Author Topic: What are you playing? - 2017 4K or Bust Edition  (Read 27487 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: What are you playing? - 2017 4K or Bust Edition
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »
Oasis is a gorgeous map. Also my favorite gameplay type, so glad there's more variety for it.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
Double Elixir challenge back for Clash Royale this weekend, which is a bummer because of the ones thus far, it's probably my least favorite. Still, that game keeps getting better. Can't wait until the new cards happen.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
Beat chapter 45 of The Phantom Pain and I'm calling it quits. I know there's more to get the "true" ending, but I already know the ending.

I'm so conflicted about this title. MGS has never played better, but the open world design leads to a lot of repetitive mission designs. The best parts are the focused, built missions like the Skull Face base or the mission to exfiltrate Code Talker. For every good mission, there are like five to ten of the same exact mission in different parts of the map.

And it's a shame because there's a great game buried in here. Once you get into the language stuff in the story, things get proper MGS, but everything else feels bog standards with the most boring characterizations of the series. And don't get me started with Quiet.

All this leads me to conclude that MGSV is the worst game in the series. Even 4 had its merits like mostly great boss fights and some great level design. And even though it's story is a middle finger to MGS fans, at least the characters have some personality to them.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
Wrong.

This is the proper ranking of the MGS series:

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
3. Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots
4. Metal Gear Solid II: Sons of Liberty
5. Metal Gear Solid III: Snake Eater
6. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Garbage Bin, Set Ablaze: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
Why do people not like The Twin Snakes? I only played it once as a kid, with years between that and playing the original before it.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 08:25:42 PM »
Why do people not like The Twin Snakes? I only played it once as a kid, with years between that and playing the original before it.

It's anime bullshit and unnecessary.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »
Love them animes. I don't know, I remember enjoying it.

WOrking through DOOM, and it's fun, but it still hasn't grabbed me. Really like the look, sound, and fluidity of the combat, but on a controller swapping weapons is a little cumbersome, which slows things down. Plus all the exploration is cool, but I run in to the problem of worrying that I'm going to wrong way and will get locked out of side stuff if I progress the main story too much.

Might finish it, really depends, still a couple of weeks until Yakuza. Then Horizon at the end of Feb, ME after that (and maybe South Park?), finally all leading up to P5!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
Two more chapters in DOOM and I'll be done. It's a lot of fun and the combat is fluid, but I'm still not head over heels for it even though I like it a lot. Still, would like to see more games like it that maybe incorporate a bit more direct storytelling. I should really play that Wolfenstein from a few years ago.

Then I'll maybe get back to Dishonored before Yakuza comes out, at least until I get to see the time level.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
After thinking it over a few days, here's how I'd break down the MGS series:

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2. Metal Gear Solid
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
4. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Need to revisit:
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Haven't done much gaming since. I've made the switch to the brave new world of Linux and it's wonderful so far. I've only found one game I can't play on Linux or my PS4 (Sea of Thieves) on the horizon. I'll have to fiddle to see if I can get some old classics like Fallout and Deus Ex running on Ubuntu, but otherwise I've got plenty to play on Ubuntu right now. Thinking about replaying some favorites and not buying any games for a few months.

Also, one of my friends picked up Destiny, so I'm probably about to get sucked back into that world. Telling him right now I'm only going to play on the weekends because I do not want to be making that a daily thing again.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 11:43:01 PM »
The correct MGS is at the top spot.

love