Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684379 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #5260 on: November 19, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
Hadn't ever heard of it, but I've added it to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5261 on: November 19, 2020, 02:05:33 PM »
I’ve had that on my Hulu list for a while.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5262 on: November 20, 2020, 08:52:45 PM »
Since FLY was globetrotting during its release, I imagine I missed the boat on The Trial Of The Chicago 7 chatter around here. As with most Sorkin stuff, I found it to be compelling in the way that he does seem to have a great handle on making people talk, even when indulging in all the things that make Sorkin Sorkin. Very interesting that Sacha Baron Cohen has gotten so much exposure for his role here, which I found to be a bit at odds with a lot of what else was going on, though I suppose that's why it stands out and because we can sort of recognize him/know he's acting/the character is meant to stand out. And he does get The Scene in the film, so maybe it makes sense, but it still very much felt like him doing an impression, which also adds up when putting him besides Langella, who literally won an Oscar for a performance that was just an impression. As it were, Rylance is where I was most drawn, and Redmayne as well, someone I've been more spotty on in the past outside of that magnificent turn in Jupiter Ascending. Not that those performances are subtle or anything like that, but they felt more in line with the tone of the film.

Do wonder how people feel about the editing, as it is equally showy, though I don't think that makes it entirely ineffective, especially as a means of breaking up the court scenes or setting the stage in the opening. Though in The Scene with SBC it does this fade to black that makes it feel (fittingly for something on Netflix?) like a tv courtroom drama. The score also is largely inexcusable for me, and something that serves to push me away from the film. But suppose that it does come down to the drama of it all, and how that is done effectively, that has me willing to overlook the aspects that would typically have me coming down on it harder.

Some other thoughts that don't fit anywhere, but real strange to have Strong just play a variation of his character in Season 2 of Succession except a hippie version of that. Also, most of the film I thought that Alex Sharp was Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

Not saying this film is great, or maybe even good, but squarely watchable in a way that I did not entirely expect.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5263 on: November 20, 2020, 09:36:35 PM »
Not saying this film is great, or maybe even good, but squarely watchable in a way that I did not entirely expect.

I'm guessing this equates to a 1.5 on Letterboxd.

Time to go check.

Update: Where's your Letterboxd rating?!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5264 on: November 20, 2020, 09:46:28 PM »

I'm guessing this equates to a 1.5 on Letterboxd.

Time to go check.

Update: Where's your Letterboxd rating?!

The rare film where I punched up my thoughts here first, but it will almost certainly get a 1.5. I've also been lax with immediately logging things on Letterboxd as I try to let them sit a little overnight now, though suppose that's a bit spotty too and likely all depends on my mood any given day.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5265 on: November 20, 2020, 09:52:31 PM »
The rare film where I punched up my thoughts here first, but it will almost certainly get a 1.5.

I'm starting to get it. You don't hate movies, 1.5 is just not a bad rating. It's like you're grading them out of 2.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5266 on: November 20, 2020, 09:56:42 PM »
I like to think of a 1.5 as a 2.5 if I was grading on a curve, which puts it right in the middle. Nothing wrong with most things being average. Also, numbers are meaningless.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5267 on: November 20, 2020, 10:19:28 PM »
I like to think of a 1.5 as a 2.5 if I was grading on a curve, which puts it right in the middle. Nothing wrong with most things being average. Also, numbers are meaningless.

Grading on a curve relative to what? Bondo is way better at explaining statistics in written words than I am, but that would involve distribution of ratings where the mode > 2.5. If you're saying most things are average, there would be a bell curve distribution, so grading on a curve is not possible, or rather, a 2.5 would be a 2.5 (if you're going 0-5 instead of 1-5). Not that I disagree with the system, I think everyone has their own, but I'd say yours is the hardest to understand, though I'm getting there. I called the 1.5! Just, most people give 1.5 to movies that they kind of hate.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5268 on: November 21, 2020, 05:29:17 AM »
It’s a hard curve.

Good number of 2.5s and 3s out of pff this year.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5269 on: November 21, 2020, 05:40:15 AM »
Feel like things only get wrong if most things aren't average. Pretty proud that both my movie ratings on Letterboxd and my beer ratings on Untapped largely have normal (bell) distributions. Maybe not centered exactly on the middle of the rating spectrum but in any event having a smooth decline from the peak toward the ends.

Anyway, I suppose a curve can either be you'd rank 50 movies or something and just assign ratings such that a normal curve is achieved, and/or you fix an ideal average in advance and adjust from there. In that way you correct for being an overly generous or overly harsh rater. But the thing about a normal curve is it is named that because most things naturally fit that sort of pattern. A lot in the middle and few further away. I'm not gonna tell someone whose curve is distorted toward liking things to like things less but if your curve is distorted to disliking things, one might want to ask a few questions of their choices.

Also, most of the film I thought that Alex Sharp was Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

I did this as well.