love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684450 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #290 on: January 23, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »
That is... not a lot. I thought there were more lurkers around here.

Historically, most voters wait until the final day before voting.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #291 on: January 23, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »
That is... not a lot. I thought there were more lurkers around here.

Historically, most voters wait until the final day before voting.

pixote

Just...ten more minutes.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #292 on: January 23, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
I'll send you a ballot tonight, but it will be mostly empty. Haven't gotten around to most of the best films.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #293 on: January 23, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
I usually wait to vote on the final nominees, because it's easier, and I'm lazy. But that short list of nominators has inspired me.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #294 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »
I think this gets at the heart of the strong disagreement about Everybody Wants Some!! -- the attitude toward and approach to the girls.   For many, myself included, this approach to dating and sex is just wrong.  It is not respectful, for although on the surface it seems to give the women some honor or fun, since the focus is just about the end game, so to speak, then it is objectifying the women and all that they do is ultimately for their own selfish purpose.

Others see nothing wrong with the approach.  It is certainly common, and there are women who don't have problems with being approached this way and seeing the sexuality as something they appreciate and join in willingly. 

And this can make the difference between seeing the film as an enjoyable romp or remaining uncomfortable throughout the whole run.

But see, you're looking at it wrong from the second sentence. This has nothing to do with dating. Only the main character's relationship with the theatre girl is an instance of dating. These are guys who are only looking for sex and getting it from the girls who equally want sex. The latter are either equally looking for it or at the least willing.

You mean I'm not looking at it from your narrow point of view instead of my narrow point of view.  I acknowledge what you say, but that doesn't make any difference from my perspective.  The attitudes are still disgusting, from how I see it. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #295 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:43 PM »
I wonder what the response would be to a movie about women going out to find men to have sex with in the same place and time would be like (and what the reaction would be). You could probably make it with all the same actors playing all the same characters. Would this be objectifying the men? Would we care?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #296 on: January 23, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »
I wonder what the response would be to a movie about women going out to find men to have sex with in the same place and time would be like (and what the reaction would be). You could probably make it with all the same actors playing all the same characters. Would this be objectifying the men? Would we care?

We wouldn't. That's part of my point and it's one of the problems of the double standard. If women go out to find men to have sex with it's empowering but when men do it it becomes sordid and entitled? Surely both sexes should be allowed to search for mates in healthy ways without being judged?

I wasn't looking at things from one point of view as oldkid suggests, I was looking at it from the point of view of what the characters were looking for. I don't even know why you would insert dating into the conversation.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #297 on: January 23, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
I'd like to see at least another twenty-four come in by the deadline. Is that possible? We'll see.

sent!

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #298 on: January 23, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »

We wouldn't. That's part of my point and it's one of the problems of the double standard. If women go out to find men to have sex with it's empowering but when men do it it becomes sordid and entitled? Surely both sexes should be allowed to search for mates in healthy ways without being judged?
Who is we? Some wouldn't but others would. Sex and the City has many detractors as well as fans. Some people are surely offended because it's guys acting that way and would see it as empowering if it were women, and vice versa too some people surely dislike S&S simply because it's women, but some people just don't think anyone should act that way. Of course there are other variables in play like age, and setting and specific actions, and the quality of the script and characterizations, etc.

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't judge how the film works or where I would land on it, but I suspect I would agree with oldkid and probably would not feel any different if the genders were switched.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #299 on: January 23, 2017, 02:02:19 PM »

I wasn't looking at things from one point of view as oldkid suggests, I was looking at it from the point of view of what the characters were looking for. I don't even know why you would insert dating into the conversation.

Because I consider one-night stands a form of dating.

I believe that you are looking at the point of view of the characters.  But the film didn't get me to the place that I can identify with the characters.  I see them from a distance and think, "They're amusing, but I think the way they see women is awful."  And that's where I stayed.

If women did the same thing, I'd have the same attitude.  Repugnant, unfortunate, and on top of it, they are putting themselves in possible jeopardy.  No double standard.  I think that objectifying the other sex is a poor way to live. 

And I'm not judging them morally. Well, I suppose I am about the objectification bit, but I don't have issues with their sexual actions.  It's all above board and I know this is how some people live.  I find it emotionally offensive.  I wouldn't go to them and tell them to stop, because it's their choice.  But I cannot appreciate people who do this kind of thing.  Never could, from high school on.  I think it's a personality difference.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love