love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 681656 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #3920 on: December 10, 2019, 05:36:55 AM »
Random review I wrote 10 years ago

Ulzhan (2007 Volker Schlöndorff)

A road movie, character play, a mysterious stranger in an unfamiliar land, Charles is a man on a mission. He arrives in Kazakhstan by car, but is soon heading east by foot. Despite, or is it because of, his mission he shows little care for anything, his passport, possessions, his life, those he meets. As with all road movies it is the journey that is important, and a key part of the journey is the people encountered. Ulzhan and Sha are Charles's 2 main encounters. Charles' journey is not an action packed one, nor is it serene. The fascination with this movie is what draws the characters together and scenes of Kazakhstan. Unfortunately what draws Ulzhan to Charles does not seem to have a discernible reason and this is a failing of the movie. Do not expect answers. The movie also dragged a little near the end, not long after some questions are answered. Maybe this is what holds your interest.

Why See It: You are interested in seeing the unexplained journey of a careless man.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #3921 on: December 11, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »
THE BODY REMEMBERS WHEN THE WORLD BROKE OPEN

It's best to go in with nothing. I would place my entire life savings that, if they see this film, it will end up being Oldkid's, Bondo's, and Sandy's favorite movie of the year and if not, very close. 10/10, boldest independent film of the year and last several years.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3922 on: December 11, 2019, 05:58:32 PM »
Added to my watchlist. Is it on a streaming service or available for rental?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3923 on: December 11, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »
It's on Netflix.

Your passion has me intrigued, but a very brief look at the type of film... Let's just say, I don't want to be the next one to comment and deflate the air just because I might have a more reserved appreciation.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #3924 on: December 11, 2019, 07:52:03 PM »
I don’t know if it’s your type of film, 1SO, but it is without a doubt worth watching. It is reminiscent of works by Cristian Mungiu, Chantal Aukerman, and Agnes Varda. The boldest filmmaking I have seen in years.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3925 on: December 11, 2019, 08:41:33 PM »
I Lost My Body (2019)

Manages to be both melancholy and extremely suspenseful. One of my favorite films of the year.

At first I was annoyed at its inchoate artiness. Then I was gripped by the severed hand suspense film. Then I was almost entirely over the film when its lead is revealed to be a creeper.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3926 on: December 12, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

There's maybe 90 minutes of good material here. The action scenes overstay their welcome and the higher-level politics add on a whole layer that honestly isn't needed to drive the plot forward. I found myself weary of watching this movie on many occasions. I remember liking the first two films a lot, but here the whole film feels over-indulgent and tedious.

Also, maybe this is just me becoming a buzzkill, but the way this series has fetishized guns bugs me in this one. The way people talk about and handle guns is disturbing. It's as if each cock of the hammer and pull of the trigger is part of some dark symphony of violence. So much of this film seems to be about how badass it can make the gunplay look and a lot of the action scenes bathe themselves in bullets. At least with something like The Matrix, the action scenes felt like they were about character beats or forwarding the plot. Here it just feels like the film stops to show off all its cool gunplay. It feels like a NRA wet fever dream. 

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3927 on: December 12, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »
I generally agree on the gun thing, which is why I like this one so much. Pretty much all of the best scenes are hand-to-hand (or knife, or book, or horse) and less gun-based.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3928 on: December 12, 2019, 11:55:18 AM »
Ford v Ferrari
★ ★ ★ - Good

In a year where some key films are very long with a deliberate pace, it's a nice change to see one that moves incredibly well even though it's 2.5 hours. It doesn't even feel rushed or dramatically truncated, and that's great editing to me. You might think, of course it feels fast, there's a lot of racing scenes in the film, but those scenes have a very limited amount of the type of flash you get in a Fast & Furious film. This is more like Howard Hawks, with great actors doing solid working playing people committed to their job. If you can be Howard Hawks good then you're doing it right.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3929 on: December 12, 2019, 12:26:36 PM »
The Hawks comparison is a good one, especially as it works not just technically but also thematically. No nonsense filmmaking combines with a group of men working together towards a goal and against interferers. Its a solid version of that story for sure.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love