love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684053 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched (Thread restarted in January 2017)
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 11:14:34 PM »
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

Remember when Shaun of the Dead came out? For me, and I imagine for a few of you, it was seemingly out of nowhere. And yet how sharp was it? Line and after line was landing just boom boom boom.... it was like who the CINECAST! just walked up to the plate, and two seconds later they're crushing balls? Perfect comedic cuts, perfect comedic camera moves, perfect comedic music... whoever it was obviously had a great sense of how to combine humour and film. They just seemed to know what to do at every turn.

I felt all the same things watching Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Early on I thought "this is really good... is it going to last?" Last hell! It got better! It crosses the finish line with gas left in the tank! Pretty rare for a comedy. I'll be recommending this to everyone I know.

Watch it tonight and smile! Filmspots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2017, 12:20:36 AM »
It's really great. :)  (I didn't expect that gut-punch early on though. Loved Bella so much. )

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »
It's really great. :)  (I didn't expect that gut-punch early on though. Loved Bella so much. )

Me either! What a great character. So short a time on screen, but so memorable! Did you watch it with the fam? Was it a crowd pleaser? :)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2017, 04:54:34 AM »
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

Did you watch What We Do in the Shadows ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2017, 06:53:53 AM »
I also thought of Edgar Wright when watching Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Taika Waititi is quickly becoming one of my favorite comedy directors.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »

Me either! What a great character. So short a time on screen, but so memorable! Did you watch it with the fam? Was it a crowd pleaser? :)
Yep, movie with the fam, excluding the youngest, who is 7. A hit with everyone! :)

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »
Continuing the "a week in Paris, get to see old movies on a big screen" theme...

Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)

To think that, just a month ago or so, I had seen no Bergman films. This is my 8th, and he keeps surprising me. The first five minutes are like his remake of Un chien andalou, and nothing in those 7 other films had prepared me for that... I'm not entirely sure about the actual content of it (aside from the boy grasping at the woman's picture), but it certainly sets a tone. Liv Ullmann is the name I previously associated the most with Bergman, and she's great here but Bibi Andersson is at least as important, I wonder why she seems to get the short shrift. Anyway, this is a great, great film. It reminds me a lot of Solyaris in that I don't think I "get it", but I'm so fascinated that it doesn't matter. I do have a theory (Bibi Andersson doesn't exist / Liv Ullman is suffering from schizophrenia), which I'm sure is nothing new or original, but I like it.

Regardless of thematic interpretation, this seems like Bergman's most visually impressive film. He still uses dialogue to bluntly adress his themes (in a very play-like manner here, which is of course appropriate given Ullman's character), but a lot is communicated visually. The shot of the mixed face has to be one of the best shots in cinema history, and I'm still reeling from that... whatever that was, you know what I'm talking about right ? After Ullman steps on the glass and Bunuel comes back behind Bergman's camera for a minute or so. The film doesn't shift as much as I expected it to after that, but the way you watch it definitely does.

9/10

Der letzte Mann (F.W. Murnau, 1924)

It's pretty rare for me to get very emotionally invested in a film. I often care about the characters and their fates, and I'm often deeply immersed in the film, but I rarely tear up for example. This just hit me in the right spot. Emil Jannings, as an aging doorman, is displaying Chaplin-level of pathos here, to the points that I've rarely felt so deeply for a character. The epilogue is simply glorious, the most heartwarming punch in the gut I've ever seen.

I'm also left wondering why Sunrise gets talked up so much when this is right there. Three years before, too ! It's just as creative and bold visually (the fantasy sequence in the middle particularly), and the camera moves are even more seemingly ahead of their time here. It also only has two title cards, and none of them are really about plot... I'm just so impressed with this film.

The score was a very modern-sounding one, playing up the inherent other-worldliness of any silent film. It's a great score, very eerie and it elevates the simple, focused narrative to make it seem almost epic and grand, but it might have hampered the film's more comedic moments.

9/10

2017 discoveries list already in good shape.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
Der letzte Mann (F.W. Murnau, 1924)[/b]

It's pretty rare for me to get very emotionally invested in a film. I often care about the characters and their fates, and I'm often deeply immersed in the film, but I rarely tear up for example. This just hit me in the right spot. Emil Jannings, as an aging doorman, is displaying Chaplin-level of pathos here, to the points that I've rarely felt so deeply for a character. The epilogue is simply glorious, the most heartwarming punch in the gut I've ever seen.
Jannings is a force of nature. His acting in The Blue Angel and The Last Command got me just as emotionally invested.

I'm also left wondering why Sunrise gets talked up so much when this is right there. Three years before, too ! It's just as creative and bold visually (the fantasy sequence in the middle particularly), and the camera moves are even more seemingly ahead of their time here.
Sunrise and Last Laugh are both in my Top 100, equally deserving of such high praise.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 11:46:58 PM »
Did you watch What We Do in the Shadows ?

I let that one slip by for some reason, even thought it looked good. Now I see the director connection and I'm keen to catch up with it!

I also thought of Edgar Wright when watching Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Ah great to hear that!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2017, 04:45:04 AM »
Continuing the "a week in Paris, get to see old movies on a big screen" theme...

Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)

9/10

Der letzte Mann (F.W. Murnau, 1924)

9/10

2017 discoveries list already in good shape.

You lucky bastard.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love