Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 684368 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #630 on: March 09, 2017, 06:08:55 AM »
Out of Sight
Steven Soderbergh (1998)

You don't fool me, movie. You think just before you have a fancy prison-break plot and crime and a shiny Steven Soderbergh directing you I am going to fall for it? I can see through your tricks, your deceptions. This is not heist George Clooney, this is seductive George Clooney. This is a kissing movie!

Which is a good thing because the plot is not that excellent. That bank robbery at the beggining is loads of fun but a bit hard to believe. It is a great way to find understand who the Clooney character is, but still. The real joy of the film is the chemistry between Clooney and who it turns out is Jennifer Lopez. There are few movies as sexy as this one.

The rest of the cast is diverse and colourful - and I don't mean Don Cheadle. Well, I do, but not in that way. They pass the "fun to hang out with" test that almost always makes a movie better. The final plan is not the mastermind stuff of Ocean's Eleven, but that's okay.

7/10
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #631 on: March 09, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Eddie Redmayne plays a boring character the most boring way imaginable. Ending like a wet fart.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #632 on: March 09, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
Get Out (2017)

The most important thing that needs to be said about this film is that Armond White is an incredible dick. I was all set to make a joke about how of course the one critic to pan Get Out is named White and then I found out that he's an African-American man. That doesn't make his critical opinion of the film somehow more biting. It is not random that his review of Get Out appeared in the National Review, a conservative magazine, because his response to this is the role that people like Clarence Thomas, Allen West or Ben Carson have long played. He finds his niche giving comfort to the comfortable on issues of race. Indeed, in his conception, the villain here is Jordan Peele for daring to make white folk uncomfortable with accusations of racial bias.

Long before the film take a turn for the outright horror, it marinates us in the uneasy. It is a cold war of microaggressions that we fear, or fear on behalf of the protagonist, could erupt into a hot war at any moment. Because that is (we take, being white I cannot speak of experience) what it is like to be Black. It is a narrow line between that extra bit of scrutiny a professed woke white person might nevertheless offer and George Zimmerman feeling the need to play cop. Armond White critiques the film as shallow, but that's because he doesn't want to accept its depths and the way it not only contextualizes black paranoia but takes a curious twist on cultural appropriation. Race in America is a great point of tension, and Peele adapts it into the genre that is all about tension.

It feels patronizing to praise this as a great debut film, it is essentially flawless, and likely will remain one of best, if not the best, films of the year.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #633 on: March 09, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »

Eddie Redmayne plays a boring character the most boring way imaginable. Ending like a wet fart.
I would write a rebuttal, but I don't know how to tackle that opinion.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #634 on: March 09, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
Get Out (2017)

It feels patronizing to praise this as a great debut film, it is essentially flawless, and likely will remain one of best, if not the best, films of the year.
I didn't write about it because it seemed that everything had already been said. Looking for a flaw all I had was that the slow burn beginning was perhaps too slow, though it is layered with wonderful ideas when I think back, like the whole story about the track star grandfather. There are also interesting subtle touches, like how the daughter has Fruit Loops (colors) and milk (white) but doesn't mix the two. The film is not as striking as The VVitch, but it's as clever as The Cabin in the Woods.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #635 on: March 09, 2017, 03:26:06 PM »

But I put so much thought and care into my argument ;)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #636 on: March 10, 2017, 07:38:55 AM »
Medicine For Melancholy (2008)

Obligatory catchup on films by the director of my favorite film last year. This feels a lot in the vein of Before Sunrise only the presumed sex happens at the beginning of the film. We don't know why these two ended up hooking up, but by god we're going to be confused, as they have so very little chemistry at least to begin with, and arguably throughout the day they spend together following. It does kind of answer the question of what would have happened if Jesse met someone less charismatic and interesting than Celine.

On the whole, it feels a lot longer than its 90 minutes, though it does have a few moments that suggest Moonlight could come from the same director.

C

A United Kingdom (2016)

Watched this a few days ago but wasn't feeling like reviewing. If Amma Asante's Belle was a distinguished Jane Austen-like costume drama adding the element of race and politics, this is a nearly as distinguished historical drama about race and politics. Their facing up prejudice through their interracial relationship feels standard enough (something I imagine will feel a lot like Loving, which I have sitting waiting to be watched), but I had no idea about the way the British government interfered. It basically lets David Oyelowo keep playing Martin Luther King, Jr., with a lot of impassioned speeches.

So I simultaneously thought it was really well made but also feel a certain distancing urge at the staid and grand nature of the story, not having the same humor of Belle or gritty vitality of A Way of Life. Either way, tell your parents to watch it. They'll love it.

B+

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #637 on: March 10, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »

Well, Redmayne does play a poorly written character with the same mannerisms of all his previous roles, so he has a point. Don't know what he's talking about with the ending though.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #638 on: March 10, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
I replied in the spoilers thread.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #639 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:51 PM »
Redmayne is playing a brilliant performance of a person on the autistic spectrum.  Having two kids on the spectrum, my whole family quickly recognized the symptoms and loved the vibrant (yes, vibrant) performance of a passionate, world-involved person with Asperger's syndrome.  He is my kid's hero, right now.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky