Author Topic: What are you playing? - 2017 4K or Bust Edition  (Read 27489 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing? - 2017 4K or Bust Edition
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
Will probably be taking my brother so he can buy it this afternoon on my BestBuy Gamer Club discount.

I'm in a holding pattern as we see if Activision will change the microtransactions plus I think if I get it at this point it'll be on the PC so that's late October at the earliest.

I've got Mario+Rabbids and BotW to finish and I'm also thinking about buying some games during the current Humble Store sale.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2017, 12:06:04 AM »
I started playing Fable on PC again. This game is the pinnacle for me. The best interface, the best levelling system, the most control in combat and most fun. Basically everything Dark Souls isn't.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #272 on: September 11, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »
Anyone in the US have experience with Amazon Prime and Best Buy pre-orders? I want to get the new DanganRonpa, and with Prime I think you get 20% off, and the standard 2 day delivery should get it there the Tuesday it comes out, right? Is Best Buy's GCU shipping similar?

EDIT: I should also wait on a pS4 Pro until there's a better bundle/paint job than the Destiny one, right? As someone who has little interest in Destiny, but now has a 4K TV.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:53:48 PM by FLYmeatwad »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
I pre-ordered the Xenoblade 2 Collector's Edition.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
Finished BotW last night. Probably my favorite Zelda game. Never finished OoT or played MM, but I can't imagine either catering to my tastes as much as BotW did. That a Zelda game of all things is this open and directionless astounds me and I hope other open world games follow this sensibility because I'm so tired of open world games being constant waypoints to follow and maps cluttered with a billion insignificant details.

Mario + Rabbids continues to be good fun. Think I just started the last world and the enemy is kicking my butt big time. The first world is certainly not endemic of how hard the game will get and I'm loving it.

Picked up a bunch of indie games from the Humble Store sale as well as another indie bundle so I'm hoping Mario + Rabbids and all of those will hold me over until Destiny 2 PC/Mario Odyssey. Oh yea, and I guess there's that standalone Dishonored 2 DLC. October is going to be a busy month.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
Destiny 2 is very much like its predecessor, in that it's an okay shooter tarnished by an elitest hardcore community that is not tolerant of casual players. I just hit level 13 and I'm not enjoying my time amongst my level 20 friends. They laugh at my pea shooters, in spite of scoring "exotic" loot, which doesn't matter until you reach the end game content. None of it matters, really, as the enemy always scales to your gear in almost every situation--thus, making the entire game feel so "samey," especially considering you're fighting the exact same enemies of Destiny 1.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
Sounds like your friends are the problem, not the game. My group is super supportive and would run me through lower level content to get me leveled up quicker. And most of my LFG encounters were pretty friendly as long as you were upfront about your skill level.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #277 on: September 18, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
Meanwhile my love affair with board games continues on. Board games are so great! You should all find people to play with because there's never been a better time for boardgaming!

Played Specter Ops 3v1 with me being the agent. They almost got me out of the gate but a couple of items got me out of their grips and then I inched away so they couldn’t get me on sensors. Eventually they deduced where I was and the chase was on. They got within a square of seeing me twice but having the agent that let me get objectives from a distance saved my skin and let me pop an objective and then by super far away by the end of the turn. I dug this one so much. It’s my first experience with hidden movement but I think I adore this mechanic.

Slipped in a quick game of The Resistance. It’s fun enough but I think it’s so group dependent. This was also a teaching game so I think it became clear that the people who played before were the rogue agents. I do like this one, but it feels like there’s only so much to it. I’m kinda debating if I want to pick up Secrets and see if it’s a good alternative.

We played Cthulhu Wars again and I ended up winning through treachery but hey, never trust a great old one to tell you the truth. I really dig this game as a get a bunch of minis and then go roll up against a bunch of other minis. I don’t find it as interesting or engaging as as say Kemet, Blood Rage or Inis but the scale of it is so much fun.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #278 on: September 18, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
I played through Act 1 of Hiveswap. It took a few hours, but that's because there's so much text, and plenty more I didn't interact with through item combinations and environmental experimentation. Everything aside from the actual gameplay is great (writing, art, music in that order, though that's nothing against what Toby Fox does with the music), but the puzzles themselves make this feel like such a simple adventure game. Of course, it is just an introduction, and it does a good job of that. Naturally, FLY loves all the references to Clarissa Explains It All, and though it gets 90's heavy, which I guess makes sense since it takes place in 1994, but the writing is super sharp regardless. Not sure how much one would get out of it without having read the webcomic, since at that point you're playing an easy point and click with genuinely funny writing, but as an extension of that it's cool seeing a lot of the art come to life with new characters and a number of nods towards the source material. Hopefully the next act doesn't take forever to get made.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #279 on: September 19, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
Wrote a really long piece about how Breath of the Wild owes a lot to Far Cry 2.

love