Author Topic: #614: La La Land / Top 5 Musical Numbers / Golden Brick Finalists  (Read 335 times)

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!

It says something about the contemporary movie landscape that the prospect of a new live-action movie musical is as much of a curiosity as the high-profile appearance of a silent film back in 2011. Of course that 2011 silent - THE ARTIST - went on to win a Best Picture Oscar, which may bode well for director Damien Chazelle’s LA LA LAND, starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. A review of LA LA LAND, plus Michael Phillips and guest Desiree Garcia (star of Chazelle's "Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench") share their Top 5 Movie Musical Numbers.

I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: #614: La La Land / Top 5 Musical Numbers / Golden Brick Finalists
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:38 PM »
Just caught up with the episode this morning. Really glad to see that Tower made the cut, I saw it about a month ago when it played Philly for a week or so and thought that, if you guys got a chance to see it, it would be a great candidate for the award. It feel like it does similar things to Waltz With Bashir, but that may just be an easy, superficial comparison on my end. Regardless, it's a film very worth seeing, and a strong animated feature in what's been a strong year for those as well. It's a shame the release is so limited, but hopefully plenty of people get to catch up with it in the future, and I'm super glad it was nominated for the Golden Brick.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
Re: #614: La La Land / Top 5 Musical Numbers / Golden Brick Finalists
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »
Bob Fosse reportedly choreographed most of the numbers in the original stage production (though a more established choreographer got the credit), and I think you can see his influence in this number, one of my favorites from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Alas, Robert Morse is nowhere to be found.

My TV ain't HD / that's too real

love