Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684286 times)

MattDrufke

Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #510 on: February 18, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »
Plus, the ending is so great. SO GREAT. It's something I mentioned in my review. Funny and well-thought out way to resolve the final conflict. My favorite ending to a Marvel film.
@ihatemattdrufke

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #511 on: February 18, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
Doctor Strange is my favorite Marvel flick. I get that some people didn't like that it's another origin story, but it had so much life and vitality in the writing, acting and cinematography that it felt like a comic book movie instead of another gritty thriller that just happens to have people with superhuman powers.

smooth

« Reply #512 on: February 19, 2017, 02:13:13 AM »
Five Easy Pieces (1970) Jack Nicholson stars as Robert Dupea, a former concert pianist who now leads a dull life as an oil worker living the same daily routine. Just when he can't handle it any longer, he gets a call from his sister that his father is gravely ill, and he sets out on a road trip with his girlfriend Rayette (played by Karen Black) to Washington State to reunite with the family and life he left behind.

Brilliant film all round. Many memorable scenes especially on the road trip home, his scenes with his father I could relate a lot to those scenes, and the ending which is powerful. Brought back some good and bad memories from my own life. One of Nicholson's more quieter, multilayered, and underrated roles.

9/10

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #513 on: February 19, 2017, 05:24:16 AM »
One of Nicholson's more quieter, multilayered, and underrated roles.

9/10

Don't know if I'd go with quiet, but an amazing portrayal of angst and repression, occasionally manifesting in outrageous outbursts.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

MattDrufke

« Reply #514 on: February 19, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »
Trolls (2016)
Dir: Mike Mitchell, Walt Dohrn

Well, at least this isn't the worst animated film of 2016 (Suck it, Angry Birds!). But man, is this film bad. And so many other words people shouldn't associate with movies: Pointless. Confusing. Sloppy.

And just looking at this movie from a distance, it would appear to show potential. There's a great voice cast, Justin Timberlake is the executive music producer, and it's made by DreamWorks, who usually makes animated films I really enjoy. But there's just nothing going on here. The story isn't interesting or engaging (or particularly well-thought out), the jokes fall flat, the soundtrack is a mess (not even Justin Timberlake's fantastic, "Can't Stop The Feeling" (which is used horribly here) can save this messy hodgepodge or original numbers and pop songs slathered together to make... I dunno. I just don't know.

Ugh.

D
@ihatemattdrufke

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #515 on: February 19, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
Damn, I had some hopes...
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MattDrufke

« Reply #516 on: February 19, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »
Me, too. I was super disappointed.

Not that it matters, but it would've been a much more fair "Best Animated" Oscar category if Trolls was off and Storks, a film that surprised me with some genuinely funny moments, was on.
@ihatemattdrufke

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #517 on: February 19, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
Me, too. I was super disappointed.

Not that it matters, but it would've been a much more fair "Best Animated" Oscar category if Trolls was off and Storks, a film that surprised me with some genuinely funny moments, was on.
It wasn't nominated for "Best Animated" Oscar, though, only for best song.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »
Inferno (2016)

I'll admit that I'm an apologist for Dan Brown and, to a lesser extent, the Ron Howard/Tom Hanks adaptations thereof. I guess the main knock on the novels is the quality of the writing, but I think that kind of misses the point. They are page-turning humanities classes rather than literature. Each entry takes a city or set of cities, it lays in pretty thick description of art and architecture that lets us, through Robert Langdon, vicariously travel to these notable places. Layer on top of it some philosophical/historical notion, in the case of Inferno you have Malthusian population bomb rhetoric that sends us into Florence.

In adapting for cinema, it necessarily trims out and simplifies the plot. We get far less of the description of places and things. Arguably the advantage of cinema is that instead of description we actually get to see these wonderful settings, but in this case I feel like it never takes the time to really explore this. So it doesn't even take advantage of the one thing it should have an edge in. In this way, I feel like this is the worst adaptation in the series (I'd argue Angels and Demons, which was a much less complex novel to begin with, is the superior adaptation).

So even as a fan of the series I can't recommend this. Also, I wonder if Assassin's Creed has taken over some of the series' mantle, letting you roam historical reconstructions of these grand cities (AC2 puts you in Florence, and expansion put you into Rome). I suppose I will have to check out that adaptation to see how the film manages that feeling.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #519 on: February 19, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
Sunset Song

Well, that was lovely and heartbreaking. A gorgeous pastoral with a fine performance by Agyness Dyne anchoring the film.

Maybe my favorite shot of the year: