love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684382 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3260 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »
A Goofy Movie-- It was pleasant enough when my kids wanted to watch it and I was forced to sit through it with them.  On the other hand, it triggered a period of time when I was unable to watch movies.  Children's movies were the one time I could get to the theatre because I could take my son, then other kids, until we could afford babysitters.  But the opening scene when Max has a nightmare that he has turned into his father had enough body horror that my preschool son freaked out, we had to leave immediately, and he refused to enter a theatre for years until the memory faded.  He watched the movie later on a laptop screen with no ill effect.   Anyway, I hold the film no ill will, but I also am not interested in re-watching it.

Sleeping Beauty-- As a young adult, I decided that I had seen too few Disney movies so as they were re-released into theatres, I would seek them out.  This is the film that made me understand the beauty and majest of Disney art.  I still love it for that, although, I admit, the story is lacking.

Brave-- My daughter and I love this movie so much.  I am surprised at Carrie's reaction, but perhaps I shouldn't be.  It was ungratitude to the ultimate degree.  I think I balance it out by the fact that her mother was forcing her to marry one of three baffoons, which is an act of horrible parenting.

Isn't It Romantic?

Rebel Wilson from the Pitch Perfect movies continues her style of comedy in a high-concept in which she is trapped in the most cliche of romantic comedies, fully aware of her fate.  It felt at times to be a repeat of I Feel Pretty, the funny Amy Schumer vehicle last year, but this year's film works because I think Rebel Wilson is funny and because the film presents her as a real romantic lead, not "fat person comedy", which was the box she was often forced in the PP movies.  It was an excellent time with my daughter, who has been having a hard time, and we both laughed a lot.  Good enough.  3.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3261 on: February 28, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
A Goofy Movie was the first film I remember seeing in theaters. Haven't watched it as an adult.

Sleeping Beauty is one I loved more for the animation and world than the story, so I get you not liking those elements. The simplicity of it worked well for me but I do need to revisit it.

Brave is one I probably need to give another chance. One of the few Pixar films I've only watched once. Giving my Scottish heritage I was hoping I would love it, but left kinda bummed by how bumbling I felt the story was.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3262 on: February 28, 2019, 10:34:38 PM »
Mulan weighs in at a whopping THIRTY-ONE writing credits, beating out even Pocahontas. And yet it manages to be a considerably better flick. Not perfect, though. Only one of those writers has a Chinese name, which doesn't mean none of the other writers were Chinese but it sure feels like a white guy's (or 30 white guys') rendition of Chinese culture. I don't want to get too offended on anyone else's behalf, but a lot of characteristics and tropes on display are a little bit uncomfortable. Naming a character "Mushu" does not sit well with me. I also object to the romantic interest shoehorned in there. First of all, how mind-numbingly cliché and obvious that Shang is going to be the one... the square jaw, the alpha male bullshit, the fact that he's the only one around who doesn't look like a total goofball. More importantly, HE TREATS HER LIKE SHIT. CINECAST! that guy! Why this perverse need to keep making your princesses hook up with Mr. Handsomepants, Disney? I was pleased that they at least left it somewhat ambiguous at the end... until I read that in the sequel they get married a month later. Groan.

Okay, griping over. Other than those things, I liked this quite a bit. There's some intriguing scenarios and clever bits of action, the jokes are mostly pretty good (as in Shrek, Eddie Murphy ends up being the best thing about the movie), and the songs are jaunty and enjoyable. The artwork is really lovely and the animation looks quite accomplished to my inexpert eye. The climax is kind of messy and all over the place, but it holds your attention. It was mostly fun, with a few reservations. Rating: Good (73)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:19:28 PM by MartinTeller »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3263 on: February 28, 2019, 10:52:07 PM »
Now You See Me 2 (2016)
★ ★ ★ - Good
When I enjoyed the first film in what I now hope is a series, I took it as a fluke. A guilty pleasure that caught me in the right mood. So when I found myself falling under the spell again, I thought about why. The magic on display is complete B.S., but it's a level of magic I wish existed. When things get too unbelievable - like entering a tunnel in New York and emerging in Macau - the script will slow down to throw in an explanation. Credit goes to the effects, used in a way that looks real if such elaborate tricks were possible. When Jesse Eisenberg turns a serving tray into a suitcase, it's done with the handwork and flash of a master illusionist.

Director Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) doesn't apologize for the silliness, putting the flash of magic over the previous film's action scenes. The centerpiece is a crazy sleigh-of-hand heist involving a chip hiding on a playing card. The magicians move the card and pass it between each other in a way that could never be achieved by the greatest magicians working without effects, but the execution just tickled me. That's the experience in a nutshell, a heist/con film performed by master magicians as portrayed by actors doing their best movie star work. This is the hyper-nerdy Jesse Eisenberg I want to see. Woody Harrelson also plays his twin brother as an obvious spoof of Matthew McConaughey. The villain is Daniel Radcliffe.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3264 on: March 01, 2019, 05:01:37 AM »
The Light of the Moon

This mostly caught my eye because I like Stephanie Beatriz in Brooklyn Nine-Nine. There is a definite adjustment period seeing her play vulnerable and emotional since Rosa is such a badass. The thrust of the film is Bonnie (Beatriz) coping with the trauma of a sexual assault walking home at night, and how it reverberates through her relationship with those around her. There are a few moments that don't quite work but on the whole it is very nuanced in bringing up challenges that I wouldn't necessarily think of, in addition to some of the more commonly noted things.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3265 on: March 01, 2019, 09:49:41 PM »
They they are taking Mushu out of the live action remake. Wonder if they partner with McDonald's again though...  :-\

Thunder Road

Not much to say about this one. There was the one part where James does crunches and it made me look real hard at myself before, even though I decided to skip them tonight since I went pretty CINECAST!ing HARD yesterday on legs/shoulders/core/cardio, doing them about half an hour after the movie was over. Definitely a movie about white men being white men. What a time to be alive.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3266 on: March 02, 2019, 02:30:11 AM »
They they are taking Mushu out of the live action remake.
I had read that too. They're also replacing the bad guy with a witch, which makes it sound like a completely different film. Now I hear Kevin Hart is in talks to play Mushu.

It's accepted that Disney's straight-to-DVD sequels are best not taken as part of the story. They're often worked on by different writers, directors and producers.

The secret weapon of Mulan is the Conan the Barbarian-esque score by Jerry Goldsmith. The scene where the Hun army charges down the mountain is a favorite of mine.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3267 on: March 02, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »
Happy Death Day (2017)

I'd heard the hype, and bought the hype, and still this exceeded my expectations. It is so fun and so clever, and features an outstanding lead performance by Jessica Rothe. The filmmakers make truly great use of the premise. The writing is super sharp and provides some genuine twists and turns that are perfectly setup and paid off. And talk about great editing. A moment that brought a huge smile to my face was when Tree hangs herself in the bell tower and then immediately cutting to the establishing shot of the bell tower that opened the movie. Great stuff. Kudos to Israel Broussard as well. He stood out in To All the Boys I've Loved Before, and he's very charming and natural here. Hopefully Rothe has big things ahead (though her IMDb doesn't have any upcoming projects listed). She's a powerhouse here.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3268 on: March 02, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »
That reads like I wrote it.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3269 on: March 02, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »
That reads like I wrote it.