Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684043 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
We is anybody, and yeah, it's freaking complicated. Every little factor changes the way you feel about a situation. For me, the factors lined up on the positive side, but for others it was the negative. I don't think they're being prudes and I hope they don't think I'm a sexist because of it. Just different ways of thinking about situations and art and stuff.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »
Yep, I agree, Junior.  Not a difficulty that some people got a positive vibe from the movie and others didn't.  Just different points of view.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »
I'd like to see at least another twenty-four come in by the deadline. Is that possible? We'll see.

sent!

mine too!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
And I'm not judging them morally. Well, I suppose I am about the objectification bit, but I don't have issues with their sexual actions.  It's all above board and I know this is how some people live.  I find it emotionally offensive.  I wouldn't go to them and tell them to stop, because it's their choice.  But I cannot appreciate people who do this kind of thing.  Never could, from high school on.  I think it's a personality difference.

So are you saying that you disapprove of one night stands as a rule?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2017, 04:30:06 PM »
You all got me wanting to me want to watch this now
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2017, 04:45:17 PM »
Toni Erdmann

Well, here's the old question of movie moments vs a whole thing you can really get behind. I'm not sure this movie worked for me. It's too darn long for what it is doing. You can see it in the opening shot, which might have started at a delivery guy ringing a doorbell but is instead about a minute longer because we have to hear the car pulling up and then the guy opening and closing his car door, and then opening the sliding door on the car to get the package, and then walking up to the door and then ringing the bell. Maybe it's supposed to get the audience to identify with the delivery guy so that we start seeing how strange but also funny the "Erdmann" character is from the point of view of his own audience, which will then transfer onto the daughter when she joins in. But still, there's a ten second version of that which would have the same effect. Much of the rest of the film follows this kind of boring maximalist thing which diminishes much of my enjoyment/engagement with it. But then the same principle is applied to these two big scenes towards the end and it's freaking fantastic. I wasn't so turned off from the rest of the film that I couldn't get what feels like all I was supposed to get from these two scenes and I found myself laughing and being moved simultaneously, not a super easy thing to achieve. I'm not sure I would watch this whole thing again, but I do think my time was worth it to get to some of the best scenes of the year. Maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite.

B
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #306 on: January 23, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
That is... not a lot. I thought there were more lurkers around here.

Historically, most voters wait until the final day before voting.

pixote

Your inbox right now I hope

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #307 on: January 23, 2017, 05:31:15 PM »
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #308 on: January 23, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
Florence Foster Jenkins (2016)

We'll give this the "I don't know what I was expecting" award. I knew it was about a bad singer, so I suppose I can't be surprised that it has a lot of bad singing. I can't speak to the film's quality, I can only speak to my inability to keep watching the film. I have sensitive hearing and anyone who has sat next to me during any type of band or singing performance of less than professional quality can see it written across my face as I have a bad poker face where off-pitch singing is concerned, basically feeling physical pain. So yeah, this exceeded my threshold.

P.S. Meryl Streep's overratedness is the one thing I agree with Trump on. She's been doing almost exclusively offputtingly big, mannered performances for at least a decade. I don't understand the groupthink or nostalgia that keeps getting her nominations for stuff.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #309 on: January 23, 2017, 10:05:46 PM »
I watched In the Loop again tonight. 2nd viewing, liked it more this time.

My reasons for posting:

1. Yes, it does play different in the Trump era. The biggest echo being an indirect one, the small Steve Coogan subplot about the need to fix the wall that's crumbling into his yard. A lot of that dialogue taken out of its context can be applied to Trump's wall.

2. My favorite line is one I've found no mention of on the Boards. Had to pause the stream because the wife and I were laughing so hard. James Gandolfini discussing troop numbers needed for a war.
"At the end of a war you need some soldiers left, really, or else it looks like you lost."