love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 683931 times)

Jeff Schroeck

Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3110 on: February 11, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »

A Matter of Life and Death (1946) - Rewatch
David Niven is unflappable in the face of Nazis, death and nationalistic rivalries. At its core a story of love flowering under duress in clipped language of radio etiquette, The Archers take it in the most breath-taking directions. The camera lingers on massed ranks of the dead as the most ornately rhetorical court case in cinematic history fizzes before them. They all look so alive. Despite the mandated play to soften the hearts of Americans, this has such audacity it’s impossible not to love it.

In my top 10. So joyful, it feels like a Christmas-time movie, even though it's not.

My favorite from this past week was Personal Shopper. It's not a long or complicated story, but its themes lingered in my head. A film-lover's film. Can the camera see more than we can understand? Do we trust ourselves more than we trust a screen? A g-g-g-ghost movie without being a horror movie. (The main character says she hates horror movies.) Seems intended as a conversational companion to The Double Life of Veronique.

I've had Personal Shopper on my long watchlist since it came out but with a comparison to Veronique I think I'm gonna try to get to it much sooner!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3111 on: February 11, 2019, 02:52:02 PM »
Personal Shopper is probably the biggest film I regret missing in recent years. I should watch it soon.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #3112 on: February 11, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »
Personal Shopper is probably the biggest film I regret missing in recent years. I should watch it soon.

It came on Netflix last week! I'd been wanting to see it so long. Made me want to rewatch Clouds of Sils Maria too.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3113 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:08 PM »
Personal Shopper is so good, and that ending!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3114 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:58 PM »
I love Personal Shopper. One more viewing and I bet it will make my top 100.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3115 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:26 PM »
Alita: Battle Angel

Robert Rodriguez does action well and his over the top approach works so good here. The CGI is way beyond Avatar but you do see producer James Cameron’s stamp in how this film looks.
The world building is delightful and the action is over the top. The fight scenes are choreographed very well and it flows, it’s never disjointed like Nolan’s Batman Begins.
The story is good, it’s action and a little romance. It doesn’t take itself too seriously and the humor works.
I really want to check out the source material now.

Was lucky enough to score free tickets for an advance screening but I will definitely catch this again in the theater when it’s released.
Hey, nice marmot!

ProperCharlie

• Am I right sir? Ithangyou.
« Reply #3116 on: February 11, 2019, 11:17:49 PM »

In my top 10. So joyful, it feels like a Christmas-time movie, even though it's not.

My favorite from this past week was Personal Shopper. It's not a long or complicated story, but its themes lingered in my head. A film-lover's film. Can the camera see more than we can understand? Do we trust ourselves more than we trust a screen? A g-g-g-ghost movie without being a horror movie. (The main character says she hates horror movies.) Seems intended as a conversational companion to The Double Life of Veronique.

Wasn't A Matter of Life and Death released at Christmas, against It's a Wonderful Life?  The residual association may still linger somewhere.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3117 on: February 12, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
Fahrenheit 11/9

Police: "Do They Have Any Weapons?"
Office: "Michael Moore is here."

Pending yet another rewatch, I maintain that Bowling For Columbine is a great film. But man, I just don't go for his style anymore. In hindsight, his Nader support and "Both parties are the same" rhetoric in 2000 was particularly obnoxious. He stans Bernie Sanders at points here. He also comes out against Nancy Pelosi...which feels dated already. He's not helping, like, it's just super dumb. He hasn't learned anything from the past two decades.

Hmm, I want to know what you mean exactly, but I'm not sure how to ask the question. Is it that you feel like it would be better to work on the democrats issues after they're in power, since they are the lesser evil?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3118 on: February 12, 2019, 02:53:50 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't think the Democrats really have problems in the sense that leftist critique of the party imagines them, and are not a lesser evil but actually are very good. I think the Sanders/Moore/Nader critique is institution-blind. Because Joe Manchin in a very red state runs as a Democrat but votes in problematic ways at times, it is apparently a taint on the entire party. But because of the nature of the Senate, people like Manchin are the pivot points.

Ultimately, they are underpants gnomes:
Step A: Demand ideological purity on the left.
Step B: ???
Step C: Utopia.

The key to more liberal outcomes isn't Democrats who are more liberal, it is more Democrats who are liberal.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3119 on: February 12, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »
I think I see where you're coming from, thanks.

I just watched it is why I'm asking. When you said "He's not helping", was that specifically in regards to the bits on Pelosi, or more of an overall feeling about the doc?

love