Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 90792 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3880 on: November 16, 2019, 11:35:57 PM »

Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made (2018)

A friend of mine produced a Horror film, but unlike most of these situations you may actually start hearing some buzz about Antrum, recently released on Amazon Prime. It has a clever hook that gives it a strong foundation for cult status. The film is bracketed by a documentary (fake) about this film's initial release during the 1970s which always ended in disaster and death. We are then shown the film in it entirety, which is fairly mundane, but there are moments when other images seem to be spliced into the film or layered over its images. This aspect is examined after the end credits.

On the positive side, the layering is clever and produces a moment that really got to me where the film cuts to black and the faint outline of a demon stares at you from the darkness. The opening doc effectively sets up that you're about to watch something forbidden and possibly troublesome. It's the video from The Ring with all safety layers removed, and the 70s look is very convincing. However, without the meta-layer, it's a very forgettable piece. There is some horror to Antrum, but not nearly enough. Without that hook, this has no bite at all.
Rating: ★ ★ Ĺ

- A couple of really creepy images
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3881 on: November 17, 2019, 12:22:24 AM »
Hello.

I watched, for the first time since I saw it in theaters, the motion picture Frozen tonight on the streaming service Disney+, for which I am thankful even though they CINECAST!ed up Gravity Falls apparently.

This thing, at the time, and especially after it really 'blew up' had a lot of haters. Most of which were from nitpicks, by FLY's estimation. And, while I wasn't sure since I hadn't watched it, this film has done nothing but rise in my estimation since I watched it. Good to see that was justified, and I really think most of the complaints I've heard aren't entirely justified. Granted, this film does have a problem, but it's one I knew even at the time when I first watched it, and that's the Anna problem. The core of the film is the relationship between the sisters, of course, but Elsa is the true compelling character, and it's all the more apparent of a rewatch that she's more complex/I wish it was more about her. Ofc "Let It Go" is a fire starter, though I know the reason it works is maybe not why it should work, but hey, that's sort of like an element of the tension that I like so much in #FBC, so guess that explains why I've taken to it. Plus I work in the Demi version when I hit cardio. That whole scene climbing up the mountain and making the ice castle is wonderful, moments like that is when the film soars. Not that Anna is completely bad, just compared to Elsa she feels less interesting. That's a bad word, but it's late, so whatevs. She is less interesting. I'm 'in' TGP now, and didn't really register that Bell was Anna originally, nor was I as taken with what Bell can do as I have become, but she does stand out here. Which isn't her fault, because if you really consider it, she hold her own with a lot of talented musical performers and fake Jonah (though that's not fair, I listen to TBoM OST a ton, and Gadd is good for what he needs to do), but it is more apparent on this rewatch that she needs to reach a bit more to sell her songs.

But I'm coming down negative when, in reality, this probably is DAS's best since Bolt, though I guess I could make a case for WiR or maybe even WiR2 once it really gets going.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3882 on: November 17, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »
Thanks to the ease of Disney+, I've now seen Descendants and Descendants 2, which is something I never thought I'd actually do.

They're fine. Only about two-thirds the charm of High School Musical movie and the acting is all over the place. I appreciate the few who are really good, but they make the bad actors seem even worse. I like a few of the songs, which was the saving grace of HSM.

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #3883 on: November 17, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »
Thanks to the ease of Disney+, I've now seen Descendants and Descendants 2, which is something I never thought I'd actually do.

They're fine. Only about two-thirds the charm of High School Musical movie and the acting is all over the place. I appreciate the few who are really good, but they make the bad actors seem even worse. I like a few of the songs, which was the saving grace of HSM.

Me: "There's a sequel to the Alexander Payne movie? ???"
Google: Nah just crappy Disney movies.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3884 on: November 18, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
I was interested in those ones. Maybe I'll give them a spin.

EDIT: Camp Rock and Lemonade Mouth are the other ones to check out, 1SO.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3885 on: November 18, 2019, 09:44:07 PM »
Camp Rock is in Mrs. 1SO's Watchlist. Neither of us are interested in Lemonade Mouth... yet.

Watched Thor: The Dark World tonight. 2nd viewing. Better than its reputation, funnier than I remembered, though it gets bogged down right before the finale.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3886 on: November 19, 2019, 01:04:01 AM »
Me: "There's a sequel to the Alexander Payne movie? ???"

I'd watch that. It ends with Clooney having seven years to figure out how to keep that land. Could be a good story there. Clooney in the courtroom.

dusty bottoms

« Reply #3887 on: November 21, 2019, 03:48:08 AM »
'Ms. Purple' (2019)

What a great surprise. Really loved it - it might get comparisons with The Farewell, as they have similar themes - and I dare say this is the better of the two. The photography was excellent  (shades of Wong Kar Wai in some of the lighting and post effects) and superbly directed too. The film focuses on a struggling Korean family in modern day America. The two leads are superb (especially Tiffany Chu, as they develop their brother sister relationship under the stress of an unwell parent.)

I didn't realise it was directed by Justin Chon until after I watched it - so it's no surprise I liked it as much as I did, as I really enjoyed his 2017 film 'Gook'.

A very well done film.
"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3888 on: November 21, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »
Frozen II
★ ★

It seems I'm always the one breaking the ice on a new animated Disney/Pixar movie, and for every review I still stand by (Incredibles 2), there are many more where I come to appreciate them better over time, like Inside Out and Frozen. While I love the characters (Exhibit A, I strongly defend Olaf's Frozen Adventure, which is so much better than this), the story here is pretty terrible. It's the kind of sequel whose existence only enforces that there wasn't a 2nd major story to tell. There are a LOT of callbacks and direct shots/moments from the first film that show the sequel leaning on nostalgia instead of building on a foundation.

The songs here are all professionally crafted and sung, but don't flow naturally with the story, don't stick in the memory and are largely so steeped in a 90s power rock ballad aesthetic that you might think they were all written by Jon Bon Jovi decades ago. This is a deliberate visual choice for Kristoff's big number, but that is followed by two similar tunes that get needlessly dark and angsty. (The film in general is perhaps the least fun Disney film since The Black Cauldron.)

I'm glad I don't have to get into the story because I really don't want to explain how unnecessarily complicated it is. Things take forever to get going, often stalled by those unnatural song breaks, and I think the ending goes far away from what this film and the first set up. I'm just going to quote from Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian, because this is what I think too.

Itís nice to see these figures again, but I couldnít help feeling that there is something a bit underpowered and contrived about the storyline in Frozen II: a matter of jeopardy synthetically created and artificially resolved, obstacles set in place and then surmounted, characters separated and reunited, bad stuff apparently happening and then unhappening.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:51:36 PM by 1SO »

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #3889 on: November 22, 2019, 12:23:08 AM »

I think that Kong is misunderstood and he's just secretly angry at all the racism and sexism. I would still recommend this to people because the stop motion is great to watch even in 2019. I would just say to skip everything on the ship after the start and before they meet Kong.