Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 105244 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #4080 on: January 19, 2020, 05:48:27 AM »
If one wanted to be cynical, one could observe I liked the one centered on a woman more than the two centered on men.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4081 on: January 19, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »
Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (2002)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
Plans feel apart to where I had time today to watch something really long. So, I went into my ICM list and found this 9-hour title on 8 Official Lists. It's available to watch on YouTube in 4 parts. Done.

Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (9hrs 11min) - There isn't a single thing about this Documentary from China that interests me at the moment.
West of the Tracks is not your cup of tea.

I'm really just posting here to say 'I did it' before someone notices it on my monthly ICM ranking update and goes  ??? . It's actually a loosely-connected trilogy of documentaries, and the length was good for absorbing me into the time, place and culture. I don't have any profound insight and I'm not going to try and make a strong argument for watching it, but I liked it more than you might expect. Perhaps I was in the right mood and didn't know it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:12:26 AM by 1SO »
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

etdoesgood

« Reply #4082 on: January 19, 2020, 11:35:00 PM »
I just rewatched The Last Black Man in San Francisco, and it's officially broken my Top 10 of 2019. It's a lot better on the second time around, I've gained greater appreciate for the score and music in connection with the evocative imagery and the Fails and Majors performances. There are just certain movies where I feel every shot is purposeful and working toward a singular vision that I found so moving. Couldn't take my eyes away if I wanted to.

I watched Bicycle Thieves for the first time last night. Shot out to BlueVoid, as I watched Shoeshine for his 100 list, which I really liked, and it led me to checking out BT. I have my little blurb on Letterboxd (below, can someone help me with HTML, because I don't understand how to turn the text into a hyperlink, so spoiled by the ease on Google Docs), but its cinematography exceeded what I expected and gave an impressive view of Rome and its people, especially those of the working class. There are so many films that I love that I can see being partially descended from this, with its consideration of issues of the marginalized and its simple and elegant telling of their stories without excessive artifice. I actually think I'll get the Criterion Collection Blu-ray.

https://boxd.it/X4RmX
A desert person

Letterboxd: phxphilmphan

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4083 on: January 20, 2020, 12:31:39 AM »
There are just certain movies where I feel every shot is purposeful and working toward a singular vision that I found so moving. Couldn't take my eyes away if I wanted to.
Man, I wish this was my reaction. It started strong and then I quickly got this feeling they didn't know where they story was heading and just tied together the themes until they came up with an ending.

Black Sea (2014)
★ ★
It surely had a scene where they dive, taking the submarine into the red zone and everything starts creaking and leaking.
The good news is this may be the first submarine-centric movie I've seen that isn't military based. No torpedoes, no depth charges, no "I'm the Captain of this ship!" and no testing out how low they can go. It's a treasure hunt movie with a sub that creaks and leaks just below the surface. Unfortunately, the script didn't think it was enough adventure to make a straight heist film, so there's Ben Mendelsohn acting psycho and putting everyone in danger and a big reveal that's meant to be cool but is really just cynical. The two combined to make me no longer care what happens to the crew.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:52:49 AM by 1SO »

etdoesgood

« Reply #4084 on: January 20, 2020, 04:17:06 PM »
There are just certain movies where I feel every shot is purposeful and working toward a singular vision that I found so moving. Couldn't take my eyes away if I wanted to.
Man, I wish this was my reaction. It started strong and then I quickly got this feeling they didn't know where they story was heading and just tied together the themes until they came up with an ending.

Gonna black out a good portion here, as I flyby the last scenes of the film.

For my part, I think the progression from having the one-man show, to Jimmy's bus ride epiphany (can't hate it unless you love it), to Mont and Jimmy's reconciliation, to Jimmy's feeling of not belonging even at Mont's house as exhibited by him being crammed back on the couch with Mont and his grandfather, to the goodbye letter to Mont (which brings a tear to my eye), to Mont's search for himself, to finally Jimmy rowing to who knows where (a decent enough ending with more than a touch of ambiguity, wondering where else there actually is to go for him/people like him that survive without belonging) is a pretty strong sequence of final scenes. (I may have omitted one or two by mistake, but I don't remember anything wasted.) Maybe that's what you mean by tying up the themes, but I think it's a strong, effective, evocative typing up, and that a movie that doesn't have an easily defined story arc isn't necessarily going to provide perfect closure. Not that I'm saying your wrong in your take, just that that's how I see it.

I will say, your impression was more of mine the first time I watched it. It didn't move me like the second time, and I think that's because it was different than I had expected. I thought there was a more A-to-B-to-C plot revolving around the home, as opposed to everything simply crumbling around Jimmy.

I rewatched Your Name. Here's my Letterboxd blurb:
This is such a brilliant film. This story about time traveling and changing bodies could have been a tremendous mess, but it's about as cleanly done as you could imagine. Some pictures on time travel, I'm thinking of Primer and Interstellar, two films I nevertheless love, tie your brain in knots. This is no less complex, but is ten times as elegant.

After seeing Weathering With You, a distinction I can draw between the two, and what makes Your Name a better film, is the musical theme played throughout, holding the film together as a singular vision. The somber piano plays us through all the feelings of deja vu, the idea that something important, someone you love, is just on the other side of this feeling of amnesia, that some truth just bubbles beneath the surface. As in Weathering With You, Radwimps are the house band, but the soundtrack of Your Name is much more cohesive, which then makes for a more cohesive experience. The story also doesn't require a lot of exposition such as Weathering With You, and you learn what exactly is going on through the primary action of the film, as opposed to secondary investigations. (Though, like in my Weathering With You blurb, I'm being a little hard on it. Check that out to see how good I actually found the film.)

This is one of those films that raises this well of both melancholy and hope within me, in a good way. My day-to-day can be stressful, and I often go to sleep with a feeling of dread for the next day. It is of my condition. I need a good fairy tale every once in a while, a reason to believe this is all worth it. Your Name is all that and more.
A desert person

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #4085 on: January 20, 2020, 06:10:26 PM »
What Did Jack Do? (2020)

If this is anything to go by, 2020 is going to be a hell of a year. Lynch is a master of the absurd.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #4086 on: January 20, 2020, 08:37:50 PM »
What Did Jack Do? (2020)

If this is anything to go by, 2020 is going to be a hell of a year. Lynch is a master of the absurd.

Yeah, just watched this as well, very good, wish Lynch would do another feature length film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4087 on: January 20, 2020, 11:22:09 PM »
Three Identical Strangers
★ ★ ★ - Good

A strong example of the debate of a good story vs. a good documentary. The events unfold as a series of revelations, which makes the film one of the most compelling and entertaining of recent years. However, I kept getting the feeling that events were being shaped in the editing room by an author who already knew the full story instead of being taken on an investigation with side characters who deserve more, tougher questions and occasional dead ends.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #4088 on: January 21, 2020, 08:35:27 PM »
That film is 100% set up with an ending point in mind, and seems willing to completely look past the actual conclusions that one can draw from everything explored therein so that they can play to sentimentality rather than actively engage in the more complex ideas within so that the filmmakers can stand on some moral high ground and claim victory. That doc is repulsive.

etdoesgood

« Reply #4089 on: January 21, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »
I wrote about Okja yesterday, but not in a right frame of mind. Here's a paragraph from my Letterboxd ramble that I figured I'd share here:
There is something very E.T. about this film to me. A central human-nonhuman relationship. Child-nonhuman. The folly and overreach of man. The idealism of children vs. the pragmatism of adults. Indifference and cruelty toward the suffering of the other. Organizing a resistance, albeit in pretty different ways. Both criticize corporate America, though it's much more subtle in E.T. than Okja. Okja is less family friendly than E.T., but I think middle school and up would be OK, maybe a bit younger for an intrepid 10 or 11 year old. Common Sense Media says it's not for kids, which just makes me want to have a kid to show them Okja. Anyway, I think Okja is the most E.T. film since E.T. back in '82. Can't believe nothing of that ilk has really been done and done well since. Unless I'm forgetting something. Tell me if I'm forgetting something.

Really, tell me if I'm forgetting something. Maybe you can add something to my watch list.

Huge Okja fan. It's by far Bong's most underrated. Was my #2 of 2017, which is really the first year I saw enough new releases to justify making a top ten list.
A desert person