love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684616 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3620 on: June 30, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »
Fast Color (2019)

This is a movie that felt like a muted episode of Supernatural not a wide release event.
This was my reaction to Brightburn. At first I wondered why it was made on the cheap but by the end I understood. They didn't put enough into the story, characters or presentation aside from a couple of memorable gore effects.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3621 on: June 30, 2019, 11:34:27 PM »
The Collector

Over 50 years old, this film (which I imagine inspired Kiss The Girls as well) speaks to the current concept of "incels."
#130 on my Essentials, so when I started this review I thought you were going to comment on it looking not as old as it is. In a way you do, but I meant more in terms of the level of adult content. Still, you're right about its presentation of the incel mindset and I have to think this was the first to present that type so directly. There are hints of it in Psycho and Peeping Tom, but they had other issues going on in their psychology.

My only hesitation in promoting this film more is it is so solidly in his mindset rather than hers that you get into that sticky character view vs. creator view conundrum.
You got me thinking hard here. I could imagine another version of the same events, telling the story as solidly from her point of view, though as the victim I don't know how much depth could be examined. I don't think you could do both at the same time because it would let too much air into Freddie's warped mind, undercutting what the film is doing. I think it does a remarkable job of staying with Freddie, but not in a way that you are ever rooting for him or even excusing his behavior. There's enough 3rd person observation to know he is troubled and he's trouble.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3622 on: July 01, 2019, 05:31:50 AM »
I think the thing that pushed it toward trouble was his end monologue and his facing no punishment such that he can offend again. The world offers no rebuttal. In any event, it doesn't suffer it nearly like Scorsese films with their bad characters.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3623 on: July 01, 2019, 11:45:45 PM »
42 (2013)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
I've known about Jackie Robinson since I was a kid learning baseball and his achievement appears to be an obvious one for a can't miss bio-pic. For years there was one in development with Denzel Washington to be directed by Spike Lee. Based on this, I can only assume the delay was because there isn't much surrounding the central racial tension. Perhaps the best approach would be a more natural progression of how Robinson altered racial opinions. Instead we get repeated incidents of white people being racist before immediately becoming woke and showing regret or apologizing. I've never seen Chadwick Boseman given so little to test his abilities, leaving him only the crutch of nobility to lean on. Harrison Ford seems unnatural playing a character's mannerisms for the first time. Alan Tudyk steals a couple of scenes as Philadelphia coach Ben Chapman, who uses racism to antagonize but is clueless how ingrained his racism is.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3624 on: July 02, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »
The Danish Girl (2015)
★ ★
Reading about the film afterwards, it seems the biggest sin was not doing due diligence of having discussions with transgendered people, choosing to make up motivations for Lili's internal struggle and getting a lot of the basic psychology wrong. This was made by cisgender people and made for them and since I'm one I thought this was being respectful and sensitive, which shows how much we just don't know yet. On a level I'm more comfortable discussing - cinema - this isn't the dry Oscar bait I had assumed, though it skirts along the line. I've never had a problem with director Tom Hooper, choosing him over Stephen Daldry any day. Redmayne gonna Redmayne, but this is the best performance I've seen by Alicia Vikander. She's easily the best part of the film.

American Grindhouse (2013)
★ ★ ★ - Very Good
Initial Review
I debated writing about this again because my first review largely holds up, but I know this Board gets the most attention is this is a criminally underseen Doc. I had to think of something negative to say and I settled on it rushes through history too quickly, acting as more of a glossy overview of exploitation through the ages, when a longer deep dive (like Martin Scorsese's 4 hour docs) would fill in the details wonderfully. Once again, I love how Grindhouse isn't looked at as a movement in the 60s and 70s but something that started in the earliest short films, pushed up against the Hayes Code and spent years hiding in Noir before knocking down the barriers and letting all manner of sex and violence break loose. One of the decade's best.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3625 on: July 02, 2019, 09:43:19 PM »
Midsommar is too long, too slow, and too bright. It's silly and then gory and then silly again. I want to see it like 5 more times. Highly recommended.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3626 on: July 03, 2019, 06:33:30 AM »
Going tonight after work, I can't wait. Only reason I wasn't there last night was because I felt some sense of obligation to be #StickyWithSpidey

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #3627 on: July 03, 2019, 07:35:38 AM »
Just watched The Happytimes Murders and it was fine, crude, yes, but nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3628 on: July 03, 2019, 09:48:55 PM »
Going tonight after work, I can't wait. Only reason I wasn't there last night was because I felt some sense of obligation to be #StickyWithSpidey

It even had penis! So brave.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3629 on: July 03, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »

It even had penis! So brave.

Which? Midsommer, Happytime or Spidy?