Author Topic: #616: Top 10 Films of 2016 (Pt. 1)  (Read 2375 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
#616: Top 10 Films of 2016 (Pt. 1)
« on: December 23, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »

A lot of usual suspects at the top of the box office charts in 2016: Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Disney and Harry Potter. And a lot of those movies? Not bad actually. But what are the year’s great films? The Next Picture Show's Scott Tobias and Genevieve Koski join Adam and Josh for part one of the Best of 2016 Roundtable.

A big thank you to smirnoff for the image!
Texan Down Under

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: #616: Top 10 Films of 2016 (Pt. 1)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 03:00:56 PM »
I can imagine saltine editing a trailer sort of video, with montages from different movies and scenes and a deep voice in the background announcing something ominous:

« You thought you had seen it all, but in 2016... »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
Ha, funny boy.

All I do is get the page together.  I have my minions doing all the real work: Adam and Sam and Josh, now smirnoff.  I know how to get things done!
Texan Down Under

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
So, a behind the scenes kind of figure ? How shadowy...
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 04:03:19 PM »
Just think of me as the Wizard of AUS.
Texan Down Under

Totoro

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »
Ah, Adam, THE HANDMAIDEN? Genevieve, you too? Oi oi oi.

Honest question - what do you make of a film that is all about the power of suggestion that repeatedly shows you all of the sexual pleasure that the male characters yearn to view? Park seems to think that he can be morally superior to these males who exploit the women in their desire for sex, yet we are constantly barraged with images that those men so strongly want to see but never attain. How are we any better to be privy to the visual stimulation that the other men are not? I found this film to be completely ethically contradictory.

It's also nearly unadaptable as presented - even if these scenes were described luridly in the novel, a novel is still left up for the imagination. The acts that these women perform are only doled out to us in detail in the form of spoken word. So the better adaptation would be the one that elides the visual component of erotica, firmly giving back the control of female sexuality to the privacy of the female characters than the audience.

Thoughts, Adam?

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »

Honest question - what do you make of a film that is all about the power of suggestion that repeatedly shows you all of the sexual pleasure that the male characters yearn to view? Park seems to think that he can be morally superior to these males who exploit the women in their desire for sex, yet we are constantly barraged with images that those men so strongly want to see but never attain. How are we any better to be privy to the visual stimulation that the other men are not? I found this film to be completely ethically contradictory.

It's also nearly unadaptable as presented - even if these scenes were described luridly in the novel, a novel is still left up for the imagination. The acts that these women perform are only doled out to us in detail in the form of spoken word. So the better adaptation would be the one that elides the visual component of erotica, firmly giving back the control of female sexuality to the privacy of the female characters than the audience.

Thoughts, Adam?
Never really viewed Park as claiming moral high ground I guess. And we get the stories from the character's POVs, so why not get the erotic scenes as well. And it's pretty crucial to truly understanding their relationship.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

MattDrufke

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 07:25:15 AM »
Listened to this while driving in my car and when Genevieve Koski named Popstar at #10, I began aggressively pumping my fist and cheering.
@ihatemattdrufke

ferdinanddesaussure

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 10:55:42 AM »
Look, I'm new around here, and this is totally being that guy right out of the gate, but I gotta get it off my chest; I've never met anybody who thinks Chet Baker is one of the great jazz trumpeters of all time.

Totoro

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 07:44:29 PM »

Thoughts, Adam?
Never really viewed Park as claiming moral high ground I guess. And we get the stories from the character's POVs, so why not get the erotic scenes as well. And it's pretty crucial to truly understanding their relationship.

He does include a scene where the girls destroy the library which I found indicative of Park passing a moral judgment on the men. Perhaps I am wrong in that interpretation?

We do get the POV from the female characters, but we also don't at several times (most notable the end with the two men, but also various flashbacks that show us her aunt alone with the men).

I don't think it is? I think we can understand lesbian love without the sexual aspect of it. At the very least, I think the mixing of POVs makes it difficult to understand where Park aligns himself.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:28:47 AM by pixote »