love

Author Topic: One Chapter At A Time - The Dark Knight Trilogy  (Read 33065 times)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
Re: One Chapter At A Time - The Dark Knight Trilogy
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2017, 10:40:47 PM »
I love the Bane v. Batman fights (the first a mono a mono in the dark; the second a street war in the harsh light of day) - he's a different kind of antagonist - a physical, brutal, feral monster
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2017, 10:45:57 PM »
Something else.
The whole fingerprints, stock market thing was so they could create a fraud where Bruce Wayne bets big on the Stock Market and loses the fortune of Wayne Enterprises. Does that sound inconsistent to anyone else? Up until now, Bruce would make decisions to guide his company, but he never touched the investment side of the Wayne fortune. He put Alfred in charge of his assets and Fox in charge of the company, freeing him up to be the Billionaire Playboy. I'm not saying it's impossible for Bruce to have his own fingerprint ID account with the stock market, it's just peculiar.

I believe there's a line from Fox that this whole fraud will take a while to work out in an investigation, but the plan was to immediately discredit Wayne as unfit to be a part of the Board deliberations.
letterboxd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2017, 11:35:19 PM »
There is that line from Fox, but I'm questioning Bruce having a fingerprint ID backdoor to the stock market in the first place when the trilogy has shown he doesn't make financial decisions with Wayne Enterprises assets.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #353 on: May 10, 2017, 12:00:09 AM »

The Dark Knight Rises - Destruction Sites
"If you move it, the core will decay in a matter of months."
"Five, by my calculations."

That nice Christopher Nolan forward momentum, building suspense as we get closer to Bane's big move. While he's stealing the core from a now activated nuclear reactor, Detective Blake investigates Ro1's construction sites looking for clues, and his tip-off comes from an employee he remembers from the stock market job.

There's a nice altercation with two construction workers, including a cool (though incredibly lucky) kill created by ricocheting a bullet off the mixer. I find it interesting that after killing the two men, Blake has a moment where he looks to his gun and tosses it away. I wonder if this was a hint that he would ultimately follow in Batman's gunless footsteps? The rest of the Chapter is tightly edited, with cops moving through the tunnels and Blake driving fast. "It's a trap!"
Rating: * * * - Good

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #354 on: May 10, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »
There is that line from Fox, but I'm questioning Bruce having a fingerprint ID backdoor to the stock market in the first place when the trilogy has shown he doesn't make financial decisions with Wayne Enterprises assets.

Two separate things:

(1) His fingerprints are used to access his his OWN portfolio to buy worthless options and lose all of HIS money (which is viewed as as reckless by the Board and the market investors, kind of like if Warren Buffet dumped half his fortune into options that proved to be worthless, the market shares of the companies that he acts as officer or director of would also drop); and

(2) His fingerprints are used to access the reactor
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:46:44 PM by sdb_1970 »
letterboxd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #355 on: May 10, 2017, 09:26:24 PM »
Thank you for clarifying and please keep butting back. I'm not looking to spend the time going all negative and nit-picky. Comments like yours keep my focus in the impartial middle, which is where I might find my lost love for Nolan.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #356 on: May 10, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »

The Dark Knight Rises - Game Day
"Let the games begin."

A common complaint with modern special effects is that it gives all the explosions a video game weightlessness. Nolan impresses me here because he creates an urban apocalypse, an expanded, more ambitious version of what he did to The Narrows in Batman Begins, and most of it looks mighty real. The football field is the one debatable point, but I think that looks good enough and the rest of the explosions, especially the bridges, make up for it.

When I first watched this, the sequence had me wondering if this was a leftover idea from Nolan's original intention of bringing back The Joker. Such large-scale destruction meant to start anarchy as Bane gives the city back to the people seems like a Joker idea. However, I've now discarded thinking about what the film was perhaps supposed to be, much like I've stopped wondering if this was part of the discarded Penguin storyline, since he was described as a terrorist.
Rating: * * * - Very Good

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #357 on: May 11, 2017, 06:48:01 AM »
Hines Ward!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #358 on: May 11, 2017, 10:00:30 AM »
Yeah, I had to look that one up.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #359 on: May 11, 2017, 11:57:51 PM »

The Dark Knight Rises - Bane Makes a Speech
"We come here not as conquerers, but as liberators
to return control of this city to the people."

Curious to hear what people think about Bane being such a talker. (I guess the obvious joke here is that everyone else in a Chris Nolan film talks too much, why not Bane?) Knowing Batman mainly from the movies and TV shows, I'm not familiar with Bane. There was his stupid appearance in Batman & Robin, where I think he doesn't talk at all, just busts through walls and flexes his biceps. Maybe because of that I saw Bane as more muscle than mouth, something reinforced by his early appearances here. He's been a force of nature, much like the villain in Mulan, somebody who uses his brawn like a Juggernaut for the most direct result.

Now, after collapsing the football field, he steps onto what's left and explains his motives to Gotham. It's not a moment of grandstanding, though there's a small unavoidable amount of that. He's not recruiting, everyone is too scared of this masked man at the moment to even consider seeing wisdom in his words. All he gains is an understanding of how he plans to hold all of Gotham hostage. As far as his grand design, he ends his speech cryptically with, "Return to your homes, hold your families close and wait. Tomorrow you reclaim what is rightfully yours."
Rating: * * * - Okay