Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684467 times)

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2840 on: December 11, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »
Adam Sandler 100% Fresh
Not expecting the sincerity and honesty that Sandler exhibited on stage. It’s sophmoric in the best Sandler way, but genuinely moving and the end made me realize how much Sandler meant to me as a kid. It’s earnest and completely without pretension.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2841 on: December 11, 2018, 11:56:52 PM »
Madeline's Madeline has a style combining disconnected images and sound that reminds me of Krisha, which I liked. My liking this a lot less may be because I'm having arthouse burnout, but for all the technique to internalize what's happening I never got inside this film's head.

Feel like I need to put off for awhile anything that made David Ehrlich's Top 25

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2842 on: December 12, 2018, 12:12:29 AM »
So no Mission Impossible review incoming?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2843 on: December 12, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
I wish I hadn't seen that already. It's the kind of film I need right now. I'm more excited for Vice than I was a week ago.

Looking at my 2018 Watchlist, I see some mainstream titles to look forward to.
Creed II
Into the Spider-Verse
AquaMan (?)
and of course, Mary Poppins Returns

I'm still highly excited for Roma and If Beale Street... but I don't want this malady to spread and taint what are probably really good films. I have a screener for First Man on deck along with Bad Times at the El Royale. Upgrade was debatable, but now it's a certainty.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2844 on: December 12, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »
I think you'll have a good time with Bad Times and Upgrade. I'm not sure either one works all the way through, but they are definitely fun when they are working.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2845 on: December 12, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »
There's a host of good movies in theaters yet somehow I find myself most excited for Into the Spider-verse. Might catch a late showing tomorrow night.

Madeline's Madeline tested my nerves - theater kids, man - but at least the film recognized how silly their theatrical endeavor was and how it rested on the whims of a director who didn't really know what she was even looking for. I only gave it two stars, but did think Helena Howard was very good.

I think there's a good chance you'll enjoy Upgrade.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2846 on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »
I don't have anything to add to Minding the Gap discussion that I haven't already put into my review, but I lean more to Junior's camp.

Raja 2003
I wouldn't have watched this, except that the film is mysteriously in my DVD collection, so why not?
Turns out to be a Rohmeresque discussion on desire, sexuality, love and cross-cultural/cross-class communication.  I think it equals most of Rohmer's output that I've seen and the will-they-won't-they kept me involved throughout the run of the film.  It's a gem.  One could write a thesis on the various relationships in this film.

4/5

Clerks
Revisiting, it isn't as funny or witty as the first time though.  Apart from the noncommitment issues of Dante, there is little to separate this film from a good Kevin Smith rant.  I'll probably not keep this one.

The Brothers Bloom
Revisiting.  Still enjoyable, but there needs to be much more Rinko Kikuchi.  Rachel Weiss is at her quirky best and everyone seems to be having a great time, although no one is really acting.  It's a keeper, but I think I'll take it off my top list and replace it with The Last Jedi.  4/5

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2847 on: December 12, 2018, 06:44:15 PM »

The Brothers Bloom
there needs to be much more Rinko Kikuchi.

This works for any movie...
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2848 on: December 12, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »

The Brothers Bloom

I hadn't thought of that, but it's true.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2849 on: December 12, 2018, 09:41:07 PM »

The Brothers Bloom

I hadn't thought of that, but it's true.

I have watched The Brothers Bloom a couple of times but thought there was little special about it except for Rinko Kikuchi.  Her expressions and outfits throughout the film are a joy to watch and she has the one shining moment in the film when she first speaks. I can't imagine that this film would work at all without her. Her storyline in Babel also helped save the film (for me).  I loved the book Norwegian Wood and was hopeful when I heard she was going to be in it. But I never got around to watching the film after reading some negativity.  Did anybody watch and like it?

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love