over a child is hardly a unique condition of football. One kid was abused more than 100 times in a 4 year period. The national enquiry of institutional child abuse keeps stalling and the suspicion is institutions don't want the glare of attention. Of course this is all happening in the UK which must be unique either for having the problem at a systemic level or for identifying that problem and bringing it to light. The US? Maybe it doesn't have the same problem. Does that seem likely?

So first protect children properly which suggests more stringent protection not less. I'd like to see that protection strengthened.

Of course any action by society can look as if it penalises somebody especially when the main concern of society, a fundamental necessity is child protection. I'm not convinced we are doing enough. If I wanted to take a rhetorical attitude to this I could ask where those docs are?

My kids are all in their 20s. So why should I care anymore?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »
The Lion in Your Living Room

KITTIES!!!!

6/5

I'm drunk!

I watched this a few weeks back. There's some cool info about cats in there, but mostly it's great just for some cute kitties. I approve of this review.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”