Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 8603 times)

dassix

Re: Rogue One
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2017, 05:39:26 PM »
and the amazing Darth Vader destroying everyone entrance

This was my favorite scene in the movie. 

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
Finally got around to this yesterday. Some thoughts in bulletpoints:

* Right off the bat I will just say that overall I enjoyed it a lot less than TFA.

* I managed to avoid learning much about the movie beforehand, so I thought they found some Peter Cushing lookalike actor. I did not know he was CG. So, they fooled me, although I was sitting in the front row so not the ideal viewing angle.

* Leia at the end, however, was completely distracting and in my mind, completely unnecessary. That moment would be much more effective if it happened in the background, from a distance.

* Too many fanservice moments. They felt fun in TFA, but obligatory here.

* This should be called "Noble Death Scenes: The Movie". So many leaden moments of poignant sacrifice it became laughable.

* Really not a fan of gritty bleakness in Star Wars. Some people love that, but for me, I go to this franchise for fun adventures. There was not much fun here. The first half was really dull, I was actually struggling to stay interested. Second half was considerably better.

* K2SO was great. Can't say I really cared much about any of the other characters. The only one whose name I can even remember is Jin. Blind Jedi was kind of enjoyable.

* Holy shit, blind dude's sidekick was Wen Jiang?? Mind blown. I hope this somehow results in Blu-Ray releases of Devils on the Doorstep, In the Heat of the Sun and The Sun Also Rises.

* I really like the idea of this movie. The notion that a lot of people died to get those plans is a throwaway moment in Star Wars, and I like the concept of exploring the story behind that. Had I known that that's what this movie was about, maybe I would have been more prepared for such a downer. Still, I think there could have been more fun in the course of the film while still having some dark notes.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »
I'm not opposed to a darker Star Wars, just actually have interesting characters/good writing to go with it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 10:22:07 PM »
At some point there should be an article about people who prefer the escapist fun of The Force Awakens (like Martin and me) and those who were let down by TFA and prefer the grit of Rogue One. It seems this is connected to what you want from a Star Wars film. Perhaps some want the swashbuckling adventure while others want to get as far away from the child-like escapism of the prequels, so a more mature Star Wars becomes the more appealing direction for the mythology.

Martin, is the theater for Rogue One still so crowded that the only seats available to you were in the front?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:17 PM »
I was thinking about that. Perhaps the weirdest thing is that I fall into your camp even though I'm no fan of most of the previous Star Wars movies.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 11:15:23 PM »
I don't think the reactions necessarily have to do with the tonal direction. Probably my least favorite thing about Rogue One is the gritty wartime approach. I definitely prefer for Star Wars to be fun and adventurous, but TFA was just for me a total disaster on every other level.

I am super not-excited about the Han Solo movie, so I think it is up to Rian Johnson to try and deliver something fun and new for me to get excited about. I'm just worried the foundation he's working off of is too shaky (IMO) for him to salvage it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 12:14:41 AM »
I liked the tone of TFA and the tone of Rogue One. I preferred TFA because I just felt it built the characters better.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 04:48:59 AM »
I usually am all for grit. I will even defend Snyder's tone in the DCU movies. The new SW movies are more difficult to think about in this way, because although I did like TFA more, I am not sure if it is because of its tone, which corresponds to my expectation of a SW movie, or because the grittiness of RO is undercut by a lackluster script. In other words, would I like a SW a lot more if it were made gritty and dark with a competent screenplay? Considering that I am mostly positive on RO (I think) there is a good chance I would. That is taking into account that I agree with almost everything Martin wrote.

I don't think the reactions necessarily have to do with the tonal direction. Probably my least favorite thing about Rogue One is the gritty wartime approach.

Isn't that tone though? Or do you see that more as genre?

Martin, is the theater for Rogue One still so crowded that the only seats available to you were in the front?

My thought exactly.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 06:34:25 AM »
I'm not opposed to a darker Star Wars, just actually have interesting characters/good writing to go with it.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »
I am super not-excited about the Han Solo movie

I'm super excited for that. Lord & Miller haven't disappointed me yet.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."