Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684134 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #5110 on: October 01, 2020, 05:46:14 AM »
I wrote a very short thing on Paddington but nothing on Paddington 2. I gave them both C grades.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5111 on: October 01, 2020, 08:00:47 AM »
Co-sign.

This was the film that sent me down the rabbit hole of why Netflix movies look like TV shows. How it isn't just the lighting, but the way things are framed and locations are selected to be more TV friendly and less cinematic. I also saw a video defending the film because the director is talented and usually more visual. (It was like watching someone defend Birds of Prey. I see it in the shots they select, but not once in the film I experienced.)

I feel like you'd have too look pretty hard to identify a stand out element in this movie. It feels as much like an assembly line production as anything else Netflix cranks out in the genre. ARQ, Spectral, Extinction, Anon, Mute.... in scome cases they grab up a director with some genre cred (Andrew Niccol, Duncan Jones), in other cases they don't (Nic Mathieu, Tony Elliot, Ben Young). The results are all about the same as far as I'm concerned. Serviceable but unremarkable films based on a premise which sounds interesting.

Listening to the writer and director's interview with Jeff Goldsmith I didn't get the impression that there was much passion for the premise... the interview is dominated with addressing both on screen and off screen gender/sexual/racial issues related to the production. The director's fight to become a recognized as someone capable of helming an action film for instance. A story which is hardly going to break down any walls... since she basically just works her way through the corporate hierarchy the way I imagine anyone might, directing some low-level Marvel tv content as a proving ground for this. Also, a diversity of directors/actors/stories is a deliberate corporate strategy by Netflix, so the door was not exactly being held shut. Bird Box, hello? One of their biggest ever hits.

Short of the few exceptions (Roma, The Irishman) it's not like most people are paying attention to (and Netflix isn't bothering to market) the directors of their films anyways. I don't get the feeling that Netflix really cares weather or not people are aware of how inclusive they are being. As far as I can tell their actions are genuine (still profit driven mind you), but more than just a stunt to get patted on the back for being woke.

I don't think Netflix cares a whole lot about action pedigree for directing an action film. They want something adequate. They want something that looks like what people are accustomed to seeing, which you can find in hundreds of tv shows and films. I don't think it's that hard to come by or to achieve so it's not something they worry about.

dusty bottoms

« Reply #5112 on: October 02, 2020, 06:57:07 AM »
Le Bonheur (1965)
Dir.: Agnes Varda

★★★★
"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5113 on: October 02, 2020, 10:19:07 PM »
The movie reviews itself!

(Perfect.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5114 on: October 03, 2020, 08:06:11 PM »
Girl Walk // All Day

All I want to do is dance now. I'm freakin' out. This is the greatest thing ever.
^^^
My Review
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5115 on: October 03, 2020, 08:26:52 PM »
Yes! It's so great. Glad you enjoyed it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5116 on: October 03, 2020, 08:44:37 PM »
So glad you liked it!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5117 on: October 03, 2020, 11:00:15 PM »

^^^
My Reply

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5118 on: October 04, 2020, 02:22:03 AM »
Don't know if anyone has a favorite mashup from All Day/ Girl Walk // All Day, but when it flipped from the M.O.P. Ante Up beat to the Ante Up rapping over Party in the U.S.A., I was pretty hype. I've heard every Girl Talk album except All Day, so yeah, awesome surprise. Also, ODB Shimmy Shimmy Ya over Creep. And I don't even like Creep. I also realized during the film how many pop hits I know but don't know...like they're familiar, but I have no idea who sings them. That's a typical feeling listening to Girl Talk, though, at least for me.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5119 on: October 05, 2020, 08:29:32 PM »
House of Hummingbird
A sensitive, wrenching, and overall hopeful portrait of an early teen finding her way in '94 Seoul. Eun-hee finds and loses love, rebels, suffers abuse, witnesses abuse, confronts the nature of friendship, and finds someone she can ultimately depend on. At the emotional core is the cruelty and senseless of life, centered on the collapse of the Seongsu Bridge (not a spoiler as it's in the one-sentence summary on Rotten Tomatoes). This is definitely in landscape-as-a-character territory as in one of the most recent Filmspotting episodes. It's also one of the better films of the year.

Dick Johnson is Dead
Lots of hype, at least in what I've been reading. It's good, heartfelt stuff, though it also made me feel incredibly sad because I have a dad who lives with me who I don't want to see deteriorate and die, like, ever. But my personal opinion doesn't go into my opinion of the film all that much. There are a lot of tears and sadness here, and maybe I'm just an insensitive bastard, but I've seen enough of this type of mourning for a life. I will see a ton more for my family members, and I don't need more from the families of others, to be honest. I do see the value in some of her stunts, basically faking possible gruesome fates her father could meet, as part of the process of preparing for his inevitable death, and there are some dance pieces that are celebratory and pretty. There is good cinema going on here. I just don't see it as particularly revelatory when it comes to loss and grief. I also question the value of putting her father and the others around here through this charade, especially as I question the possibility of her father actually consenting to it. A good watch, though, but nothing beyond that.