love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684104 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »
I agree with the comparison, but for me it works just as well as H8ful did: a lot. Silence certainly isn't as fun, so there's that.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2017, 11:32:53 PM »
If I hate Scorsese when he bros out (Goodfellas, Wolf of Wall Street), will I hate Silence?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »
No, you'll hate it for different reasons. The relationship between Andrew Garfield and God would've been improved by some bro-ing out.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2017, 11:41:21 PM »
Lol, I was gonna say the same thing, pix. I'm not sure you'll have a bondo of a time. Or it'll be the most bondo of a time you'll ever have.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2017, 11:47:36 PM »
Was about to reply the same. Between your reasons for not liking Kurosawa and your reasons for not liking Bergman, this is simply not a movie for you.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2017, 12:21:59 AM »
It's settled then.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2017, 12:24:02 AM »
You know what movie I watched today that might very well be for you, Bondo?

Smooth Talk (1985)
I don't think I've seen a film with such an obvious female perspective in a long time. It's 90 minutes of Laura Dern being an aimlesss teenager and coming of age during a listless summer, and it does really well at keeping everything small while still evoking that feeling of importance that such things have when you're a teenager. That balance and Dern's performance make the film because it never feels slight even when it's just teenage girls giggling at the mall, nor does it feel heavy even when she's fighting with her mother. It's just some time in a girls life with ups and downs, with mostly normal and a couple of strange moments, and throughout it all we can see things clearly from her point view. Not just because she's the lead, but because everything is framed in a way to evoke a connection with her character.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2017, 12:34:15 AM »
Noted and queued.

corey.atad

« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2017, 12:42:33 AM »
got a little nostalgic tonight. thought i'd post in here.

Silence

difficult for me to fully express the beauty found in this film, one which asks its audience to reflect upon the nature of belief and the conviction required for that belief to be sustained in a universe where one can only really hear oneself. to find some kind of peace inside when outside all suffering begs you to abandon the notion. it's a testament (yes) to the complexity in standing for a universal truth when that truth is provable only by one's personal adherence. how do we abide by the truths we set for ourselves in an unjust world that tests constantly our patience and our strength even more? it occurs to me that Scorsese has been exploring this dynamic between personal values and societal pressures his entire career. i'm not sure he has ever so purely synthesized idea. Endo's novel provided him a perfect outlet for that exploration, and for crafting a new masterpiece. i haven't been so totally moved by a film since perhaps Inside Llewyn Davis, or perhaps The Master or Stories We Tell before that.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2017, 12:43:47 AM »
I'm in a lot of agreement with you. I'm glad people are seeing it now. It's a glorious movie.

love