love

Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 8598 times)

Totoro

Re: Rogue One
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
If only it was just the escapist tone! If it was just that, the prequels would be, on a whole, hated far less.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »
I don't think the reactions necessarily have to do with the tonal direction. Probably my least favorite thing about Rogue One is the gritty wartime approach.

Isn't that tone though? Or do you see that more as genre?

No, you're right. What I was trying to say is that despite that tone not being my favorite for a Star Wars movie, I am on the side of Rogue One more than TFA (which tonally I would prefer if I thought the movie was any good).

If only it was just the escapist tone! If it was just that, the prequels would be, on a whole, hated far less.

True enough.

I am super not-excited about the Han Solo movie

I'm super excited for that. Lord & Miller haven't disappointed me yet.

I'm pretty indifferent to their work overall, but their self-aware meta style is the last thing I want in a Star Wars movie. Even if they reign that in do we really need a backstory movie to go in and remove all the mystery from an already beloved character? How often does that actually turn out well?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
Well, we already know Han's origin, or rather what it was before the EU reboot. I think it would be cool to see Han as an Imperial Officer and how he ended up breaking out of that life and becoming the rouge he is in the films. I want Star Wars films that don't revolve around Jedi.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »
I have never given any real credence to the EU. Some of it is fun, but it's all basically fanfic, and much of it is terrible.

I just want Star Wars films that don't revolve around the same few characters.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »
Jedi are one of the my favourite things in the universe. I cannot not wish for them.

The entire EU has been scrapped off and I am pretty sure the Han Solo story was part of that.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
I just want Star Wars films that don't revolve around the same few characters.
I think we'll get there. They are just playing it safe for now.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
Martin, is the theater for Rogue One still so crowded that the only seats available to you were in the front?

It was a small theater. And it was a holiday.

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
... I thought they found some Peter Cushing lookalike actor. I did not know he was CG. So, they fooled me, although I was sitting in the front row so not the ideal viewing angle.

* Leia at the end, however, was completely distracting and in my mind, completely unnecessary. That moment would be much more effective if it happened in the background, from a distance.

I really don't think there's a definite answer to this contentious question of whether the CGI recreations were effective or not. I had the opposite reaction to you in that Tarkin was very obviously CGI and jarred me out of the movie at first, while the one shot with Leia worked 100% and I wondered whether they were just inserting old footage into the film.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2017, 12:33:09 PM »
Finally saw this. What a mess.

Highlights:

- Donnie Yen and Wen Jiang were great.

- K2SO was okay, but maybe comes off funnier in a packed theater.

- The textures in the film are very good. Most of it felt grounded and dusty and dirty like the original trilogy. Except for the rainy planet and Vader's ridiculous stronghold.

Everything else suffered from odd storytelling choices that left most of the characters feeling empty. We don't see enough of Jyn and her father to really invest in their relationship. We don't see enough of Jyn and Saw Gerrera to be invested in their relationship. We don't see enough of Jyn in her young adult life to see how her past has really effected her.

CGI Tarkin and Leia were horrible. I honestly don't see how anyone could mistake these for real-life actors. Not even close. Leia was especially awful.

If you're going to use Vader at least have a major character interact with him. Seeing him wreck some random rebels really didn't do anything for me. It felt tacked on (apparently it was a last minute addition). Especially after the anti-climactic encounter with Krennic it would have been nice to see Jyn and Cassian have to deal with a more formidable adversary.

I liked the idea of each character getting a heroic death that also suggests the Force at work. Chirrut's is the only one that fully exploited this. After that Baze's death accomplished nothing other than taking out a few straggling Storm Troopers and he was also taken out the same way Bodhi was (grenade), which felt repetitive.

We are truly living in the 21st Century when the biggest obstacle in the film is the Death Star plans's file size.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »
CGI Tarkin and Leia were horrible. I honestly don't see how anyone could mistake these for real-life actors. Not even close. Leia was especially awful.
Did you know about this going into the film? I think when you know it's not them, you're brain immediately reacts against it. This still image looks quite human, but I know it can't possibly be 2016 Carrie Fisher so my instant reaction is that it's horribly fake.

Even in today's cinematic world of digital creations, digital humans is something we revolt against, as if we fear being replaced by a computer. I read today about how 2/5 of the Guardians of the Galaxy are CG and it shocked me because I've grown used to creations like Rocket and Groot.