love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684427 times)

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #310 on: January 23, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »
Florence Foster Jenkins (2016)

We'll give this the "I don't know what I was expecting" award. I knew it was about a bad singer, so I suppose I can't be surprised that it has a lot of bad singing. I can't speak to the film's quality, I can only speak to my inability to keep watching the film.

Not sure whether it has been reviewed much hereabouts, but the film Marguerite, a fictionalized French take on the Florence Foster Jenkins saga, is pretty good, though the singing is just as terrible. (I see the lead performance was cited among the Filmspot nominations.) Marguerite is currently available for streaming on Netflix.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #311 on: January 23, 2017, 11:24:24 PM »
Is the movie faithful and honest about how Linklater and his friends actually behaved way back when? No idea.
I think he has almost surely erased all the gay slurs that they would have been using.

By the way, I didn't find the movie offensive. I had other reasons for not liking it.  :)

There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #312 on: January 23, 2017, 11:30:08 PM »
By the way, I didn't find the movie offensive. I had other reasons for not liking it.  :)

matt couldn't help but picture Ethan Hawke lurking somewhere just off screen the whole movie, telling some girl about an interesting article he'd just read.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2017, 11:36:16 PM »
I do at least I little resent how respectable he's made Ethan Hawke.  8)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #314 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:58 AM »
Florence Foster Jenkins (2016)

We'll give this the "I don't know what I was expecting" award. I knew it was about a bad singer, so I suppose I can't be surprised that it has a lot of bad singing. I can't speak to the film's quality, I can only speak to my inability to keep watching the film.

Not sure whether it has been reviewed much hereabouts, but the film Marguerite, a fictionalized French take on the Florence Foster Jenkins saga, is pretty good, though the singing is just as terrible. (I see the lead performance was cited among the Filmspot nominations.) Marguerite is currently available for streaming on Netflix.

It is very good, about a thousand times better than FFJ... but probably not for Bondo, because it has more of the awful singing.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #315 on: January 24, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
I do at least I little resent how respectable he's made Ethan Hawke.  8)

Are we supposed to hate Ethan Hawke? What has he done?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »
You all got me wanting to me want to watch this now

Next time I want to promote a movie I know what to do now. Start a conversation about alpha male culture and profanity and at least two people will watch it.

(I am looking at you Sandy.)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
Mustang  (Deniz Gamze Ergüven, 2015)

I can only hope that a few years down the road, Ergüven follows up this Turkish Virgin Suicides with a Turkish Hunger Games and casts Sensoy as the lead.

pixote

I will pay to watch that if she plays the same character going back to the village armed with a rifle and explosives.

Good review.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #318 on: January 24, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
Next time I want to promote a movie I know what to do now. Start a conversation about alpha male culture and profanity and at least two people will watch it.

(I am looking at you Sandy.)

I'll pass on the alpha male culture, but when flirty banter is mentioned in a post, it catches my attention. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #319 on: January 25, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »
Florence Foster Jenkins

Vainglorious or whistling in the dark? It's a triumphant and frightful thing to see how Mrs. Jenkins has chosen to navigate her way through her mortal sojourn. I manage to shout bravo!, mid wince, for who am I to judge? Where am I half as confident and undeterred? Willing to make a fool of oneself in the pursuit of a burning passion, is to be commended. Her husband comprehends and her accompanist learns to. So can I.

A word about Streep. Not only is it nigh to impossible to sing pitch perfectly off key, it's also a feat of skill to play a person who is delusional for survival sake, who continually steers her psyche into a new day of her own reality. And then to watch it crumble and tenuously be brought back is something to behold. Streep is as good as she is purported to be. There is no overrating possible in this performance. She is a thespian treasure.

pixote, is it far too late to adjust my nomination ballot? Simon Helberg would get my nod too and surprisingly, Hugh Grant as well.

How interesting these were made so close together. I can't imagine that Florence Foster Jenkins was made because of Marguerite, since there just isn't that much time between the two.

love