love

Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 8594 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: Rogue One
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »
Even in today's cinematic world of digital creations, digital humans is something we revolt against, as if we fear being replaced by a computer. I read today about how 2/5 of the Guardians of the Galaxy are CG and it shocked me because I've grown used to creations like Rocket and Groot.

I don't understand, did you think Bradley Cooper had metamorphosed into a racoon for the movie ?
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
I have an easier time accepting a walking, talking raccoon that sounds like Bradley Cooper than if a CG Bradley Cooper was used because the actor was unavailable.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
CGI Tarkin and Leia were horrible. I honestly don't see how anyone could mistake these for real-life actors. Not even close. Leia was especially awful.
Did you know about this going into the film? I think when you know it's not them, you're brain immediately reacts against it. This still image looks quite human, but I know it can't possibly be 2016 Carrie Fisher so my instant reaction is that it's horribly fake.

That still looks like it's straight out of a video game. I don't think it's bias. I'd be happy if the CGI was good enough to fool me.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2017, 05:06:32 PM »
That's my point. How could it possibly fool you when you know Carrie Fisher looked nothing like that during filming? You know this, just like you know Peter Cushing passed away years ago. You can't remove those facts from your brain to give the CGI a chance.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »
I have an easier time accepting a walking, talking raccoon that sounds like Bradley Cooper than if a CG Bradley Cooper was used because the actor was unavailable.

Yeah, but I still don't get your comment about suddenly realizing Groot and Rocket were CGI ?

Of course the uncanny valley is a much bigger problem for human characters... which is why they shouldn't do it. Peter Cushing actually works for the most part I think, though it really bothers me ethically... whereas the Carrie Fisher thing is fine on that front, but just shoddily done.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
I'm usually the resident CG defender around here, but 1SO's argument is assuming the CG characters were in the ballpark of convincing which in my experience they were emphatically not. Obviously different people have had different experiences though (IMO Tarkin was far less convincing than the Leia shot, though overall screentime certainly plays a part there.)

The slight is not against the CG itself, which is still incredibly impressive work, it's against the people who made the decision to feature the hardest possible thing to do in CG in such an unabashedly in-your-face way.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »
Yeah, but I still don't get your comment about suddenly realizing Groot and Rocket were CGI ?

I'm engaged in the film to where I'm not thinking in terms of humans and CG characters. They are all the Guardians. When they're sitting around talking about "12 percent of a plan" there's no separation between the people on set and the CG stand-ins added later, just like I don't think about Zoe Saldana's makeup. Gamora is green, not a black woman in green makeup.

Compare that to 18 years ago and Jar Jar, where the actors are looking vaguely in his direction, sometimes through him like they're looking over his shoulder. It's a huge advance from that point and I think the unsung hero might be Where the Wild Things Are, which featured people in suits on set with faces CG'd in later (and the seams CG'd out)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2017, 01:00:42 AM »
It's kind of the equivalent of reading a book and fading out of being conscious of the book and turning pages and other things around you, yea? It's kind of fragile thing... since consciousness of it, disrupts it. It just has to be so damn enjoyable you aren't thinking of those things. :)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
I watched it not knowing about the characters being CGI and Cushing immediately stood out as 'off.' I recognized him but couldn't remember who he was so real world knowledge wasn't a factor. It's very good CGI, I'd say it's past the uncanny valley in that it's not offputting, but it still rings false.

love