Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 676202 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #6960 on: November 27, 2023, 09:39:05 PM »
I thought The Killer was subversive, but wondered if that was just my reading into it and coming up with something that doesn't exist. The various podcasts made me realize it wasn't just me. There's a great comment on Blank Check, they say The Killer is Fincher's nightmare of only having one take to get it perfect.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6961 on: November 28, 2023, 05:03:36 AM »
This partly is a problem of watching a movie in the wrong frame of mind.  I was never quite bored but nor did it pull me in that I was trying to work out a take on it but partly that may have been my frame of mind.  Being the first movie to watch together after 4 months with my wife, we also were doing it over a bottle of wine that we opened for dinner.  All the takes I have heard made it a far more interesting moving than the one I watched, which is not a fault of the film.  But I don’t think I will revisit anytime soon
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6962 on: November 29, 2023, 11:02:07 PM »
Did anyone here see the 2022 Belgian film Close? It was Oscar nominated last year for International Feature, Grand Prize winner at Cannes, A24 gave it a release in Jan. 2023. Because of the title, it's impossible to look up if anyone here responded to it. Seems like Bondo would've watched it at least. I went in knowing nothing, and some of it is Very, Very Good. One aspect I think got too much time, but still liked it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6963 on: November 30, 2023, 05:22:56 AM »
Yeah, I saw it and liked it a lot. Pretty effective depiction of teenage development of status consciousness and its harms.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6964 on: December 02, 2023, 02:37:23 PM »
Beau Is Afraid

Has a film (not made by Godard) ever been this far up its own ass? I kept pushing on thinking it might improve but alas, if anything it kept getting worse. Ari Aster, director of one of the top 10-20 films of the past decade, managed the incredible feat of making a film worse than Hereditary.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6965 on: December 02, 2023, 10:59:44 PM »
The first section is great, but then he loses the plot and the final image is an all too apt image of someone hopelessly adrift.

But I loved the way the opening section piles on anxieties in a comic way.

You Hurt My Feelings
Are You There God? It's Me Margaret.
★ ★ ★ - Good

I've given this rating to 9 of the last 12 movies I watched. The only film I didn't like was the thoroughly unbelievable Luther: The Fallen Sun.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #6966 on: December 03, 2023, 10:18:53 PM »
I forgot about the Margaret movie. I didn't actually read the book as a youth, so don't have a real connection to it. Still a three is pretty solid, so may check it out.

I just watched The Holly and the Ivy (1952) and don't really have a review for it. The ages of the actors looked so skewed, I got caught up in trying to figure out how old they really were. Celia Johnson was in her mid 40's playing a 31 year old. Ralph Richardson was only a few years older than her, but played her father. Had I not gotten so distracted, I might have been more invested in the story of a family hashing out a lifetime of disfunction.

Anyone have a review of this?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6967 on: December 04, 2023, 01:12:22 PM »
I have not seen it.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6968 on: December 04, 2023, 10:53:17 PM »
Finding a moving 1SO not watched could go in the movie games section
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6969 on: December 05, 2023, 02:42:58 PM »
If you win he must watch it. If you lose you must watch it. ;)