Author Topic: Bondo's Top "100" "Movies" of the 2010s  (Read 1830 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
Re: Bondo's Top "100" "Movies" of the 2010s
« Reply #220 on: Today at 02:09:40 PM »
Nice number one. Looking forward to revisiting this one.

etdoesgood

• Elite Member
  • These are a few of my favorite things...
Re: Bondo's Top "100" "Movies" of the 2010s
« Reply #221 on: Today at 03:38:00 PM »
#1 The Florida Project
Theme: Sean Baker
Also Featuring: Tangerine

And there it is, the best film of the decade, one of the top ten all time, is The Florida Project. It is the confluence of so many things that work for me in films. There is a compassionate, small drama look at poverty, there are children being resilient in the face of poverty, there is a surrogate father figure doing his best to look after a single mother and her daughter, though admittedly in my case the interest in the mother is less platonic and professional. Love me a hot mess to try to sort out even though I know there is little that can be done. Obviously Moonee is blameless, but even as Halley makes bad decisions there is an irresistible charisma, and a hustle in its own way. It is easy to fall into judgment when Halley gets a slight windfall and they immediately spend some amount of it on junk from the dollar store, and that kind of judgment is the heart of the American welfare state, but they have so little joy that it is cruel to make that judgment as if that handful of dollars was going to make a difference in their plight. The ultimate heartbreak is a brilliantly edited scene showing how much of her mother has nestled in Moonee. After setting this as my #1 I watched it again with a friend who hadnít seen it and of course she loved it. This is a film that appeals to serious film watchers and those who generally stick to blockbusters alike.

I already knew from Letterboxd, but YAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've also gotten quite a few people to watch this, and reactions are always positive.
A desert person.

My Sight & Sound 100 Marathon

Simple Distinctions:
Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  | Bad