Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 83814 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2770 on: November 19, 2018, 02:59:49 AM »
Redline (2009)
Rating: ★ ★ ★ - Good

I don't know what it'll say about me if it makes my top 100, but I'm gunna give it a try. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #2771 on: November 19, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
Redline (2009)
Rating: ★ ★ ★ - Good
I watched the opening minutes of this film and always meant to circle back on it and watch the rest. This might be the nudge I need.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2772 on: November 19, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

Plays like a series of demented Looney Toons sketches - which I loved. Unsurprisingly from the Coen's there's great comedy along with great violence. The standout for me, was Tom Waits in "All Gold Canyon". Perfect visual storytelling and a great performance from him. "Meal Ticket" is like a macabre Pixar short, and "The Gal Who Got Rattled" is a Western epic in miniature.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2773 on: November 20, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
Ralph Breaks the Internet
It's never as Great as the first film, but I can't recall a scene in it I didn't like. Oddly scattershot at times, with an unusual plot that has Ralph and Vanellope rushing through a lot of ideas perhaps too quickly. I really liked the break from tradition in terms of the villain, but there are a couple of bizarre choices even more indulgent than the Disney section.
★ ★ ★ - Good

I understand pretty much everyone enjoyed Incredibles 2 more than I did. That said, I think this film is better in terms of emotions and tough choices. It's also visually more creative.

p.s. Gal Gadot's theme is awesome. That makes 2 awesome themes for her.

p.p.s. In order for the film to work they had to redesign the Sugar Rush console from two-people racing simultaneously to a single player experience.

p.p.p.s. Because I know you usually ask this FLY, 3D is the preferred format. There's a higher than usual amount of stuff hurtling towards or away from the screen, plus the internet is very immersive in 3D.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:07:35 PM by 1SO »
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2774 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:23 PM »
Interesting, I had mostly decided to see this in 2-D because I figured it'd be more colorful, which would benefit it more, but if the 3-D is either good/supposed to be good I might go that route. Seems like my local theaters don't have a ton of 3-D showtimes compared to 2-D, though I figure that's more a #SignOfTheTimes

My 3-D woes will, for major motion pictures of a slightly higher scale, slightly lessen, as they opened a Dolby Cinema about 40 minutes away from me. Saw Magical Monsters The Misdeeds of Deep in it and was super impressed by the picture quality, especially for a film that was so dark. Less blown away by the sound, surprisingly, but my ears have been kind of clogged lately according to the doctor, which is abnormal for me. Either way, I anticipate seeing stuff like the 'big' Marvel films and Star Wars things there, depends what really demands it. Those things can't do 3-D, but I guess that option is more special/situational since it's still a little hike.

Looking forward to being on the right side with you in terms of this vs. Incredibles 2, even if the trailers have me entering it with a good deal of skepticism despite really enjoying the first one (even with the world breaking MGS reference).

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
« Reply #2775 on: November 21, 2018, 07:06:48 AM »
I understand pretty much everyone enjoyed Incredibles 2 more than I did. That said, I think this film is better in terms of emotions and tough choices. It's also visually more creative.

I found Incredibles 2 pretty terrible. At first I thought that I just can't tolerate, much less enjoy, this Disney/Pixar *and* superhero stuff anymore, but no, revisiting the first one afterwards was a delightful experience (I remember Ralph not faring as well upon rewatch).

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #2776 on: November 21, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindlewald

Hmmm, yeah so that was a thing.
The twist at the end was so clumsy that I groaned.
Nice world building and characterization.
The opening set piece was awesome.
Iíll be interested in hearing the opinions from you guys...

So much of the film feels clumsy. Did Yates forget how to make a film? Some of the staging feels feels straight up amateurish, and it doesnít have any of the visual intrigue of his previous entries in the Potter series.

The script is the biggest problem. Rowling just should have written these as a new novel series. She tries to cram in too many characters/subplots, none of them coalesce, none are given proper time to develop.

Jude Law is maybe the least interesting person they could have cast. He misses all the subtlety of the character.

Iím super disappointed you guys.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2777 on: November 21, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »
It's not great, Bob. I enjoyed some of the action sequences and I actually liked Jude Law, but he doesn't get nearly enough to do. I also still like Redmayne and his character, he just gets lost among every other superfluous thing going on here.
Check out my blog of many topics

ďIím not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!Ē

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2778 on: November 21, 2018, 07:48:24 PM »
Hit up my friend after I watched this and broke it down this way. FLY loves Harry Potter, there's no doubt about that, so I'm always going to like these things despite Yates's previous films not doing a ton for me and not really caring about/actively disliking (that fat guy) a lot of the characters. The problem with this new series, and one that WB seems to be aware of with this kind of under performing, is that it's all plot. The best part of HP is the world, even the core series I like a ton, but it's the world that drew me in, and got me so invested in the series; here so much of that feels like an afterthought. Of course you aren't going to get the same sense of discovery that you would with the novels because so much has been established and, a lot of the time, perspective lets us learn with those characters, but we don't really get the vicarious thrills because all the characters that matter know the world already. So anything new is just 'oh, here's that, it works like this' and then it's gone.

Which is bound to happen in a film, I get that, less time for it to grow and, at this point, it's so constructed we know we're getting 5 more of these and roughly know exactly when they'll happen.

But the heart of it all is there's just too much plot here, and it's the whole point of everything. In the best HP books (Goblet of Fire, HBP, Chamber to a lesser extent) you get a self contained story that is compelling on its own and based in that world, which eventually connects to the larger conflict. The series struggles for me when there's a disconnect between those two (OotP is awful, and Deathly Hallows gets so far from Hogwarts/needs to be so main plotty that it's unavoidably rough at times), and with Fantastic Beasts it's pretty much all disconnect because, despite only being in the second film, shit is popping the CINECAST! off. Like I know what 'the crimes of Grindlewald' are, but not really because he doesn't do all that much here, so it's just a subtitle that doesn't really tie in to the individual story because that individual story doesn't mean anything. It's just a part of a whole. Aside from already knowing the conclusion, which I don't think is necessarily bad because that can still be compelling if you're invested in the world, the stage is set for that central conflict to come bubbling. There's just no room to breathe. And that kind of sucks.

But it could maybe still come together, and perhaps the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's hard to say this early, though that on its own has to be concerning when you figure there's well over 10 more hours of this during the next 11 years. I only watched the first Hobbit, but I wonder if it's a similar problem WB had there.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2779 on: November 21, 2018, 08:28:32 PM »
Ant-Man & The Wasp (2018)

I think I'm fully caught up with all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. I'm not entirely why I've seen all 682 of them considering I would count myself among the underwhelmed, but there we have it. I forget if I reviewed Ant-Man when I watched it recently, but it would actually rank in my top 5 MCU films, being a sucker as I am for father-daughter films. Whether or not he would get to be in her life was more relevant stakes than the end of the world. I was much more mixed on this follow-up. Ghost was an interesting rival, and a bit like Killmonger in that you could relate to the cause even as ultimately their methods were questionable. But then there's Walton Goggins and Co. and I'm not entirely sure about their motives other than generic "do bad things, get rich" and it got really busy. And I guess mother-daughter drama is less compelling to me?

The Kindergarten Teacher (2018)

Maybe I should have watched this for Shocktober. While certainly not horror and maybe not even a thriller, this drama had me feeling increasingly tense watching as Lisa (Maggie Gyllenhaal) crosses lines for her peculiar obsession. Also, I'm not down with OPP (Other People's Poetry). When supposed experts start praising stuff that seems entirely bland, it does take one out, though again, most poetry would cause this reaction. I give the film some points for the raw response aspect.