love

Author Topic: tv Christmas ads - do they need the Nativity or Christ?  (Read 1155 times)

NatalieSalat

tv Christmas ads - do they need the Nativity or Christ?
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:12:48 AM »
Here's a British ad i found - about including the Nativity scene.. I know that nativity plays are still common in the UK, despite declining religious belief in adults

Maybe they were trying to make the costume look homemade with those Mardi Gras style beads being a poor man's substitute for necklaces made of pearls?

Most angels in the Christian beliefs might take exception to the idea that they wear pearls as that is what the gates of heaven are made of.

On a lighter note, if that little boy with the scarf had been the nativity angel, i doubt that they would have put those necklaces on him :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgORQLTshDI

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: tv Christmas ads - do they need the Nativity or Christ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:20:20 AM »
Wait, do people think the gates are made of actual pearls? Really? Like Yahweh hired an interior decorated who was deep into Roman fashion and could get a good discount? Was it the same fellow who built the Taj Mahal?

« And for the walls, gemstones, gemstones everywhere. Nothing too gaudy, only emeralds, sapphires and rubys. We shall cover the place with the stuff. Brandon Sanderson shall love it. Pearls for all the gates and doors, naturally, and an obsidian floor, in case dragons invade. What's that? You don't get those here? Well, with all the winged fellows, I just assumed. No matter, it will still look jolly impressive, what. A spot of art here and there and I tell, God my lad, the place will look splendid. People will be lining up at the Crusade Recruitment Centres to get inside. »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:39:02 AM »
Yea, I've yet to read a passage about the gates being made of pearls.

And the first recorded Christmas was founded by Constantine as a Christian holiday explicitly about the birth of Christ. It's only in recent history that we perceive it as a secular holiday.

NatalieSalat

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
I could work up some offense at the angel's announcement of "I bring great news! A greater variety of gluten-free products—oh, and also, the birth of Christ."

love