Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684578 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3450 on: April 18, 2019, 02:04:32 PM »
Where did you think Lupita was weak? I would think she has a strong shot at Awards consideration if not for Toni Collette getting ignored last year.

The one scene that felt off was in the bedroom with her husband talking about wanting to leave. I know she's playing things on multiple levels here, but it was the only time her acting felt really soap-y. It's a minor quibble. She's great otherwise.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3451 on: April 18, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »
Counterpoint, Hereditary was a really awful film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3452 on: April 18, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »
What is that a counterpoint to? I didn't read any comment about the quality of the film, just Toni Collette's performance. There are great performances in bad films all the time.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3453 on: April 18, 2019, 11:07:54 PM »
I might buy that in a supporting role. If the lead role is great and the film isn't, the lead role wasn't great.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3454 on: April 19, 2019, 09:34:19 AM »
I've got Hereditary in my on deck pile, and knowing that Bondo claims it's a "really awful film" makes me all the more excited to see it. Is it better or worse than "very bad film" Goodfellas?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3455 on: April 19, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »

Under the Silver Lake (2019)

Under the Silver Lake is easy to dismiss. It's an odyssey through a Los Angeles that doesn't exist, though the film's best hook is that it acts like it's all right in front of your eyes, just below the surface. It's a mystery that you realize will never be solved, or even really explained, and there are few things more frustrating than a filmmaker jerking you around for 130 minutes with questions they don't intend to answer but instead just pile on more questions. On top of that the film is gross, with gratuitous shots of fecal matter and cinema's nastiest skunk attack, and it sexualizes nearly every women that appears in it.

And yet...

Under the Silver Lake is hard to let go. It's being called this generation's Southland Tales, and I never thought I'd see another film so soon that has the same level of ambition and bewildering moments, that feels like it's set in the same cinematic universe. A film that knows exactly what it's doing, but I can't figure out why it would choose to do it. With some minor exceptions, I despised Southland Tales, but I find this oddly compelling. I think that's due to Andrew Garfield's performance creating a solid center and a weird confidence that unlike Richard Kelly, director David Robert Mitchell knows what he's going for. Like Jordan Peele's Us, it's a film that invites a lot of perspectives, even though a lot of the content is uninviting.

The big internal debate I'm having right now is regarding the female characters. In a time when Hollywood is ever so slowly turning the ship in a more respectful direction, this movie puts women's bodies on display like it's the 1970s and the camera operator is Ron Burgundy. This isn't done for crass exploitation like Michael Bay, but a deliberate choice to show how a young adult male like Garfield's character views his world. This is set up in the opening shot, where I believe Garfield isn't looking at the graffiti on a store window but at the woman's body that moves while she tries to clean it. I don't believe the movie is sexist, but the main character can't not relate to females in this way.
★ ★ ★ - Good
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:33:29 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3456 on: April 19, 2019, 10:08:15 AM »
I've got Hereditary in my on deck pile, and knowing that Bondo claims it's a "really awful film" makes me all the more excited to see it. Is it better or worse than "very bad film" Goodfellas?
Hereditary (2018)

I suppose there's a technical credit to the film in how it is shot and certain creepy aspects of its design. But I couldn't really follow the mythology of it nor derive any type of useful metaphor from it. I left feeling such a high level of contempt for every bit of it. Worst film of the year.

I don't want this to become a pile on on Bondo, but I sometimes watch movies I have trouble following and I admit that and consider it when forming my opinion. This reads like it's the film's fault that he couldn't follow it. That's probably just a bad choice of words and should read, "the film's mythology can't be followed," which would lead more naturally to creating a high level of contempt.

Either way, Bondo should never watch Under the Silver Lake. Factoring that in with what I already wrote it could earn his "worst film ever made" award.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3457 on: April 19, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »
That film needs to come to places that aren't NY and LA NOW!

I did just get back from Teen Spirit, as well, and if there was any concern that it might not be a film literally designed for me to love, I can put those fears to rest as it is, in fact, the greatest, and #TeamElle continues to be amazing always.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3458 on: April 19, 2019, 09:18:33 PM »
It is the film's fault that I couldn't follow it. It is literally the artist's job to communicate to the audience.

Either way, Bondo should never watch Under the Silver Lake. Factoring that in with what I already wrote it could earn his "worst film ever made" award.

You ignore that I adore both films from David Robert Mitchell

P.S. Heredity is worse than Goodfellas.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3459 on: April 19, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »
You ignore that I adore both films from David Robert Mitchell

Been meaning to catch up with Myth literally since it came out, one of the very early Screened.com spotlights, so I plan on getting to that soon. Very excited.